Ubuntu Mate panel

Richard Kimber
I have a small question about Mate panel. On my panel there is an
inactive area where neither left nor right mouse clicking does
anything.  The area is not blank, however, and contains the characters
↕,9,A each in a circle, thus:-

http://www.nonplacet.co.uk/NON/19a.png

Can anyone tell me what the significance of these characters is? On
one occasion the 'A' and its circle turned red briefly. Presumably they
are indicators of something or other.  I can't seem to delete them, so I
may as well find out what they mean :)

I'm using Ubuntu Mate 16.04.3 LTS
--
Richard Kimber

Re: Ubuntu Mate panel

Teresa e Junior
Em 28/12/2017 11:28, Richard Kimber escreveu:

> I have a small question about Mate panel. On my panel there is an
> inactive area where neither left nor right mouse clicking does
> anything.  The area is not blank, however, and contains the characters
> ↕,9,A each in a circle, thus:-
>
> http://www.nonplacet.co.uk/NON/19a.png
>
> Can anyone tell me what the significance of these characters is? On
> one occasion the 'A' and its circle turned red briefly. Presumably they
> are indicators of something or other.  I can't seem to delete them, so I
> may as well find out what they mean :)
>
> I'm using Ubuntu Mate 16.04.3 LTS

This is a Caps Lock/Num Lock/Scroll Lock indicator or plugin. I can't
tell you how to get rid of it, though, since I don't use MATE.

Re: Ubuntu Mate panel

Richard Kimber
On Thu, 28 Dec 2017 14:28:29 -0200
Teresa e Junior <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is a Caps Lock/Num Lock/Scroll Lock indicator or plugin. I can't
> tell you how to get rid of it, though, since I don't use MATE.

OK thanks. That helps.

--
Richard Kimber

Re: Ubuntu Mate panel

On 28 December 2017 at 14:28, Richard Kimber
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Presumably they
> are indicators of something or other.

That's answered now.

>  I can't seem to delete them, so I
> may as well find out what they mean :)

What have you tried?

Here's an official route:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/799437/lock-keys-panel-indicator-for-mate-desktop

Email: [hidden email] • Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven • Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 • ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

Re: Ubuntu Mate panel

Richard Kimber
On Fri, 29 Dec 2017 14:46:49 +0100
Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Here's an official route:
>
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/799437/lock-keys-panel-indicator-for-mate-desktop

OK. Thanks. It wasn't obvious to me that the entry in Mate Tweak
'Enable Keyboard LED' was the culprit.  It's not exactly
self-explanatory - I thought that was some sort of option for laptops
or special keyboards

--
Richard Kimber