Ubuntu Algorithms Team

bdfhjk

Hello,

I’m going to create Ubuntu Algorithms Team, which will be responsible for:

* Helping developers in the implementation of the latest and hard to understand algorithms
* Detection of ‘bottlenecks’ at boot time and during run time of Ubuntu and coming up with ways to improve their
* Informing the community about the latest scientific works and ideas, where they can be of use in Ubuntu, as well as some advices on the practical use of existing algorithms.

This would be done through:
* Establishment of the Launchpad page, where developers will be able to submit their problems and situations that most slow down the program using the launchpad bug system. UAT members will seek a solution, or state that at the present state of science, solution does not exist.
* Issuing a monthly review of the major scientific achievements that may be related to Ubuntu
* Internal training programmers in the field of algorithms and data structures (useful especially for beginners)

Please write your comments.
This team will be useful to you?
Do you need training in algorithms?
Will I find other people who also are interested in algorithms and will want to join with me to help community as member of the Ubuntu Algorithms Team?

Marek Bardoński

Re: Ubuntu Algorithms Team

Tobia Tesan
Il 10/02/2012 23:21, bdfhjk ha scritto:
> Please write your comments.

Simply great, IMHO.

Another much needed step in the still quite hole-y ladder that connects
computer /science/ to... er, computers.

--
Tobia Tesan
<[hidden email]>

Re: Ubuntu Algorithms Team

Janne Jokitalo-3
On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 11:21:04PM +0100, bdfhjk wrote:
> Hello,
> I’m going to create Ubuntu Algorithms Team, which will be responsible for:
<snip>
> * Detection of ‘bottlenecks’ at boot time and during run time of Ubuntu and
> coming up with ways to improve their
<snip>
> This would be done through:
<snip>
> * Internal training programmers in the field of algorithms and data
> structures (useful especially for beginners)
>
> Please write your comments.
> This team will be useful to you?
> Do you need training in algorithms?
> Will I find other people who also are interested in algorithms and will
> want to join with me to help community as member of the Ubuntu Algorithms
> Team?

Hi, I trimmed the stuff I didn't know that much about, but left what I
considered useful (either to me, or the distribution) or what I thought would be
beneficial to me. I admit I need lots of practice in this area, so I would be
very interested in this sort of thing.

So, o/ && +1 from /me.

--
Jaska (aka astraljava @ irc.freenode.net)

Re: Ubuntu Algorithms Team

Rohan Garg-2
Yep, I'd be interested in this initiative and would most likely
actively take part in the team ( I have no idea about algorithms and
would love to learn more ).

Best
Rohan Garg

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 3:51 AM, bdfhjk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I’m going to create Ubuntu Algorithms Team, which will be responsible for:
>
> * Helping developers in the implementation of the latest and hard to
> understand algorithms
> * Detection of ‘bottlenecks’ at boot time and during run time of Ubuntu and
> coming up with ways to improve their
> * Informing the community about the latest scientific works and ideas, where
> they can be of use in Ubuntu, as well as some advices on the practical use
> of existing algorithms.
>
> This would be done through:
> * Establishment of the Launchpad page, where developers will be able to
> submit their problems and situations that most slow down the program using
> the launchpad bug system. UAT members will seek a solution, or state that at
> the present state of science, solution does not exist.
> * Issuing a monthly review of the major scientific achievements that may be
> related to Ubuntu
> * Internal training programmers in the field of algorithms and data
> structures (useful especially for beginners)
>

> Please write your comments.
> This team will be useful to you?
> Do you need training in algorithms?
> Will I find other people who also are interested in algorithms and will want
> to join with me to help community as member of the Ubuntu Algorithms Team?
>
> Marek Bardoński

Re: Ubuntu Algorithms Team

Robert Collins
On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 11:21 AM, bdfhjk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I’m going to create Ubuntu Algorithms Team, which will be responsible for:
>
> * Helping developers in the implementation of the latest and hard to
> understand algorithms
> * Detection of ‘bottlenecks’ at boot time and during run time of Ubuntu and
> coming up with ways to improve their
> * Informing the community about the latest scientific works and ideas, where
> they can be of use in Ubuntu, as well as some advices on the practical use
> of existing algorithms.
>
> This would be done through:
> * Establishment of the Launchpad page, where developers will be able to
> submit their problems and situations that most slow down the program using
> the launchpad bug system. UAT members will seek a solution, or state that at
> the present state of science, solution does not exist.
> * Issuing a monthly review of the major scientific achievements that may be
> related to Ubuntu
> * Internal training programmers in the field of algorithms and data
> structures (useful especially for beginners)
>

