Ubuntu 16.04: screen unlock fails if my phone is plugged in?

Ubuntu 16.04: screen unlock fails if my phone is plugged in?

Paul Smith-2
I've been having this weird problem where _sometimes_ when I try to
unlock my screen I enter my password and hit ENTER and it just hangs
forever.  Other times it works fine.  Ubuntu 16.04.2.

I had figured out a workaround that avoided having to kill my session:
if I use C-A-Fn to get to another (graphical) login screen and log in
as another user (I had a test user account on the system), then use the
"Switch User" option to switch back to my first session, it unlocks my
screen.

However yesterday I found a smoking gun: it turns out this only happens
if my phone (Nexus 5 / Android) is plugged into my computer's USB port
(done to charge the phone).  If I unplug the phone then I can log in.

Does this ring any bells with anyone or does anyone have any thoughts
about where to look for logs, config settings, etc. that might be
involved?  Google doesn't help me much.

Now that I know what it is it's not such a big deal to work around it,
but it's still annoying.

Cheers!

Re: Ubuntu 16.04: screen unlock fails if my phone is plugged in?

Grizzly-4
03 March 2017  at 11:01, Paul Smith wrote:
Ubuntu 16.04: screen unlock fails i (at least in part)

Any chance you setup Pam to use that phone as a key?

On Fri, 2017-03-03 at 16:20 +0000, Grizzly wrote:
> Any chance you setup Pam to use that phone as a key?

Not knowingly, for sure :).

I have no idea how to do that, or to check whether it has been done.

And it can't be required because my screen unlocks fine without my
phone plugged in.  Also my phone doesn't wake up when I try to unlock
my screen.

Re: Ubuntu 16.04: screen unlock fails if my phone is plugged in?

Grizzly-4
03 March 2017  at 11:26, Paul Smith wrote:
Re: Ubuntu 16.04: screen unlock fai (at least in part)

>On Fri, 2017-03-03 at 16:20 +0000, Grizzly wrote:
>> Any chance you setup Pam to use that phone as a key?
>
>Not knowingly, for sure :).

>I have no idea how to do that, or to check whether it has been done.

You can check by looking at

/etc/pam.d/common-auth

with your favorite text editor

On Fri, 2017-03-03 at 17:55 +0000, Grizzly wrote:

> 03 March 2017  at 11:26, Paul Smith wrote:
> Re: Ubuntu 16.04: screen unlock fai (at least in part)
>
> >On Fri, 2017-03-03 at 16:20 +0000, Grizzly wrote:
> >> Any chance you setup Pam to use that phone as a key?
> >
> >Not knowingly, for sure :).
>
> >I have no idea how to do that, or to check whether it has been done.
>
> You can check by looking at
>
> /etc/pam.d/common-auth
>
> with your favorite text editor

Nothing strange-looking (to me) in there:

  $ grep '^[^#]' /etc/pam.d/common-auth
  auth    [success=1 default=ignore]      pam_unix.so nullok_secure
  auth    requisite                       pam_deny.so
  auth    required                        pam_permit.so
  auth    optional                        pam_cap.so