Ubuntu Desktop Guide in 17.10

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Ubuntu Desktop Guide in 17.10

Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Dear translators,

New packages
------------
Up to 17.04 the Ubuntu Desktop Guide resided in one single package:
ubuntu-docs (the ubuntu-help translation domain). Due to the transition
to the GNOME desktop, the Ubuntu Desktop Guide will from now on be made
up of these three packages:

gnome-user-docs
gnome-getting-started-docs
ubuntu-docs

gnome-user-docs and gnome-getting-started-docs contain the documentation
for the vanilla GNOME desktop, and translation of those packages happens
upstream:

https://l10n.gnome.org/module/gnome-user-docs/

https://l10n.gnome.org/module/gnome-getting-started-docs/

General info about translating in GNOME:

https://wiki.gnome.org/TranslationProject

ubuntu-docs (the ubuntu-help translation domain) will contain only a few
pages, some of which replaces certain gnome-user-docs pages, and some
additional pages besides that.

You may want to follow this link to get an idea of what it will look like:

https://help.ubuntu.com/dev/ubuntu-help/


Status of ubuntu-docs
---------------------
I'm sorry to say that, even if it's doc string freeze[1] today, we are
not yet done with ubuntu-docs for this cycle. We'll need another few
days to get it ready. I'll get back to you as soon as it's ready for
translation.

OTOH, you will be able to work with translations of ubuntu-docs till
October 10 (instead of the official deadline October 5).


Please let me know if you have any questions about this information.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationStringFreeze

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj

--
ubuntu-translators mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-translators
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ubuntu Desktop Guide in 17.10

Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Hi again,

On 2017-09-21 23:16, Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
> Status of ubuntu-docs
> ---------------------
> I'm sorry to say that, even if it's doc string freeze[1] today, we
> are not yet done with ubuntu-docs for this cycle. We'll need another
> few days to get it ready. I'll get back to you as soon as it's ready
> for translation.

Now the ubuntu-docs package (the ubuntu-help translation domain) is done
and ready to be translated. Sorry again for the delay.

Important note:
===============
Since the desktop guide for 17.10 is substantially made up of pages from
GNOME Help, only languages which have been translated in the
gnome-user-docs package will be taken into account for ubuntu-docs. You
find those languages here:

https://l10n.gnome.org/module/gnome-user-docs/#gnome-3-26

In other words: If you don't find your language in that list,
translating ubuntu-docs into your language isn't very urgent.

This means that for some languages, which were well covered in e.g. the
16.04 ubuntu-docs, no translations will be made available in the 17.10
desktop guide. Some of those languages are:

English (United Kingdom)
Malay
Ukrainian
Bosnian
Turkish
Occitan (post 1500)

The way to fix that (I'm talking 18.04 now) is to start translating
gnome-user-docs upstream.

For those of you, whose languages have been translated in
gnome-user-docs, the 17.10 deadline for ubuntu-docs is October 10.


I think that's it. Please don't hesitate to ask for clarifications.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj

--
ubuntu-translators mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-translators
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ubuntu Desktop Guide in 17.10

Hannie Dumoleyn
Hi Gunnar,
Thanks for the info. I am currently working on the Dutch translation
upstream. Translating documentation is time consuming, because the
messages are much longer than those in the GUI.
Hannie
Gnome Dutch Translators

Op 26-09-17 om 05:20 schreef Gunnar Hjalmarsson:

