Ubuntu Newsgroup

Hakim Singhji-2
Hi Everyone,

I like using [hidden email] however, I am partial to
newsgroups and I found out that Ubuntu has its own news group at
alt.os.linux.ubuntu.

This maybe very helpful for some. If anyone needs information on free
newsgroup subscriptions please feel free to ask. I know a few like
Sunsite and Yottanews.

I hope to see more of you at alt.os.linux.ubuntu.

Best,
--
Hakim Singhji
New York University

"If you want to travel around the world and be invited to speak at a lot
of different places, just write a Unix operating system."
(By Linus Torvalds)

Re: Ubuntu Newsgroup

Nicolas Chevreux
Hello,

Hakim Singhji wrote in an email dated 14-Nov-05 15:40:
> I like using [hidden email] however, I am partial to
> newsgroups and I found out that Ubuntu has its own news group at
> alt.os.linux.ubuntu.

The list you mention is also available as a newsgroup, at
gmane.linux.ubuntu.user. The server is news.gmane.org

Nicolas

Re: Ubuntu Newsgroup

john levin-2
Hakim Singhji wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I like using [hidden email] however, I am partial to
> newsgroups and I found out that Ubuntu has its own news group at
> alt.os.linux.ubuntu.
>
> This maybe very helpful for some. If anyone needs information on free
> newsgroup subscriptions please feel free to ask. I know a few like
> Sunsite and Yottanews.
>
> I hope to see more of you at alt.os.linux.ubuntu.
>
> Best,

And just a reminder that you can access ubuntu users through gmane,
through your browser:
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user
and through your newsreader:
nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user

HTH

John

Re: Ubuntu Newsgroup

Christoph Bier
Hakim Singhji schrieb am 14.11.2005 15:40:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I like using [hidden email] however, I am partial to
> newsgroups and I found out that Ubuntu has its own news group at
> alt.os.linux.ubuntu.
>
> This maybe very helpful for some. If anyone needs information on free
> newsgroup subscriptions please feel free to ask. I know a few like
> Sunsite and Yottanews.
>
> I hope to see more of you at alt.os.linux.ubuntu.

I also prefer newsgroups but this one isn't listed at my news
provider's server :-(. For this list I use the Gmane gateway but
actually it's not the same like a newsgroup.

Regards,
     Christoph
--
+++ Typografie-Regeln: http://www.zvisionwelt.de/typokurz.pdf (1.4)

Re: Ubuntu Newsgroup

Derek Broughton-2
Christoph Bier wrote:

> Hakim Singhji schrieb am 14.11.2005 15:40:
>
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> I like using [hidden email] however, I am partial to
>> newsgroups and I found out that Ubuntu has its own news group at
>> alt.os.linux.ubuntu.
>>
>> This maybe very helpful for some. If anyone needs information on free
>> newsgroup subscriptions please feel free to ask. I know a few like
>> Sunsite and Yottanews.
>>
>> I hope to see more of you at alt.os.linux.ubuntu.
>
> I also prefer newsgroups but this one isn't listed at my news
> provider's server :-(. For this list I use the Gmane gateway but
> actually it's not the same like a newsgroup.

What's not the same about it?  I access it via a newsreader, I filter it
like a newsgroup, and it looks _exactly_ like a newsgroup (even including
the ability to cross-post into big 8 newsgroups, or alt.os.linux.ubuntu (or
at least it would if my news server carried alt.os.linux.ubuntu).
--
derek

Re: Ubuntu Newsgroup

Hakim Singhji-2
Christoph Bier wrote:
> I also prefer newsgroups but this one isn't listed at my news
> provider's server :-(. For this list I use the Gmane gateway but
> actually it's not the same like a newsgroup.

Funny... the gmane newsgroup is not listed with my service provider. I
use the free nntp servers. If anyone know of a free NNTP server that has
access to the news.gmane.org please post it. Thanks

Best,

Hakim Singhji wrote in an email dated 14-Nov-05 18:26:
> Funny... the gmane newsgroup is not listed with my service provider. I
> use the free nntp servers. If anyone know of a free NNTP server that has
> access to the news.gmane.org please post it. Thanks

The gmane newsgroups are on their own server: news.gmane.org

Nicolas

Re: Ubuntu Newsgroup

Sarangan Thuraisingham / துரைசிங்கம் சாரங்கன்

Hakim Singhji wrote:

> Christoph Bier wrote:
>
>>I also prefer newsgroups but this one isn't listed at my news
>>provider's server :-(. For this list I use the Gmane gateway but
>>actually it's not the same like a newsgroup.
>

> Funny... the gmane newsgroup is not listed with my service provider. I
> use the free nntp servers. If anyone know of a free NNTP server that has
> access to the news.gmane.org please post it. Thanks
>
> Best,

