Ubuntu Installation Guide (18.04) contribution

Ubuntu Installation Guide (18.04) contribution

Frank Heimes
Hello - please has someone an idea on how I can contribute to the "Ubuntu
Installation guide(s)"?
https://help.ubuntu.com/16.04/installation-guide/

I especially want to contribute to the "s390x (IBM System z)" version of
the Installation Guide.
[Well, even the name is nowadays wrong and should be changed to "s390x (IBM
Z and LinuxONE)"]

I found that link to the DocTeam with all it's information:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam
but looks like the focus there is mainly Desktop, Server Guide and Ubuntu
Manuals - am I wrong?

I know howto contribute to the Server Guide, but it looks the it's
different for the Installation Guide.

There are btw. lot's of things I would like to change - I copied and
modified the 16.04 version already and put it temporarily into this wiki:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/S390X/InstallationGuide
But for 18.04 I would love to have all needed modifications and addons in
the official guide ...

Any idea is appreciated, thx

Frank

Re: Ubuntu Installation Guide (18.04) contribution

Frank Heimes
In between I found in the existing Installation Guide at the end:
https://help.ubuntu.com/16.04/installation-guide/s390x/apes02.html
"If you have problems or suggestions regarding this document, please mail
them to <[hidden email]>."
But I assume that cannot be the right way to sent everything out to the
[hidden email] list ?!

But I also found the "installation-guide" project in Launchpad:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/installation-guide
which seems to be more promising.

Even if I think that larger changes would require lot's of tickets/bugs,
which would cause much effort for the project owners / maintainers...

Frank Heimes | Tech. Lead Ubuntu Server on Z | Canonical Ltd.
mail: [hidden email]
irc: jfh
www.canonical.com | www.ubuntu.com | ubuntu-on-big-iron.blogspot.com
<http://ubuntu-on-big-iron.blogspot.com/?view=sidebar>

On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 6:56 PM, Frank Heimes <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello - please has someone an idea on how I can contribute to the "Ubuntu
> Installation guide(s)"?
> https://help.ubuntu.com/16.04/installation-guide/
>
> I especially want to contribute to the "s390x (IBM System z)" version of
> the Installation Guide.
> [Well, even the name is nowadays wrong and should be changed to "s390x
> (IBM Z and LinuxONE)"]
>
> I found that link to the DocTeam with all it's information:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam
> but looks like the focus there is mainly Desktop, Server Guide and Ubuntu
> Manuals - am I wrong?
>
> I know howto contribute to the Server Guide, but it looks the it's
> different for the Installation Guide.
>
> There are btw. lot's of things I would like to change - I copied and
> modified the 16.04 version already and put it temporarily into this wiki:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/S390X/InstallationGuide
> But for 18.04 I would love to have all needed modifications and addons in
> the official guide ...
>
> Any idea is appreciated, thx
>
> Frank

Re: Ubuntu Installation Guide (18.04) contribution

Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Hi Frank!

On 2018-04-16 18:56, Frank Heimes wrote:

> Hello - please has someone an idea on how I can contribute to the
> "Ubuntu Installation guide(s)"?
> https://help.ubuntu.com/16.04/installation-guide/
>
> I especially want to contribute to the "s390x (IBM System z)" version
> of the Installation Guide.
> [Well, even the name is nowadays wrong and should be changed to
> "s390x (IBM Z and LinuxONE)"]
>
> I found that link to the DocTeam with all it's information:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam
> but looks like the focus there is mainly Desktop, Server Guide and
> Ubuntu Manuals - am I wrong?

Not at all; that in-depth installation guide is maintained by Debian,
with some tiny Ubuntu modifications. Doug Smythies has helped with
building and publishing the HTML version which you linked to above.
Doug, please correct me if I'm awfully wrong.

