Two xfce questions

jmak
Hi,
I've just downloaded and installed xfce and I have two questions regarding the configuration of the panel. First, how to position the panel to the top, like it is in gnome. And second, how to force it to stretch from side to side.
Thanks,
J. Mak

Re: Two xfce questions

jani.monoses@gmail.com
j Mak wrote:

> Hi,
> I've just downloaded and installed xfce and I have two questions
> regarding the configuration of the panel. First, how to position the
> panel to the top, like it is in gnome. And second, how to force it to
> stretch from side to side.

It looks like the panel has no config UI for specifying position. But
you can drag it to the top if you click on either of it's edges.
You can only stretch it if using the taskbar panel plugin, which in a
way replicates the functionality of xftaskbar, but as a plugin and has a
stretch option.
In xfce 4.3 both of these issues are solved (UI for position setting,
stretch as a panel option) but that will only be available in dapper.

Jani

Re: Two xfce questions

jmak
Thanks for the clues.

J. Mak

--- Jani Monoses <[hidden email]> wrote:

> j Mak wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > I've just downloaded and installed xfce and I have
> two questions
> > regarding the configuration of the panel. First,
> how to position the
> > panel to the top, like it is in gnome. And second,
> how to force it to
> > stretch from side to side.
>
> It looks like the panel has no config UI for
> specifying position. But
> you can drag it to the top if you click on either of
> it's edges.
> You can only stretch it if using the taskbar panel
> plugin, which in a
> way replicates the functionality of xftaskbar, but
> as a plugin and has a
> stretch option.
> In xfce 4.3 both of these issues are solved (UI for
> position setting,
> stretch as a panel option) but that will only be
> available in dapper.
>
> Jani

Re: Two xfce questions

Martin Franklin
j Mak wrote:

> Thanks for the clues.
>
> J. Mak
>

> --- Jani Monoses <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>j Mak wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>I've just downloaded and installed xfce and I have
>>
>>two questions
>>
>>>regarding the configuration of the panel. First,
>>
>>how to position the
>>
>>>panel to the top, like it is in gnome. And second,
>>
>>how to force it to
>>
>>>stretch from side to side.
>>
>>It looks like the panel has no config UI for
>>specifying position. But
>>you can drag it to the top if you click on either of
>>it's edges.
>>You can only stretch it if using the taskbar panel
>>plugin, which in a
>>way replicates the functionality of xftaskbar, but
>>as a plugin and has a
>>stretch option.
>>In xfce 4.3 both of these issues are solved (UI for
>>position setting,
>>stretch as a panel option) but that will only be
>>available in dapper.
>>
>>Jani

In xfce 4.2.2 you can add a task bar plugin for the panel that when
configured to 'expand' will also stretch the panel...

Martin