Ubuntu In The News

john levin-2
OReilly's Linux Dev Centre has published a long (4 pages) article on
installing and configuring Ubuntu on a Dell Inspiron

http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2005/11/17/ubuntu_laptop.html?CMP=OTC-0O724Z062301

Coffe snob warning: the author puts milk in his expresso. Ugh.

John

Re: Ubuntu In The News

Chris Woods-3
john levin wrote:

> Coffe snob warning: the author puts milk in his expresso. Ugh.
Another coffee snob warning: It's spelled "espresso" ;)

--
 Chris Woods           AIM gnarrlybob
 [hidden email]    ICQ 21740987

Re: Ubuntu In The News

Matthew East
On Fri, 2005-11-18 at 07:11 -0500, Chris Woods wrote:
> john levin wrote:
> >
> > Coffe snob warning: the author puts milk in his expresso. Ugh.
> Another coffee snob warning: It's spelled "espresso" ;)

hehe. Also, as a third snob warning, putting milk in espresso is
perfectly acceptable. :)

Nice article tho

Matt
gnupg pub 1024D/0E6B06FF

Re: Ubuntu In The News

Daniel Robitaille
> > Coffe snob warning: the author puts milk in his expresso. Ugh.
> Another coffee snob warning: It's spelled "espresso" ;)

another warning, this time from a non-coffee drinking person:  both
spelling seems acceptable:
    http://www.answers.com/expresso&r=67

--
Daniel Robitaille

Re: Ubuntu In The News

dave-46
> another warning, this time from a non-coffee drinking person:  both
> spelling seems acceptable:
>     http://www.answers.com/expresso&r=67

Ugggh, I don't think so. I'd always thought of 'expresso' as an american bastardization of 'espresso'.

The American Heritage® Book of English Usage.
A Practical and Authoritative Guide to Contemporary English.  1996.

7. Pronunciation Challenges: Confusions and Controversy

§ 79. espresso / expresso

    The Italian word is espresso, pronounced (-sprs´) or (-sprs´) in English. It is short for caffè espresso, or "coffee that has been pressed out." Expresso, pronounced (k-sprs´), first occurred no doubt through erroneous association with the word express. But now expresso is also common, even in edited prose.

Re: Ubuntu In The News

Derek Broughton-2
dave wrote:

>> another warning, this time from a non-coffee drinking person: both
>> spelling seems acceptable:
>> http://www.answers.com/expresso&r=67
>
> Ugggh, I don't think so. I'd always thought of 'expresso' as an american
> bastardization of 'espresso'.
>
> The American Heritage(r) Book of English Usage.
>> A Practical and Authoritative Guide to Contemporary English. 1996.
>>
>> 7. Pronunciation Challenges: Confusions and Controversy
>>
>> ? 79. espresso / expresso
>>
>> The Italian word is espresso, pronounced (-sprs?) or (-sprs?) in English.
>> It is short for caff? espresso, or "coffee that has been pressed out."
>> Expresso, pronounced (k-sprs?), first occurred no doubt through erroneous
>> association with the word express. But now expresso is also common, even
>> in edited prose.

OED says simply: Expresso: noun, var of Espresso

If it's good enough for the OED, no matter how jarring it sounds, it's good
enough for me :-)
--
derek

Re: Ubuntu In The News

John-68
john levin wrote:

> Coffe snob warning: the author puts milk in his expresso. Ugh.

espresso.

So do lots of people - cappuccino, latte, flat white are all made from
espresso.

John

Re: Ubuntu In The News

john levin-2
John wrote:

> john levin wrote:
>
>> Coffe snob warning: the author puts milk in his expresso. Ugh.
>

> espresso.
>
> So do lots of people - cappuccino, latte, flat white are all made from
> espresso.

Bah. I've been exposed as a coffee-snob wannabe.

John

Re: Ubuntu In The News

John-68
john levin wrote:

> Bah. I've been exposed as a coffee-snob wannabe.
>

> John

Chin up:-)

http://www.arikiart.com/coffee/espresso-expresso/how-to-make-espresso-coffee.htm

Re: Ubuntu In The News

Scott James Remnant-2
On Sun, 2005-11-20 at 17:23 +0800, John wrote:

> john levin wrote:
>
> > Coffe snob warning: the author puts milk in his expresso. Ugh.
>
> espresso.
>
> So do lots of people - cappuccino, latte, flat white are all made from
> espresso.

For those non-Australians, it's worth pointing out that a flat white is
basically a latte but without the commitment.

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant

Re: Ubuntu In The News

Rebel Lion-2
On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 19:35, Scott James Remnant wrote:

> On Sun, 2005-11-20 at 17:23 +0800, John wrote:
> > john levin wrote:
> > > Coffe snob warning: the author puts milk in his expresso. Ugh.
> >
> > espresso.
> >
> > So do lots of people - cappuccino, latte, flat white are all made from
> > espresso.
>
> For those non-Australians, it's worth pointing out that a flat white is
> basically a latte but without the commitment.
>
> Scott

 Or a coffee without the pretension.

--
Don't become so open-minded that your brains fall out.
~~~~~~DakaR   Linux user #215413