So I'd guess that you'd better get in touch with some Debian people.
This is the package:

https://packages.debian.org/source/sid/installation-guide

and it mentions Debian Install System Team. On the Ubuntu/LP side I'd
guess that Colin Watson can point you in the right direction.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj

Re: Ubuntu Installation Guide (18.04) contribution

Frank Heimes
Hi Gunnar,
yeah that seems to close the loop - I saw/found Colin Watson mentioned at
the 'installation-guide' LP project, too.
Doug Smythies seems to be involved in that project as well.

We'll see there how a non-Debian maintainer (like me) can contribute ...

tha, Frank

Frank Heimes | Tech. Lead Ubuntu Server on Z | Canonical Ltd.
mail: [hidden email]
irc: jfh
www.canonical.com | www.ubuntu.com | ubuntu-on-big-iron.blogspot.com
<http://ubuntu-on-big-iron.blogspot.com/?view=sidebar>

On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 7:33 PM, Gunnar Hjalmarsson <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Frank!
>
> On 2018-04-16 18:56, Frank Heimes wrote:
>
>> Hello - please has someone an idea on how I can contribute to the
>> "Ubuntu Installation guide(s)"?
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/16.04/installation-guide/
>>
>> I especially want to contribute to the "s390x (IBM System z)" version
>> of the Installation Guide.
>> [Well, even the name is nowadays wrong and should be changed to
>> "s390x (IBM Z and LinuxONE)"]
>>
>> I found that link to the DocTeam with all it's information:
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam
>> but looks like the focus there is mainly Desktop, Server Guide and
>> Ubuntu Manuals - am I wrong?
>>

> Not at all; that in-depth installation guide is maintained by Debian, with
> some tiny Ubuntu modifications. Doug Smythies has helped with building and
> publishing the HTML version which you linked to above. Doug, please correct
> me if I'm awfully wrong.
>
> So I'd guess that you'd better get in touch with some Debian people. This
> is the package:
>
> https://packages.debian.org/source/sid/installation-guide
>
> and it mentions Debian Install System Team. On the Ubuntu/LP side I'd
> guess that Colin Watson can point you in the right direction.
>
> --
> Gunnar Hjalmarsson
> https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj

RE: Ubuntu Installation Guide (18.04) contribution

Doug Smythies
On 2018.04.16 10:54 Frank Heimes wrote:

> yeah that seems to close the loop - I saw/found Colin Watson mentioned at
> the 'installation-guide' LP project, too.
> Doug Smythies seems to be involved in that project as well.
>
> We'll see there how a non-Debian maintainer (like me) can contribute ...

Hi All,

I forgot to check my doc team e-mail folder for a couple of days.

I forget how it goes with the installation guide, and even how to build it.
I usually submit an MP for the per LTS edits, and sometimes
it gets ignored and sometimes accepted. It is linked to from within
the serverguide, so we would prefer to keep publishing it on a per
LTS basis.

... Doug

On 2018.04.24 23:52 Doug Smythies wrote:

> On 2018.04.16 10:54 Frank Heimes wrote:
>>
>> yeah that seems to close the loop - I saw/found Colin Watson mentioned at
>> the 'installation-guide' LP project, too.
>> Doug Smythies seems to be involved in that project as well.
>>
>> We'll see there how a non-Debian maintainer (like me) can contribute ...
>
> Hi All,
>
> I forgot to check my doc team e-mail folder for a couple of days.
>
> I forget how it goes with the installation guide, and even how to build it.
> I usually submit an MP for the per LTS edits, and sometimes
> it gets ignored and sometimes accepted. It is linked to from within
> the serverguide, so we would prefer to keep publishing it on a per
> LTS basis.

It took me forever to figure out (remember) how to build the installation
guide and even where the branch was.