> Please write your comments.
> This team will be useful to you?
> Do you need training in algorithms?
> Will I find other people who also are interested in algorithms and will want
> to join with me to help community as member of the Ubuntu Algorithms Team?
>
> Marek Bardoński

I'm fascinated by algorithms, so I'll definitely participate. I have
some doubts that new algorithms are needed for most poorly performing
programs - but there is only one way to see ;)

-Rob

Re: Ubuntu Algorithms Team

Yash Jain
I am a kind of newbie in algorithm design, it would be great if we
have such a forum where we can discuss on Algorithms.

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 3:51 AM, bdfhjk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm going to create Ubuntu Algorithms Team, which will be responsible for:
>
> * Helping developers in the implementation of the latest and hard to
> understand algorithms
> * Detection of 'bottlenecks' at boot time and during run time of Ubuntu and
> coming up with ways to improve their
> * Informing the community about the latest scientific works and ideas, where
> they can be of use in Ubuntu, as well as some advices on the practical use
> of existing algorithms.
>
> This would be done through:
> * Establishment of the Launchpad page, where developers will be able to
> submit their problems and situations that most slow down the program using
> the launchpad bug system. UAT members will seek a solution, or state that at
> the present state of science, solution does not exist.
> * Issuing a monthly review of the major scientific achievements that may be
> related to Ubuntu
> * Internal training programmers in the field of algorithms and data
> structures (useful especially for beginners)
>

> Please write your comments.
> This team will be useful to you?
> Do you need training in algorithms?
> Will I find other people who also are interested in algorithms and will want
> to join with me to help community as member of the Ubuntu Algorithms Team?
>
> Marek Bardoński

Re: Ubuntu Algorithms Team

José Luís Faria
Em 10-02-2012 22:21, bdfhjk escreveu:

[...]

Hi ppl,

I'm a systems administrator and developer to.
I'm available!
--
   :)   cumprimentos

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Ubuntu Algorithms Team

Robin Gloster

Hi,

This could be interesting for those who want to learn more about algorithms:
http://www.algo-class.org/

It is taught by a Stanford professor and will start this month

Robin Gloster

Am 14.02.2012 10:40, schrieb José Luís Faria:
> Em 10-02-2012 22:21, bdfhjk escreveu:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I?m going to create Ubuntu Algorithms Team, which will be responsible for:
>>
>> * Helping developers in the implementation of the latest and hard to understand algorithms
>> * Detection of ?bottlenecks? at boot time and during run time of Ubuntu and coming up with ways to improve their
>> * Informing the community about the latest scientific works and ideas, where they can be of use in Ubuntu, as well as some advices on the practical use of existing algorithms.
>>
>> This would be done through:
>> * Establishment of the Launchpad page, where developers will be able to submit their problems and situations that most slow down the program using the launchpad bug system. UAT members will seek a solution, or state that at the present state of science, solution does not exist.
>> * Issuing a monthly review of the major scientific achievements that may be related to Ubuntu
>> * Internal training programmers in the field of algorithms and data structures (useful especially for beginners)
>>

>> Please write your comments.
>> This team will be useful to you?
>> Do you need training in algorithms?
>> Will I find other people who also are interested in algorithms and will want to join with me to help community as member of the Ubuntu Algorithms Team?
>>
>> Marek Bardo?ski
>>

> Hi ppl,
>
> I'm a systems administrator and developer to.
> I'm available!
> --
> :) cumprimentos
> ----------------------
> José Luís Faria
> Network Engineer/System Admin
> Departamento de Informática
> Universidade do Minho
> Braga, Portugal