Hmmm I don't know how newsgroups work. So I 've subscribed to few groups
in the news.gmane.org news server. I can access it with no problems in
ThunderBird. Hakhim, why do you need a free NNTP server ???
------------------------------------
Sarangan Thuraisingham
ECS, University of Southampton, UK

    Tux is the Best
   Next is the Rest

Re: Ubuntu Newsgroup

Nitebirdz
On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 12:26:41PM -0500, Hakim Singhji wrote:

> Funny... the gmane newsgroup is not listed with my service provider. I
> use the free nntp servers. If anyone know of a free NNTP server that has
> access to the news.gmane.org please post it. Thanks

Hakim,

I believe news.gmane.org *is* a free NNTP server.  You don't need to go
through your service provider's NNTP server at all.  Simply create a new
profile in your favorite news reader or change its settings to point to
their news server, and that should do the trick.

Re: Ubuntu Newsgroup

Hakim Singhji

Re: Ubuntu Newsgroup

Rebel Lion
On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 06:13, Derek Broughton wrote:

> > I also prefer newsgroups but this one isn't listed at my news
> > provider's server :-(. For this list I use the Gmane gateway but
> > actually it's not the same like a newsgroup.
>
> What's not the same about it?  I access it via a newsreader, I filter it
> like a newsgroup, and it looks _exactly_ like a newsgroup (even including
> the ability to cross-post into big 8 newsgroups, or alt.os.linux.ubuntu (or
> at least it would if my news server carried alt.os.linux.ubuntu).
> --
> derek

  For all of you a little unfamiliar with newsgroups and servers. Go to
knode/pan whichever you use and set up a new news feed to point to
news.gmane.org, fetch the list and then join the appropriate ones.

Re: Ubuntu Newsgroup

Christoph Bier
Derek Broughton schrieb am 14.11.2005 18:13:

> Christoph Bier wrote:

>>I also prefer newsgroups but this one isn't listed at my news
>>provider's server :-(. For this list I use the Gmane gateway but
>>actually it's not the same like a newsgroup.
>
> What's not the same about it?  [...]

>From the technical point of view it's very often incredible slow.

But what I mean is concerned to a kind of "culture" of
communication. This ML tends to be more noisy (of course I already
made unnecessary noise, too; sometimes it happens) than NGs and you
find much more emails with bad quotation. For example, I hate TOFU
because I have to scroll down at the bottom of the email to see that
there's nothing but quoted text. Reading dozens of NGs and MLs the
time for scrolling sums to a significant amount I simply can not
afford. Many articles are posted via the Forum gateway so you do not
see the real name but `'Forum Post'. I like to know the real name of
the person I'm talking to ... But this is an old discussion even on
this list. I don't want to start it again.

Best,
  Christoph
--
+++ Typografie-Regeln: http://www.zvisionwelt.de/typokurz.pdf (1.4)

Re: Ubuntu Newsgroup

Christoph Bier
Derek Broughton schrieb am 14.11.2005 18:13:

> Christoph Bier wrote:

>>I also prefer newsgroups but this one isn't listed at my news
>>provider's server :-(. For this list I use the Gmane gateway but
>>actually it's not the same like a newsgroup.
>
> What's not the same about it?  [...]

>From the technical point of view it's very often incredible slow.

But what I mean is concerned to a kind of "culture" of
communication. This ML tends to be more noisy (of course I already
made unnecessary noise, too; sometimes it happens) than NGs and you
find much more emails with bad quotation. For example, I hate TOFU
because I have to scroll down at the bottom of the email to see that
there's nothing but quoted text. Reading dozens of NGs and MLs the
time for scrolling sums to a significant amount I simply can not
afford. Many articles are posted via the Forum gateway so you do not
see the real name but `'Forum Post'. I like to know the real name of
the person I'm talking to ... But this is an old discussion even on
this list. I don't want to start it again.

Best,
  Christoph
--
+++ Typografie-Regeln: http://www.zvisionwelt.de/typokurz.pdf (1.4)

Re: Ubuntu Newsgroup

Ed Fletcher

Re: Ubuntu Newsgroup

Christoph Bier
Christoph Bier schrieb am 15.11.2005 00:45:

> Derek Broughton schrieb am 14.11.2005 18:13:
>
>>Christoph Bier wrote:
>
>>>I also prefer newsgroups but this one isn't listed at my news
>>>provider's server :-(. For this list I use the Gmane gateway but
>>>actually it's not the same like a newsgroup.
>>
>>What's not the same about it?  [...]
>
>>From the technical point of view it's very often incredible slow.
^-> it's not me that inserts this quotation mark! I already canceled
my first email when I saw the quotation mark and sent the email
again. But there's again this quotation mark that's not present in
the email I sent ...