It doesn't seem to have been maintained or updated from the Debian master
anymore. My MP from two years ago was the most recent. Well, I bumped
the versions, submitted an MP and am publishing that.

https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-core-dev/installation-guide/ubuntu
https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-core-doc/help.ubuntu.com/help.ubuntu.com

... Doug

Re: Ubuntu Installation Guide (18.04) contribution

Frank Heimes
Well, I also have two merge proposals open:
https://code.launchpad.net/~frank-heimes/installation-guide/

Any idea whom to contact to get these reviewed and for sure ideally also
accepted?

If things have settled down a bit after 18.04 GA I want to spent even more
time and effort on it ...

(I also wrote down some steps on howto work with on the inst guide for
myself - we may think about posting that to a wiki page - like there is one
for the server guide ?! Just an idea ...)

Bye, Frank

On 2018-04-25 11:07, Frank Heimes wrote:
> Well, I also have two merge proposals open:
> https://code.launchpad.net/~frank-heimes/installation-guide/
>
> Any idea whom to contact to get these reviewed and for sure ideally
> also accepted?

Some core developer. Maybe Dann Frazier judging by the revision history.
Nobody in the ~ubuntu-core-doc team has commit right to that branch or
right to upload the package.

> (I also wrote down some steps on howto work with on the inst guide
> for myself - we may think about posting that to a wiki page - like
> there is one for the server guide ?! Just an idea ...)

+1

On 2018.04.25 04:22 Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:

> On 2018-04-25 11:07, Frank Heimes wrote:
>> Well, I also have two merge proposals open:
>> https://code.launchpad.net/~frank-heimes/installation-guide/
>>
>> Any idea whom to contact to get these reviewed and for sure ideally
>> also accepted?
>
> Some core developer. Maybe Dann Frazier judging by the revision history.
> Nobody in the ~ubuntu-core-doc team has commit right to that branch or
> right to upload the package.

I see your MP have been approved, as has mine. However, I do not know how
long it will be until they are actually merged.

The package and what we publish on help.ubuntu.com are supposed to
keep in sync, but I usually go ahead anyway for the version bump stuff
that I do.
The question is: Should I just go ahead and pull in Franks MPs and publish
that?

>> (I also wrote down some steps on howto work with on the inst guide
>> for myself - we may think about posting that to a wiki page - like
>> there is one for the server guide ?! Just an idea ...)
>
> +1

Well, it appears I completely forget how to deal with the installation
guide every two years, so yes.

... Doug

Re: Ubuntu Installation Guide (18.04) contribution

Frank Heimes
Okay - I created a first version of an Ubuntu Wiki page about the
Installation Guide:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/SystemDocumentation/UbuntuInstallationGuide

(I aligned this as much as possible to the server guide)

Feel free to adjust, expand or correct

Bye, Frank

On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 4:47 PM, Doug Smythies <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2018.04.25 04:22 Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
> > On 2018-04-25 11:07, Frank Heimes wrote:
> >> Well, I also have two merge proposals open:
> >> https://code.launchpad.net/~frank-heimes/installation-guide/
> >>
> >> Any idea whom to contact to get these reviewed and for sure ideally
> >> also accepted?
> >
> > Some core developer. Maybe Dann Frazier judging by the revision history.
> > Nobody in the ~ubuntu-core-doc team has commit right to that branch or
> > right to upload the package.
> >

> I see your MP have been approved, as has mine. However, I do not know how
> long it will be until they are actually merged.
>
> The package and what we publish on help.ubuntu.com are supposed to
> keep in sync, but I usually go ahead anyway for the version bump stuff
> that I do.
> The question is: Should I just go ahead and pull in Franks MPs and publish
> that?
>
> >> (I also wrote down some steps on howto work with on the inst guide
> >> for myself - we may think about posting that to a wiki page - like
> >> there is one for the server guide ?! Just an idea ...)
> >
> > +1
>
> Well, it appears I completely forget how to deal with the installation
> guide every two years, so yes.
>
> ... Doug

Re: Ubuntu Installation Guide (18.04) contribution

Peter Matulis-5
Thank you Frank.
pmatulis

On 2018.05.03 12:01 Frank Heimes wrote:

> Okay - I created a first version of an Ubuntu Wiki page about the Installation Guide:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/SystemDocumentation/UbuntuInstallationGuide
>
> (I aligned this as much as possible to the server guide)
>
> Feel free to adjust, expand or correct

O.K. Thanks.
I'll add a section about how to compile for and update help.ubuntu.com

I do not know if it makes sense to bring up errors or whatever on this
e-mail list, because, and as far as I know, nobody here has ever had
anything to do with the installation guide. I only bump some version numbers
and publish it, nothing else.

