Ubiquity not enabling hibernation in 17.04

Ubiquity not enabling hibernation in 17.04

Nate Graham
Hello all,
I've recently installed Kubuntu 17.04 on a bunch of machines and noticed
that they all got 2 GB swap files (smaller than their RAM) and
hibernation wasn't enabled.

I filed a bug
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/1699336) and
was told that not enabling hibernation by default was intentional.

Is there any chance we can revisit that decision? Hibernation is a
useful alternative to suspending, especially given the modern focus on
long laptop battery life.

Nate

Re: Ubiquity not enabling hibernation in 17.04

Gunnar Hjalmarsson
On 2017-06-29 19:54, Nate Graham wrote:
> Hello all,

> I've recently installed Kubuntu 17.04 on a bunch of machines and
> noticed that they all got 2 GB swap files (smaller than their RAM)
> and hibernation wasn't enabled.
>
> I filed a bug
> (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/1699336) and
>  was told that not enabling hibernation by default was intentional.
>
> Is there any chance we can revisit that decision? Hibernation is a
> useful alternative to suspending, especially given the modern focus
> on long laptop battery life.

I'd like to mention that we have a page in the Ubuntu desktop guide
about how to enable hibernation:

https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-help/power-hibernate.html

Not sure if it applies with a swap file instead of a partition.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj

Re: Ubiquity not enabling hibernation in 17.04

Dimitri John Ledkov
On 29 June 2017 at 18:54, Nate Graham <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
> I've recently installed Kubuntu 17.04 on a bunch of machines and noticed
> that they all got 2 GB swap files (smaller than their RAM) and hibernation
> wasn't enabled.
>
> I filed a bug
> (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/1699336) and was
> told that not enabling hibernation by default was intentional.
>
> Is there any chance we can revisit that decision? Hibernation is a useful
> alternative to suspending, especially given the modern focus on long laptop
> battery life.

At the time we have disabled, hybernation would fail way too often.
There was a very high failure to resume rate, across e.g. 1000
hybernate-resume cycles, on Ubuntu certified laptops in collaboration
with OEMs.

Currently, the state of the art is the deep suspend state, rather than
hybernation states. Thus modern laptops sleep is close to hybernation
in many ways, w.r.t. power usage. However, not the security.

Dimitri.