Ubuntu 20.04 - Document Viewer / evince

Ian Bruntlett
Hi,

I was reading a PDF downloaded from WikiPedia (about the "Executable and Linkable Format"). I wanted to have two windows open with the same document in - one for the initial diagrams and one for the bit I was concentrating on.

Sadly, evince checks to see if the file you give it is already open and jumps to that window. Fine but... I'd like 2 or more windows for some PDF files.

Any idea how to get around it? I've tried running evince from the command line but to no avail.

TIA,

Ian

Re: Ubuntu 20.04 - Document Viewer / evince

Tony Arnold-3
Hi Ian,

On Sun, 2020-10-04 at 20:51 +0100, Ian Bruntlett wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was reading a PDF downloaded from WikiPedia (about the "Executable
> and Linkable Format"). I wanted to have two windows open with the
> same document in - one for the initial diagrams and one for the bit I
> was concentrating on.
>
> Sadly, evince checks to see if the file you give it is already open
> and jumps to that window. Fine but... I'd like 2 or more windows for
> some PDF files.
>
> Any idea how to get around it? I've tried running evince from the
> command line but to no avail.
Open the document and then the menu button (the button with the 3
horizontal lines) has an option to open a copy. That will open a second
window showing the same document.

Regards,
Tony.
--
Tony Arnold MBCS, CITP | Senior IT Security Analyst | Directorate of IT Services | Office 1, Kilburn Building | The University of Manchester | Manchester M13 9PL | T: +44 161 275 6093 | M: +44 773 330 0039

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Ubuntu 20.04 - Document Viewer / evince

Ian Bruntlett
Hi Tony,

On Sun, 4 Oct 2020 at 21:30, Tony Arnold <[hidden email]> wrote:
Open the document and then the menu button (the button with the 3
horizontal lines) has an option to open a copy. That will open a second
window showing the same document.

Ooh. Subtle. Thanks for your help, much appreciated :)

BW,

Ian

Re: Ubuntu 20.04 - Document Viewer / evince

ubuntu-users mailing list
On Sun, 4 Oct 2020 19:37:55 -0400, Sheemon Lists wrote:
>Acrobat

Don't use acroread for Linux!

Without taking my opinion regarding the functionality of this software
or my opinion related to Adobe into account, installing the
stone-age Linux version, seemingly discontinued somewhere around 2013,
is highly insecure, especially due to JS and flash, so even if you like
this software and the company, using acroread for Linux is a big
mistake.