Eventually, we will link to your new page from:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/SystemDocumentation

... Doug

Re: Ubuntu Installation Guide (18.04) contribution

Frank Heimes
Yeah - some words on compile and update would be good to have.

Btw. I thought about linking the other way around; too.
Means from
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/SystemDocumentation/UbuntuInstallationGuide
in section "Getting Help" to
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/SystemDocumentation
But I was unsure, since the DocTeam is (untortunately) not the official
head for the inst guide ...

Bye, Frank

On Fri, May 4, 2018 at 4:15 PM, Doug Smythies <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2018.05.03 12:01 Frank Heimes wrote:
>
> > Okay - I created a first version of an Ubuntu Wiki page about the
> Installation Guide:
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/SystemDocumentation/
> UbuntuInstallationGuide
> >
> > (I aligned this as much as possible to the server guide)
> >
> > Feel free to adjust, expand or correct
>
> O.K. Thanks.
> I'll add a section about how to compile for and update help.ubuntu.com
>
> I do not know if it makes sense to bring up errors or whatever on this
> e-mail list, because, and as far as I know, nobody here has ever had
> anything to do with the installation guide. I only bump some version
> numbers
> and publish it, nothing else.
>
> Eventually, we will link to your new page from:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/SystemDocumentation
>
> ... Doug

RE: Ubuntu Installation Guide (18.04) contribution

Doug Smythies
O.K.:

I added a section, "How to update help.ubuntu.com".

By the way, The installation guide compiles with some random
numbers used for links. This both balloons the size of any update,
and makes checking the difference file (bzr diff) almost
impossible. Does anyone know how to get rid of these random numbers?

Example (source code unchanged):

doug@s15:~/ubuntu-help/18.04/installation-guide$ diff -r ./ /tmp/manual

... deleted about 5250 lines ...
286c286
---

... Doug

Means from https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/SystemDocumentation/UbuntuInstallationGuide
in section "Getting Help" to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/SystemDocumentation

On 2018.05.05 09:13 Doug Smythies wrote:

> By the way, The installation guide compiles with some random
> numbers used for links. This both balloons the size of any update,
> and makes checking the difference file (bzr diff) almost
> impossible. Does anyone know how to get rid of these random numbers?
>
> Example (source code unchanged):
>
> doug@s15:~/ubuntu-help/18.04/installation-guide$ diff -r ./ /tmp/manual
>
> ... deleted about 5250 lines ...
. 286c286
> ---

I finally remembered: The trick is to look specifically at the differences between
the text file versions.

I made a note on the wiki page.

Reference:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/SystemDocumentation/UbuntuInstallationGuide

Re: Ubuntu Installation Guide (18.04) contribution

Frank Heimes
Hi Doug,
thx for your valuable hints and add-ons!

Btw. what is the best way to get merge-proposals reviewed (and ideally
accepted), like this pending one:
https://code.launchpad.net/~frank-heimes/installation-guide/ubuntu-18.04-changed-supported-hw

Is there someone I can  poke or ideally a person/role that I can add as
'proposed reviewer'? Or do I just have to be more patient ...?

Cheers, Frank

On 2018.05.06 13:14 Frank Heimes wrote:

> Btw. what is the best way to get merge-proposals reviewed
> (and ideally accepted), like this pending one:
> https://code.launchpad.net/~frank-heimes/installation-guide/ubuntu-18.04-changed-supported-hw
>
> Is there someone I can  poke or ideally a person/role that I can
> add as 'proposed reviewer'? Or do I just have to be more patient ...?

