Ubuntu 16.10 Doesn't Reboot

Stephen Morris
Hi,

     I have an issue with Ubuntu 16.10 when I select reboot from the KDE
launcher or from the Gnome title bar, in that the Ubuntu boot graphic
flashes on the screen briefly and switches my monitor into power saving
mode but never reboots, I have to press the reset button on my desktop
pc to do the reboot. Has anybody seen this behaviour before and have an
idea what is required to rectify this?

regards,

Steve

Xen

Re: Ubuntu 16.10 Doesn't Reboot

Xen
Stephen Morris schreef op 06-11-2016 22:10:
> Hi,
>
>     I have an issue with Ubuntu 16.10 when I select reboot from the
> KDE launcher or from the Gnome title bar, in that the Ubuntu boot
> graphic flashes on the screen briefly and switches my monitor into
> power saving mode but never reboots, I have to press the reset button
> on my desktop pc to do the reboot. Has anybody seen this behaviour
> before and have an idea what is required to rectify this?

I can only suggest you try executing "sudo pm-reboot" to see if it
happens then as well. Oh wait, it's just "reboot" ;-).

sudo reboot.

Re: Ubuntu 16.10 Doesn't Reboot

Doug McGarrett

On 11/06/2016 03:17 PM, Xen wrote:

> Stephen Morris schreef op 06-11-2016 22:10:
>> Hi,
>>
>>     I have an issue with Ubuntu 16.10 when I select reboot from the
>> KDE launcher or from the Gnome title bar, in that the Ubuntu boot
>> graphic flashes on the screen briefly and switches my monitor into
>> power saving mode but never reboots, I have to press the reset button
>> on my desktop pc to do the reboot. Has anybody seen this behaviour
>> before and have an idea what is required to rectify this?
>
> I can only suggest you try executing "sudo pm-reboot" to see if it
> happens then as well. Oh wait, it's just "reboot" ;-).
>
> sudo reboot.

I assume that Ub 16.10 should react to the standard Linux command-line
(as root, or with sudo) "shutdown -r now"  without the quotes, of course.

--doug

Xen

Doug schreef op 06-11-2016 23:45:

>> I can only suggest you try executing "sudo pm-reboot" to see if it
>> happens then as well. Oh wait, it's just "reboot" ;-).
>>
>> sudo reboot.
>>

> I assume that Ub 16.10 should react to the standard Linux command-line
> (as root, or with sudo) "shutdown -r now"  without the quotes, of
> course.

Great for suggesting the more difficult command.

Here is another one:

systemctl reboot

But it is equally unnecessary in this sense.

Re: Ubuntu 16.10 Doesn't Reboot

A. Mani
On Mon, Nov 7, 2016 at 2:40 AM, Stephen Morris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>   I have an issue with Ubuntu 16.10 when I select reboot from the KDE
> launcher or from the Gnome title bar, in that the Ubuntu boot graphic
> flashes on the screen briefly and switches my monitor into power saving mode
> but never reboots, I have to press the reset button on my desktop pc to do
> the reboot. Has anybody seen this behaviour before and have an idea what is
> required to rectify this?

Yes, this happens in the 16.04 LTS (lowlatency, lowlatency-upstart,
generic kernels) possibly due to upgrading from earlier versions.

It is harder to diagnose shutdown

use any of the std commands

Best

A. Mani