Twin HD & Grub manu

ubuntu-users mailing list
Hi

I have a box which now has 2 (or 3) HD's with various OS's (U16.04 / Win7 &
U18.04 / U19./04) this box shares a monitor with another PC

When I boot I would "like" to be able to choose from the above OS's, but I can
only choose the OS on one or the other HD if I go into Bios and change the boot
order each time, to make it harder, I have to keep swapping the monitor back to
this box as it's automatic, and switches to the other PC every time the screen
goes blank during boot

How can I get all the OS's on Grub(2) Menu?

I thought that during boot the OS's were scanned and added

Re: Twin HD & Grub manu

Liam Proven
On Thu, 12 Sep 2019 at 12:10, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> How can I get all the OS's on Grub(2) Menu?
>
> I thought that during boot the OS's were scanned and added

They should be.

When you choose one HD or the other, and boot the machine, can you see
the contents of the other drive(s)?

I suggest:

* boot from your preferred HD
* make sure that all partitions on all drives are mounted
* from a terminal, run ``sudo update-grub''

Re: Twin HD & Grub manu

ubuntu-users mailing list
12 September 2019  at 15:08, Liam Proven wrote:
Re: Twin HD & Grub manu (at least in part)

>On Thu, 12 Sep 2019 at 12:10, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
><[hidden email]> wrote:

>> How can I get all the OS's on Grub(2) Menu?

>> I thought that during boot the OS's were scanned and added

>They should be.

>When you choose one HD or the other, and boot the machine, can you see
>the contents of the other drive(s)?

I can see both drives, If I boot Win7 the other partitions are not readable but
are there, if I boot any Ubuntu the others are mounted (AFAIR) the Win7
partition is on,y mounted "if" I try to access files on it

>I suggest:

>* boot from your preferred HD
>* make sure that all partitions on all drives are mounted
>* from a terminal, run ``sudo update-grub''

I have done that (after editing etc/default/grub)

Re: Twin HD & Grub manu Update

ubuntu-users mailing list
12 September 2019  at 18:21, Grizzly via ubuntu-users wrote:
Re: Twin HD & Grub manu (at least in part)

>12 September 2019  at 15:08, Liam Proven wrote:
>Re: Twin HD & Grub manu (at least in part)

>>I suggest:
>
>>* boot from your preferred HD
>>* make sure that all partitions on all drives are mounted
>>* from a terminal, run ``sudo update-grub''

I just tested that, booted, mounted all partitions on all drives

#sudo update-grub

normal screen output (maybe a little sparse) showing 18.04, 16.04 & Win7

#shutdown now -r

grub menu then shows (TTBOMR)

Ubuntu
Advance Options for Ubuntu
MemTest (something)
MemTest (Something else)
Ubuntu 16.04 (then the kernel number)
Advanced Options for Ubuntu 16.04 (then the kernel number)
Advanced Options for Ubuntu 14.04 (then the same kernel number)

Firstly I don't still have Ubuntu 14.04, it was updated to 16.04 in 2016, and
on to 16.04.6 when that last point release came out

I do have Win7 on same drive as 16.04

of the (main) options
Ubuntu works fine AFAICS
Ubuntu 16.04 locked up as soon as I tried to get a terminal
Advanced Ubuntu 16.04 [Ubuntu] locked up as soon as I tried to get a terminal
Advanced Ubuntu 16.04 [Repair / Resume] let me get a terminal
Advanced Ubuntu 14.04 [Ubuntu] starts Win7 ??? which went thru a repair phase,
rebooted, then worked (choose "Advanced Ubuntu 14.04 [Ubuntu]" again) fine
AFAICS

Totally lost now, I hoped for something like

Ubuntu 18.04 (or the current version)
Advance Options for Ubuntu 18.04 (ditto)
MemTest (something)
MemTest (Something else)
Ubuntu 16.04 (or the other Ubuntu version)
Advanced Options for Ubuntu 16.04 (ditto)
Win7