Two problems with UbuntuMATE 19-10 - mouseover and shotwell

Two problems with UbuntuMATE 19-10 - mouseover and shotwell

Bret Busby-2
Hello.

On both of my UbuntuMATE 19.10 installations, the mouseover does not
work. On previous version numbers, a mouseover would cause to be
displayed, a description of the item, and. now, especially with new
and unknown icons in the panel, I can not find what are they.

Also, whilst I had no problems using shotwell in 16.04.x, and earlier
LTS versions, in 19.10, it does not work. Shotwell in 19.10, tells me
that a camera is tied up by another application, which needs to be
shut down. But, using the file manager caja, I can access the images
in the camera, and copy them to the computer, as long as I do it
before shotwell or whatever, severs the connection with the camera,
which then is no longer mounted.

But, then, connecting the camera to a 16.04.6 installation, works
okay, and shotwell on the 16.04 installation, works fine, as it always
has so done, in my experience (before 19.10_).

I do not know whether these two problems, are problems of Ubuntu
v19.10, or, problems of new versions of the individual packages (the
mouse driver and shotwell).

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

Re: Two problems with UbuntuMATE 19-10 - mouseover and shotwell

Colin Law

On Sun, 27 Oct 2019, 15:05 Bret Busby, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello.

On both of my UbuntuMATE 19.10 installations, the mouseover does not
work. On previous version numbers, a mouseover would cause to be
displayed, a description of the item, and. now, especially with new
and unknown icons in the panel, I can not find what are they.

Also, whilst I had no problems using shotwell in 16.04.x, and earlier
LTS versions, in 19.10, it does not work. Shotwell in 19.10, tells me
that a camera is tied up by another application, which needs to be
shut down. But, using the file manager caja, I can access the images
in the camera, and copy them to the computer, as long as I do it
before shotwell or whatever, severs the connection with the camera,
which then is no longer mounted.

On standard Ubuntu you just have to unmount the camera in Nautilus, then shotwell can access it.

I have not noticed anything odd about the icons but I am not at my computer so can't look to see if I understand what you are saying.

Colin

But, then, connecting the camera to a 16.04.6 installation, works
okay, and shotwell on the 16.04 installation, works fine, as it always
has so done, in my experience (before 19.10_).

I do not know whether these two problems, are problems of Ubuntu
v19.10, or, problems of new versions of the individual packages (the
mouse driver and shotwell).

--
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

Re: Two problems with UbuntuMATE 19-10 - mouseover and shotwell

Little Girl
Hey there,

Bret Busby wrote:

>On both of my UbuntuMATE 19.10 installations, the mouseover does not
>work. On previous version numbers, a mouseover would cause to be
>displayed, a description of the item, and. now, especially with new
>and unknown icons in the panel, I can not find what are they.

This is a quick fix in dconf Editor (in the event that you've never
used it before, be careful playing around in this program because
it's powerful, but I highly recommend exploring it and seeing if
there are settings you'd like to change). I can't remember if it's
installed by default or not, but if not, it's in the package manager.

Without further ado, this should solve it:

1) Open dconf Editor from your menu or type this command in a
terminal window to open it:

        dconf-editor

2) Browse to this setting and make sure there's a check in the "Value"
column:
        org --> mate --> panel --> general --> tooltips-enabled

3) Click the "Set to Default" button to save the change.

4) Close the program.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

Re: Two problems with UbuntuMATE 19-10 - mouseover and shotwell

ubuntu-users mailing list
On Sun, 27 Oct 2019 14:20:04 -0400, Little Girl wrote:
>I can't remember if it's installed by default or not, but if not, it's
>in the package manager.