Beats me. The installation guide has always been some ignored thing.
This year, I was late with the version bumps (because I do not
consider it my job in the first place), adding to potential delays now.

... Doug

On 2018.05.09 15:15 Doug Smythies wrote:

> On 2018.05.06 13:14 Frank Heimes wrote:
>
>> Btw. what is the best way to get merge-proposals reviewed
>> (and ideally accepted), like this pending one:
>> https://code.launchpad.net/~frank-heimes/installation-guide/ubuntu-18.04-changed-supported-hw
>>
>> Is there someone I can  poke or ideally a person/role that I can
>> add as 'proposed reviewer'? Or do I just have to be more patient ...?
>
> Beats me. The installation guide has always been some ignored thing.
> This year, I was late with the version bumps (because I do not
> consider it my job in the first place), adding to potential delays now.

Frank:

I see that a few merge proposals for the installation guide have been
accepted and merged, but that you also still have one MP outstanding.

Once your outstanding MP is merged, we'll re-publish on help.ubuntu.com.
(If I forget and/or don't notice, just let us know to go ahead and re-publish.)

https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-core-dev/installation-guide/ubuntu
https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/installation-guide/index.html

... Doug

Re: Ubuntu Installation Guide (18.04) contribution

Frank Heimes
Hi Doug,
I had a chat with Mathieu yesterday and need to redo my last MP, due to
some changes that happened in between.

So I need to redo that - as well as some more pretty significant
changes/addons to preseed (also LP bug related) - so I hope we can wait for
some more time and some more MPs before we re-publish?
(Can only work on the inst. guide in between and as time allows ...)

Thx, Frank

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 12:15 AM, Doug Smythies <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2018.05.09 15:15 Doug Smythies wrote:
> > On 2018.05.06 13:14 Frank Heimes wrote:
> >
> >> Btw. what is the best way to get merge-proposals reviewed
> >> (and ideally accepted), like this pending one:
> >> https://code.launchpad.net/~frank-heimes/installation-
> guide/ubuntu-18.04-changed-supported-hw
> >>
> >> Is there someone I can  poke or ideally a person/role that I can
> >> add as 'proposed reviewer'? Or do I just have to be more patient ...?
> >
> > Beats me. The installation guide has always been some ignored thing.
> > This year, I was late with the version bumps (because I do not
> > consider it my job in the first place), adding to potential delays now.
>
> Frank:
>
> I see that a few merge proposals for the installation guide have been
> accepted and merged, but that you also still have one MP outstanding.
>
> Once your outstanding MP is merged, we'll re-publish on help.ubuntu.com.
> (If I forget and/or don't notice, just let us know to go ahead and
> re-publish.)

> https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-core-dev/installation-guide/ubuntu
> https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/installation-guide/index.html
>
> ... Doug

Re: Ubuntu Installation Guide (18.04) contribution

Frank Heimes
Hi Christophe,
while not being part of the ubuntu doc team I still may be able to get you
kicked-off.

So this wiki page provides instructions on how to participate and
contribute in general:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/SystemDocumentation/UbuntuInstallationGuide

And instead of building and working on the English version (examples):

./build/buildone.sh amd64 en "html pdf"

ls -la ./en

gedit ./en/hardware/supported/s390.xml

You may just work on the language version you want to focus on, like de,
it, pt_BR, etc.

Right now I don't see *fr* (according to your name and mail address I think
you might be interested in France), hence the French translation need to be
started from scratch ...
Probably best to copy the 'en' version, translate the content (keep the
file names in English) and add these files to bzr. Compare what you are
doing to the other languages that exist.
I assume that at some point in time minor adjustments in the build scripts
are needed to get a French version build, but that shouldn't be a big deal

Hope that helps as a starter ... Frank