Ubuntu 19.04 Desktop Keeps Crashing

Chris Carlson
Hello,

I'm running Ubuntu 19.04 on a Lenovo Ideapad 320 with 8GB of RAM and an AMD Radeon R7 series graphics card. Periodically, the screen will go black for a split second before returning me to the login screen. When I log back in, whatever applications I had open will be closed and any work will be lost. I experienced the same issue under Ubuntu 18.04 and Xubuntu 18.04 as well as Ubuntu 16.04. Anybody have any idea why this keeps happening and what I might do to stop it?

Thanks!

Re: Ubuntu 19.04 Desktop Keeps Crashing

Colin Law
On Tue, 7 May 2019 at 14:02, Chris Carlson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I'm running Ubuntu 19.04 on a Lenovo Ideapad 320 with 8GB of RAM and an AMD Radeon R7 series graphics card. Periodically, the screen will go black for a split second before returning me to the login screen. When I log back in, whatever applications I had open will be closed and any work will be lost. I experienced the same issue under Ubuntu 18.04 and Xubuntu 18.04 as well as Ubuntu 16.04. Anybody have any idea why this keeps happening and what I might do to stop it?

Next time it happens go and look in /var/log/syslog to see what is
there for the time at which it happened.

Colin

Re: Ubuntu 19.04 Desktop Keeps Crashing

Mike Marchywka
On Tue, May 07, 2019 at 02:12:06PM +0100, Colin Law wrote:

> On Tue, 7 May 2019 at 14:02, Chris Carlson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >

> > I'm running Ubuntu 19.04 on a Lenovo Ideapad 320 with 8GB of RAM and an AMD Radeon R7 series graphics card. Periodically, the screen will go black for a split second before returning me to the login screen. When I log back in, whatever applications I had open will be closed and any work will be lost. I experienced the same issue under Ubuntu 18.04 and Xubuntu 18.04 as well as Ubuntu 16.04. Anybody have any idea why this keeps happening and what I might do to stop it?
> >

> Next time it happens go and look in /var/log/syslog to see what is
> there for the time at which it happened.

I had some similar sporadic problems on a Latitude with Ubuntu 11 but I think it was getting
spurious requests to logout either from a bad input device and/or my developmental codei corrupting something.
Are you running anything questionable or are any of the input devices like pointers or
keyboard flakey? It sounds like a pretty specific failure mode and I'm not sure why
a flakey keyboard would only generate that specific problem but I did seem to notice
that when I replaced the keyboard ( eventually if I twisted the cable it
stopped working reliably ) and stopped doing a lot of development it got better
( and would restart from suspend more reliably lol).

> Colin

mike marchywka
306 charles cox
canton GA 30115
USA, Earth
[hidden email]
404-788-1216
ORCID: 0000-0001-9237-455X

On Tue, 7 May 2019 at 15:02, Chris Carlson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I'm running Ubuntu 19.04 on a Lenovo Ideapad 320 with 8GB of RAM and an AMD Radeon R7 series graphics card.

With GNOME?

Are you using Wayland or X.org?

Whichever you use, try the other.

On Tue, 7 May 2019 at 15:00, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 7 May 2019 at 15:02, Chris Carlson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >

> > I'm running Ubuntu 19.04 on a Lenovo Ideapad 320 with 8GB of RAM and an AMD Radeon R7 series graphics card.
>
> With GNOME?
>
> Are you using Wayland or X.org?
>
> Whichever you use, try the other.

The fact that it also happened with Xubuntu (assuming the OP was not
using gnome with Xubuntu) is significant.  Though it could be a
different problem of course.

Chris, is it just logging you out or rebooting the machine?

Colin

Re: Ubuntu 19.04 Desktop Keeps Crashing

Chris Carlson
It only logs me out. I forgot to mention that, 9 times out of 10, my laptop will make a loud whirring sound shortly before crashing.

On Tue, 7 May 2019 at 16:19, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The fact that it also happened with Xubuntu (assuming the OP was not
> using gnome with Xubuntu) is significant.  Though it could be a
> different problem of course.

Ah, right, good point -- sorry, I missed that.

So it's X.org crashing, then.

#1 suspect would probably be graphics drivers, IMHO.

On Tue, 7 May 2019 at 16:27, Chris Carlson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It only logs me out. I forgot to mention that, 9 times out of 10, my laptop will make a loud whirring sound shortly before crashing.

Could I ask you to please use plain text on the list, and put your
quote _below_ the text that you're replying to?

Plain text is under the 3-dot button next to the Send  button in Hotmail.

Do you know what graphics driver you have installed for your AMD GPU chip?

On Tue, 7 May 2019 at 15:27, Chris Carlson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It only logs me out. I forgot to mention that, 9 times out of 10, my laptop will make a loud whirring sound shortly before crashing.

Is it the fan running?  If so that probably means the processor is
running flat out so the fan comes on to cool it down.  Not unusual
before a crash.

Colin

Re: Ubuntu 19.04 Desktop Keeps Crashing

Liam Proven
On Tue, 7 May 2019 at 17:31, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is it the fan running?  If so that probably means the processor is
> running flat out so the fan comes on to cool it down.  Not unusual
> before a crash.

Agreed -- or the GPU...

It's very noticeable on my Thinkpad X220.

In Ubuntu, the CPU fans only spin up at login, when I launch
SeaMonkey, and occasionally when it's under heavy load. In normal use
the laptop is mostly silent and cool.

In Windows 10, the same machine's fans run audibly most of the time
and the base of the machine becomes so hot it's painful to have it on
bare legs. This is a very rarely-used copy of Windows without much
installed, too...

On 5/7/19 11:14 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
> On Tue, 7 May 2019 at 16:27, Chris Carlson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> It only logs me out. I forgot to mention that, 9 times out of 10, my laptop will make a loud whirring sound shortly before crashing.
> Could I ask you to please use plain text on the list, and put your
> quote _below_ the text that you're replying to?
>
> Plain text is under the 3-dot button next to the Send  button in Hotmail.
>
> Do you know what graphics driver you have installed for your AMD GPU chip?

I haven't installed any additional drivers. So, I guess I'm using
whatever Ubuntu 19.04 chose for my system. I ran "lshw -c video" and
this is what it returned:

   *-display
        product: Wani [Radeon R5/R6/R7 Graphics]
        vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
        physical id: 1
        bus info: pci@0000:00:01.0
        version: c8
        width: 64 bits
        clock: 33MHz
        capabilities: pm pciexpress msi vga_controller bus_master
cap_list rom
        configuration: driver=amdgpu latency=0
        resources: irq:49 memory:e0000000-efffffff
memory:f0000000-f07fffff ioport:2000(size=256) memory:f0d00000-f0d3ffff
memory:c0000-dffff

And this is what it says under Settings > Device:

AMD® A12-9720p radeon r7, 12 compute cores 4c+8g × 4

On Tue, 7 May 2019 at 18:31, Chris Carlson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I haven't installed any additional drivers. So, I guess I'm using
> whatever Ubuntu 19.04 chose for my system.

Hmm. It might be worth trying them. This may help:

https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-amd-radeon-drivers-on-ubuntu-18-10-cosmic-cuttlefish-linux

I'm trying to install Disco in a VM right now so I can see how it works...

On Tue, 7 May 2019 at 19:11, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm trying to install Disco in a VM right now so I can see how it works...

Done. Not without issues but done.

In theory, just open the Applications overview and type Software. It's
in the Software and Updates tool, under the Drivers tab.