Ubuntu 18.04.2 unresponsive on hd activity

Re: Ubuntu 18.04.2 unresponsive on hd activity

Colin Law
On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 at 01:22, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nobody can reproduce this? Ok nevermind.

I don't think you responded to my question about the Disks application
and SMART data.  Unless I missed it.

Colin

> > On Feb 27, 2019, at 4:05 AM, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Another shot in the dark:
> > https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Solid_state_drive#Continuous_TRIM

Re: Ubuntu 18.04.2 unresponsive on hd activity

Jack Haverty
FWIW, I had a machine that's been "locking up" about once a day for
about a week, and yesterday it locked up permanently and would only boot
into emergency mode.  The machine has 2 SATA hard disks and 1 SSD SATA
disk.   Ubuntu was installed onto the SSD, with /home put on the big HDD.

I cleaned connectors,swapped cables, swapped SATA ports, with no
differences.

I disconnected the SSD drive, and reinstalled Ubuntu onto a regular hard
disk, reinstalled a lot of other software, and got the machine
functioning again.

I plugged the SSD back in, and the machine started locking up again.  So
I unplugged the SSD and so far it works fine again.

Running 18.04.2; was 18.10 before the re-install but I decided to play
it safe and use the LTS version.

Seems like failing SSDs can cause lockups.

/Jack