> Hi again,
>
> On 2017-09-21 23:16, Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
>> Status of ubuntu-docs
>> ---------------------
>> I'm sorry to say that, even if it's doc string freeze[1] today, we
>> are not yet done with ubuntu-docs for this cycle. We'll need another
>> few days to get it ready. I'll get back to you as soon as it's ready
>> for translation.
>
> Now the ubuntu-docs package (the ubuntu-help translation domain) is
> done and ready to be translated. Sorry again for the delay.
>
> Important note:
> ===============
> Since the desktop guide for 17.10 is substantially made up of pages
> from GNOME Help, only languages which have been translated in the
> gnome-user-docs package will be taken into account for ubuntu-docs.
> You find those languages here:
>
> https://l10n.gnome.org/module/gnome-user-docs/#gnome-3-26
>
> In other words: If you don't find your language in that list,
> translating ubuntu-docs into your language isn't very urgent.
>
> This means that for some languages, which were well covered in e.g.
> the 16.04 ubuntu-docs, no translations will be made available in the
> 17.10 desktop guide. Some of those languages are:
>
> English (United Kingdom)
> Malay
> Ukrainian
> Bosnian
> Turkish
> Occitan (post 1500)
>
> The way to fix that (I'm talking 18.04 now) is to start translating
> gnome-user-docs upstream.
>
> For those of you, whose languages have been translated in
> gnome-user-docs, the 17.10 deadline for ubuntu-docs is October 10.
>
>
> I think that's it. Please don't hesitate to ask for clarifications.
>


--
ubuntu-translators mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-translators
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ubuntu Desktop Guide in 17.10

Andika Triwidada
In reply to this post by Gunnar Hjalmarsson
On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 10:20 AM, Gunnar Hjalmarsson
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> On 2017-09-21 23:16, Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
>>
>> Status of ubuntu-docs
>> ---------------------
>> I'm sorry to say that, even if it's doc string freeze[1] today, we
>> are not yet done with ubuntu-docs for this cycle. We'll need another
>> few days to get it ready. I'll get back to you as soon as it's ready
>> for translation.
>
>
> Now the ubuntu-docs package (the ubuntu-help translation domain) is done and
> ready to be translated. Sorry again for the delay.
>
> Important note:
> ===============
> Since the desktop guide for 17.10 is substantially made up of pages from
> GNOME Help, only languages which have been translated in the gnome-user-docs
> package will be taken into account for ubuntu-docs. You find those languages
> here:
>
> https://l10n.gnome.org/module/gnome-user-docs/#gnome-3-26
>
> In other words: If you don't find your language in that list, translating
> ubuntu-docs into your language isn't very urgent.
>
> This means that for some languages, which were well covered in e.g. the
> 16.04 ubuntu-docs, no translations will be made available in the 17.10
> desktop guide. Some of those languages are:
>
> English (United Kingdom)
> Malay
> Ukrainian
> Bosnian
> Turkish
> Occitan (post 1500)
>
> The way to fix that (I'm talking 18.04 now) is to start translating
> gnome-user-docs upstream.
>
> For those of you, whose languages have been translated in gnome-user-docs,
> the 17.10 deadline for ubuntu-docs is October 10.
>
>
> I think that's it. Please don't hesitate to ask for clarifications.
>
>
> --
> Gunnar Hjalmarsson
> https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj
>
> --
> ubuntu-translators mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-translators

Hi Gunnar,

How often is translation PO files from launchpad is updated into
lp:ubuntu-docs repo?
I just tried to translate several Indonesian strings, but unable to
see those new ones
in my updated repo clone.

Regards,

Andika Triwidada.

--
ubuntu-translators mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-translators
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ubuntu Desktop Guide in 17.10

Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Hi Andika,

On 2017-10-02 12:32, Andika Triwidada wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 10:20 AM, Gunnar Hjalmarsson
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Now the ubuntu-docs package (the ubuntu-help translation domain) is
>> done and ready to be translated. Sorry again for the delay.
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> For those of you, whose languages have been translated in
>> gnome-user-docs, the 17.10 deadline for ubuntu-docs is October 10.
>
> Hi Gunnar,
>
> How often is translation PO files from launchpad is updated into
> lp:ubuntu-docs repo?
> I just tried to translate several Indonesian strings, but unable to
> see those new ones in my updated repo clone.

We usually do that manually when needed, so the plan is to update the
branch with the translations next time before the final package upload
after October 10.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj

--
ubuntu-translators mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-translators