Re: Ubuntu Algorithms Team

Bhavani Shankar R
On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 3:51 AM, bdfhjk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I’m going to create Ubuntu Algorithms Team, which will be responsible for:
>
> * Helping developers in the implementation of the latest and hard to
> understand algorithms
> * Detection of ‘bottlenecks’ at boot time and during run time of Ubuntu and
> coming up with ways to improve their
> * Informing the community about the latest scientific works and ideas, where
> they can be of use in Ubuntu, as well as some advices on the practical use
> of existing algorithms.
>
> This would be done through:
> * Establishment of the Launchpad page, where developers will be able to
> submit their problems and situations that most slow down the program using
> the launchpad bug system. UAT members will seek a solution, or state that at
> the present state of science, solution does not exist.
> * Issuing a monthly review of the major scientific achievements that may be
> related to Ubuntu
> * Internal training programmers in the field of algorithms and data
> structures (useful especially for beginners)

Hi Marek,

I would be really interested to get the insights of various algorithms
which would help me gain more knowledge as m a electrical engineer and
sysadmin by profession.

Bhavani Shankar
Ubuntu Developer       |  www.ubuntu.com
https://launchpad.net/~bhavi

Re: Ubuntu Algorithms Team

Bruno Girin-2
On 10/02/12 22:21, bdfhjk wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I’m going to create Ubuntu Algorithms Team, which will be responsible for:
>
> * Helping developers in the implementation of the latest and hard to
> understand algorithms
> * Detection of ‘bottlenecks’ at boot time and during run time of
> Ubuntu and coming up with ways to improve their
> * Informing the community about the latest scientific works and ideas,
> where they can be of use in Ubuntu, as well as some advices on the
> practical use of existing algorithms.
>
> This would be done through:
> * Establishment of the Launchpad page, where developers will be able
> to submit their problems and situations that most slow down the
> program using the launchpad bug system. UAT members will seek a
> solution, or state that at the present state of science, solution does
> not exist.
> * Issuing a monthly review of the major scientific achievements that
> may be related to Ubuntu
> * Internal training programmers in the field of algorithms and data
> structures (useful especially for beginners)
>

> Please write your comments.
> This team will be useful to you?
> Do you need training in algorithms?
> Will I find other people who also are interested in algorithms and
> will want to join with me to help community as member of the Ubuntu
> Algorithms Team?

Hi Marek,

That's a great idea! In addition to the hard to implement algorithms, it
may also be beneficial to include basic algorithms: for example, who
knows how to implement a fast sort or a hashing algorithm? You can find
them all over the place but few people really know how they work.
Another aspect that is important is algorithm complexity and growth rate
(is it O(n), O(log n), etc?) which is a good way to explain why a
particular algorithm is better than another one.

What outputs do you want to produce from the team? Launchpad pages would
be great and what would be even better would be example implementations
in python (or any other language). Ideally, this could then enable
interested developers to start their own projects and implement those
algorithms as shared libraries that everybody can benefit from (or
contribute to any such projects for algorithms for which there are
existing implementations).

Cheers,

Bruno

Re: Ubuntu Algorithms Team

bdfhjk
Thanks for all e-mails. I glad, that many people are interested in project.

I set up a launchpad team named Ubuntu Algorithms Team[1] and have started a new project Ubuntu Algorithms Headquarter[2].

Everyone is invited to join team and work with us to improve algorithm's side of Ubuntu.

For all developers - If you have now or in the future any algorithmic problem or question, related with Ubuntu / open source development, please let us know about them, filing bug report in our headquarter [2] and describing your problem. For the algorithmic questions not related to developing, please use the answers system.

If a program / function is slow, or consuming too much memory and you have no idea how to speed up - we will try to help. If you read an interesting algorithm that can be used in Ubuntu - please write us about it.

Regards,
Marek Bardoński

PS. Thanks Robin for informations about algo-class, it is very interesting.

[1]https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-algorithms
[2]https://launchpad.net/algorithms-headquarter

Re: Ubuntu Algorithms Team

bdfhjk

2012/2/18 Bruno Girin <[hidden email]>
On 10/02/12 22:21, bdfhjk wrote:

[...]

Yes, that are two very good ideas.

I don't know about similar 'algorithmic' library, which contain hard/easy algorithms, existing now somewhere. If someone know about it, please write to me. Independently, in my mind is a open source library with well described and with clean code, designed for beginners programmers to look at it and use the code by 'copy-paste-modify' method. Both ways are interesting.

About second idea, we may organize a classes for all programmers and say about basics algorithms, especially their use in real work.

Thanks,
Marek Bardoński