Hi,

it's possible to reset the value by command line by running

  gsettings reset org.mate.panel tooltips-enabled

or to enable it by setting it to "true" by running

  gsettings set org.mate.panel tooltips-enabled true

To check the current value run

  gsettings get org.mate.panel tooltips-enabled

Informations about the settings are provided and editing settings could
be done with the commands "dconf" and "gsettings", see

  man dconf
  dconf help
  man gsettings
  gsettings help

The commands could be used in scripts, you e.g. could pipe output to
search for something, e.g.

  gsettings list-schemas | grep panel

Actually dconf is just a configuration file, see

  ls -hl ~/.config/dconf/user
  file ~/.config/dconf/user
  strings ~/.config/dconf/user

Unfortunately it's a binary blob (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dconf#dconf_database ) and unfortunately
not everything seems to be editable with the "dconf" and "gsettings"
command, sometimes it's seemingly required that in the first place a
value needs to be set by an application's preferences menu, before
editing it via the commands seems to be possible.

Dconf is one of the most painful steps in the wrong direction ever made.

Regards,
Ralf

On Sun, 27 Oct 2019 17:06:01 +0000, Colin Law wrote:
>On standard Ubuntu you just have to unmount the camera in Nautilus,
>then shotwell can access it.

Caja and Nautilus might use gvfs and gvfs might auto-mount the
camera, even when not explecitely running those file browser, while
shotwell seems not to do so. I might be mistaken, however, gvfs is
another GNOMEish step in the wrong direction. While it's more or less
impossible to get rid of dconf, getting rid of GVFS works for me since
years by just replacing it with dummy packages.

To learn how to build a "fake" or "meta" package this not really
obsolete howto is still better, than any new howto I know:

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-helpers.en.html

A control file could look like this:

# cat /mnt/moonstudio/usr/src/dummies/gvfs
Standards-Version: 3.9.2

Package: gvfs
Version: 2016:07-13-moonstudio
Maintainer: Weremouse <[hidden email]>
Architecture: all

Just running equivs-build gvfs will build a dummy package. However,
some users are probably used to GVFS, so not everybody might be
comfortable with a dummy package.

Re: Two problems with UbuntuMATE 19-10 - mouseover and shotwell

Bret Busby-2
On 27/10/2019, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Oct 2019 14:20:04 -0400, Little Girl wrote:
>>I can't remember if it's installed by default or not, but if not, it's
>>in the package manager.
>
> Hi,
>
> it's possible to reset the value by command line by running
>
>   gsettings reset org.mate.panel tooltips-enabled
>
> or to enable it by setting it to "true" by running
>
>   gsettings set org.mate.panel tooltips-enabled true
>
> To check the current value run
>
>   gsettings get org.mate.panel tooltips-enabled

That returns "true".

On Sun, 27 Oct 2019 22:28:42 +0000, Bret Busby wrote:
>>   gsettings get org.mate.panel tooltips-enabled
>That returns "true".

So it's obviously not the culprit. You could search all available Mate
related schemas and keys recursively for anything that might be related
to tooltips.

  gsettings --help
  Unknown command --help

  Usage:
    gsettings --version
    gsettings [--schemadir SCHEMADIR] COMMAND [ARGS…]

  Commands:
    help                      Show this information
    list-schemas              List installed schemas
    list-relocatable-schemas  List relocatable schemas
    list-keys                 List keys in a schema
    list-children             List children of a schema
    list-recursively          List keys and values, recursively
    range                     Queries the range of a key
    describe                  Queries the description of a key
    get                       Get the value of a key
    set                       Set the value of a key
    reset                     Reset the value of a key
    reset-recursively         Reset all values in a given schema
    writable                  Check if a key is writable
    monitor                   Watch for changes

  Use “gsettings help COMMAND” to get detailed help.

There might be another related setting, but it also could be a bug.

Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:

>On Sun, 27 Oct 2019 14:20:04 -0400, Little Girl wrote:
>>I can't remember if it's installed by default or not, but if not,
>>it's in the package manager.
>
>it's possible to reset the value by command line by running
>
>  gsettings reset org.mate.panel tooltips-enabled
>
>or to enable it by setting it to "true" by running
>
>  gsettings set org.mate.panel tooltips-enabled true
>
>To check the current value run
>
>  gsettings get org.mate.panel tooltips-enabled

Thanks. I wasn't aware of that. It can also be interesting to poke
around in all the nooks and crannies of the interface, though.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.