Trying to get DVD to play

Pat Brown-3
I have an ACER Aspire laptop. The Matsushita dvd-ram uj8b0a DVD/CD
player will load CDs without issue, but will not play DVDs. After some
research, I did some troubleshooting but even after this while it now
recognizes that there is a DVD mounted, and recognizes the title of
the DVD, it still won't play.

This is what I've done so far:

Ran apt-get install libdvd-pkg
Ran dpkg-reconfigure libdvd-pkg as suggested

I still get these messages after running these commands.

Unable to play video file
Unable to find requested software

Then I tried this;

Ran apt-get install VLC

Pat Brown
patmysterywriter.wixsite.com/pabrownhome

Having a soft heart in a hard world is courage, not weakness

Re: Trying to get DVD to play

Chris Roy-Smith
On 10/09/18 14:24, Pat Brown wrote:

> I have an ACER Aspire laptop. The Matsushita dvd-ram uj8b0a DVD/CD
> player will load CDs without issue, but will not play DVDs. After some
> research, I did some troubleshooting but even after this while it now
> recognizes that there is a DVD mounted, and recognizes the title of
> the DVD, it still won't play.
>
> This is what I've done so far:
>
> Ran apt-get install libdvd-pkg
> Ran dpkg-reconfigure libdvd-pkg as suggested
>
> I still get these messages after running these commands.
>
> Unable to play video file
> Unable to find requested software
>
> Then I tried this;
>
> Ran apt-get install VLC
>

> Pat Brown
> patmysterywriter.wixsite.com/pabrownhome
>
> Having a soft heart in a hard world is courage, not weakness

try the following article
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

regards, Chris Roy-Smith

Re: Trying to get DVD to play

Bret Busby-2
On 10/09/2018, Pat Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have an ACER Aspire laptop. The Matsushita dvd-ram uj8b0a DVD/CD
> player will load CDs without issue, but will not play DVDs. After some
> research, I did some troubleshooting but even after this while it now
> recognizes that there is a DVD mounted, and recognizes the title of
> the DVD, it still won't play.
>
> This is what I've done so far:
>
> Ran apt-get install libdvd-pkg
> Ran dpkg-reconfigure libdvd-pkg as suggested
>
> I still get these messages after running these commands.
>
> Unable to play video file
> Unable to find requested software
>
> Then I tried this;
>
> Ran apt-get install VLC
>

> Pat Brown
> patmysterywriter.wixsite.com/pabrownhome
>
> Having a soft heart in a hard world is courage, not weakness

Suggestion:

It may be useful to include what version of Ubuntu you are using, and,
which model of Acer Aspire laptop, you are using.

For example, one of my Acer Aspire laptops is this V3-772G, currently
running UbuntuMATE 16.04.x.

The DVD drives may vary between the different Acer Aspire models, like
the CPU's and graphics systems, along with the other harware
components (this Acer Aspire model has a CPU with Haskell
architecture, which requires a specific driver, whereas another Acer
Aspire that I have, has an i5 CPU).

And, as has been previously demonstrated, whereas some Ubuntu Linux
versions need for drivers for the exFAT file structure of some SSD's,
to be installed, UbuntuMATE and Kylin apparently simply have "plug and
play" fundtionality for the particulr SSD's and that filesystem.

So, as is shown in my signature, the problem needs to be appropriately
defined, and, got right, to get the answer right.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."