UEFI on Ubuntu

Marcos Barbosa
How do I force partman to particionate HD like EFI BIOS? I have a HP
DM1-3250BR and support UEFI, but works with BIOS legacy as default (no
BIOS option to change that). I like to try install GRUB EFI and see if
works.

Best regards.

--
Marcos Barbosa <[hidden email]>

Re: UEFI on Ubuntu

Kaj Haulrich-2
On 03/26/2012 01:09 PM, Marcos Barbosa wrote:
> How do I force partman to particionate HD like EFI BIOS? I have a HP
> DM1-3250BR and support UEFI, but works with BIOS legacy as default (no
> BIOS option to change that). I like to try install GRUB EFI and see if
> works.

Assuming you want to install Ubuntu on the entire harddisk and thus
replace Windows, you should let the partitioner create an EFI-partition
as the first one (scroll down the list of file system options) - For
example sda1 (primary partition, 200 MB). Ubuntu will then install
grub-efi on that partition. Other partitions as usual, for example sda2
= / , sda3 = /home and sda4 = swap. Then let the HP boot from UEFI.

HTH

Kaj Haulrich.
--
--- Sent from a 100% Microsoft-free computer---
--------- Running Linux Kubuntu 12.04 ---------

Re: UEFI on Ubuntu

Marcos Barbosa
Hello Kaj,

Ubuntu can't detect EFI. Just BIOS legacy mode.

Best regards

On 03/26/2012 03:54 PM, Marcos Barbosa wrote:

> Ubuntu can't detect EFI. Just BIOS legacy mode.

Marcos, please don't top-post. If you want people here to help you out,
most prefer to bottom-post. So I will reply blelow:

> 2012/3/26 Kaj Haulrich<[hidden email]>:
>> On 03/26/2012 01:09 PM, Marcos Barbosa wrote:
>>>
>>> How do I force partman to particionate HD like EFI BIOS? I have a HP
>>> DM1-3250BR and support UEFI, but works with BIOS legacy as default (no
>>> BIOS option to change that). I like to try install GRUB EFI and see if
>>> works.
>>

>> Assuming you want to install Ubuntu on the entire harddisk and thus replace
>> Windows, you should let the partitioner create an EFI-partition as the first
>> one (scroll down the list of file system options) - For example sda1
>> (primary partition, 200 MB). Ubuntu will then install grub-efi on that
>> partition. Other partitions as usual, for example sda2 = / , sda3 = /home
>> and sda4 = swap. Then let the HP boot from UEFI.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Kaj Haulrich.
>> --
>> --- Sent from a 100% Microsoft-free computer---
>> --------- Running Linux Kubuntu 12.04 ---------
>>
>> --

Marcos, you said that Ubuntu can't detect EFI. Don't you mean that the
UEFI boot sector on that HP machine can't detect Ubuntu? - Anyway I'm
typing this on a HP Elite 1110 machine which came with Windows 7
pre-installed and booting from the HP's version of UEFI. First thing I
did was to wipe Windows completely. Then I installed (K)ubuntu 12.04
(64-bit) while remembering to create an EFI-partition (sda1 - 200MB) and
tell the installer to put GRUB on that partition. All other partitions
as usual (ext4). The thing boots in 15 seconds and runs as a greased
lightning.

The UEFI boot menu is a little confusing - or rather different from the
old BIOS menu - but just letting it boot from the top option (UEFI)
works fine.

HTH
Kaj Haulrich.

--- Sent from a 100% Microsoft-free computer---
--------- Running Linux Kubuntu 12.04 ---------

Re: UEFI on Ubuntu

Marcos Barbosa
> Marcos, you said that Ubuntu can't detect EFI. Don't you mean that the UEFI
> boot sector on that HP machine can't detect Ubuntu? - Anyway I'm typing this
> on a HP Elite 1110 machine which came with Windows 7 pre-installed and
> booting from the HP's version of UEFI. First thing I did was to wipe Windows
> completely. Then I installed (K)ubuntu 12.04 (64-bit) while remembering to
> create an EFI-partition (sda1 - 200MB) and tell the installer to put GRUB on
> that partition. All other partitions as usual (ext4). The thing boots in 15
> seconds and runs as a greased lightning.

How do that using Ubuntu alternate CD? I need encrypt root too. Two
partitions? one to /boot and another to /boot/efi?

On 03/26/2012 05:01 PM, Marcos Barbosa wrote:

>> Marcos, you said that Ubuntu can't detect EFI. Don't you mean that the UEFI
>> boot sector on that HP machine can't detect Ubuntu? - Anyway I'm typing this
>> on a HP Elite 1110 machine which came with Windows 7 pre-installed and
>> booting from the HP's version of UEFI. First thing I did was to wipe Windows
>> completely. Then I installed (K)ubuntu 12.04 (64-bit) while remembering to
>> create an EFI-partition (sda1 - 200MB) and tell the installer to put GRUB on
>> that partition. All other partitions as usual (ext4). The thing boots in 15
>> seconds and runs as a greased lightning.
>>
> How do that using Ubuntu alternate CD? I need encrypt root too. Two
> partitions? one to /boot and another to /boot/efi?

Marcos, those are not necessarily partitions, just mount-points. If you
create a partition for EFI  (sda1 - 200MB), the installer will create
those mount-points for you.

HTH
Kaj Haulrich.
--
--- Sent from a 100% Microsoft-free computer---
--------- Running Linux Kubuntu 12.04 ---------

Re: UEFI on Ubuntu

Marcos Barbosa
> Marcos, those are not necessarily partitions, just mount-points. If you
> create a partition for EFI  (sda1 - 200MB), the installer will create those
> mount-points for you.

How i create this partition? Inside partman during the installation?
If yes, the system detect the partition and configure automatically?

On 03/26/2012 09:07 PM, Marcos Barbosa wrote:
>> Marcos, those are not necessarily partitions, just mount-points. If you
>> create a partition for EFI  (sda1 - 200MB), the installer will create those
>> mount-points for you.
>

> How i create this partition? Inside partman during the installation?
> If yes, the system detect the partition and configure automatically?

Well, the installation process did that during the partitioning in my
case, but I used the ordinary 64-bit CD-iso , not the 'alternate' one. I
have no use for that since I only encrypt my /home partition, not the
entire disk.

BTW I'm not sure what you mean by 'partman', but I guess you mean the
partitioning during installation. I always use 'manual' - not the
automated options. Then you can delete, create, resize partitions and
set mount-points to your hearts content, including the EFI.

HTH
Kaj Haulrich.