Christoph Bier wrote:
> Derek Broughton schrieb am 14.11.2005 18:13:
>

>>Christoph Bier wrote:
>[snip]
 > .... NGs and you

> find much more emails with bad quotation. For example, I hate TOFU
> because I have to scroll down at the bottom of the email to see that
> there's nothing but quoted text. Reading dozens of NGs and MLs the
> time for scrolling sums to a significant amount I simply can not
> afford. Many articles are posted via the Forum gateway so you do not
> see the real name but `'Forum Post'. I like to know the real name of
> the person I'm talking to ... But this is an old discussion even on
> this list. I don't want to start it again.
>
> Best,
>   Christoph

Well I didn't think about it that way until now. From now on I am going
to mend my ways and hence this change. From this day forward, I am going
to start bottom posting and not full quote unnecessarily :D

Regards,
  Saru
------------------------------------

Christoph Bier wrote:

> Derek Broughton schrieb am 14.11.2005 18:13:
>
>> Christoph Bier wrote:
>
>>>I also prefer newsgroups but this one isn't listed at my news
>>>provider's server :-(. For this list I use the Gmane gateway but
>>>actually it's not the same like a newsgroup.
>>
>> What's not the same about it?  [...]
>
>From the technical point of view it's very often incredible slow.

Not that I've ever noticed on the ubuntu lists.  There are a couple of
moderated lists though where I suspect the moderators don't actually want
postings from gmane - I wish they'd say that instead of just slowing the
traffic from gmane.

> But what I mean is concerned to a kind of "culture" of
> communication. This ML tends to be more noisy (of course I already
> made unnecessary noise, too; sometimes it happens) than NGs and you
> find much more emails with bad quotation.

I've never heard anybody suggest that mailing lists are ever more noisy than
newsgroups.  You don't hang out in the same newsgroups I do.  Quoting is a
practice that is invariably poor in both mail lists and newsgroups.

> For example, I hate TOFU
> because I have to scroll down at the bottom of the email to see that
> there's nothing but quoted text.

Again, not something that's ever any different between email lists and
newsgroups.

> Many articles are posted via the Forum gateway so you do not
> see the real name but `'Forum Post'. I like to know the real name of
> the person I'm talking to ...

But you never do on newsgroups _or_ lists (though, if I had my druthers I'd
close down that forum gateway).  The poster is named whatever the poster
wants, and I'm on one newsgroup where trolls routinely use the same names
as regular posters.
--
derek

Re: Ubuntu Newsgroup

Derek Broughton-2
Christoph Bier wrote:

> Christoph Bier schrieb am 15.11.2005 00:45:
>
>> Derek Broughton schrieb am 14.11.2005 18:13:

>>>What's not the same about it?  [...]
>>
>>>From the technical point of view it's very often incredible slow.
> ^-> it's not me that inserts this quotation mark! I already canceled
> my first email when I saw the quotation mark and sent the email
> again. But there's again this quotation mark that's not present in
> the email I sent ...

Never start a line with "from".  It's an age old hack to prevent damaging
people's mbox files.
--
derek

Re: Ubuntu Newsgroup

Christoph Bier
Derek Broughton schrieb am 15.11.2005 16:55:

> Christoph Bier wrote:
>
>>Christoph Bier schrieb am 15.11.2005 00:45:

[...]

>>^-> it's not me that inserts this quotation mark! I already canceled
>>my first email when I saw the quotation mark and sent the email
>>again. But there's again this quotation mark that's not present in
>>the email I sent ...
>
> Never start a line with "from".  It's an age old hack to prevent damaging
> people's mbox files.

Thanks!

Derek Broughton schrieb am 15.11.2005 16:54:

> Christoph Bier wrote:
>
>>Derek Broughton schrieb am 14.11.2005 18:13:

>>>What's not the same about it?  [...]
>>
>>From the technical point of view it's very often incredible slow.
>
> Not that I've ever noticed on the ubuntu lists. [...]

But me ... But it became better in the last months.

>>But what I mean is concerned to a kind of "culture" of
>>communication. This ML tends to be more noisy (of course I already
>>made unnecessary noise, too; sometimes it happens) than NGs and you
>>find much more emails with bad quotation.
>
> I've never heard anybody suggest that mailing lists are ever more noisy than
> newsgroups.  You don't hang out in the same newsgroups I do.  Quoting is a
> practice that is invariably poor in both mail lists and newsgroups.

That's just my experience. I use the usenet for about 7 years and
mailing lists for about 11 years. I see much more discipline in
newsgroups than on mailing list. But: Most newsgroups I read are
german speaking groups. And I often heard (and experienced) that
they are really stricter than english speaking groups. To be honest
there's only one german speaking mailing list I'm subscribed to ...
My experience may be influenced by this fact (though this german
mailing list isn't strict at all).

>>For example, I hate TOFU
>>because I have to scroll down at the bottom of the email to see that
>>there's nothing but quoted text.
>
> Again, not something that's ever any different between email lists and
> newsgroups.

That's my experience indeed. But it may not be representative. So I
revoke my statement on "cultural" differences between mailing lists
and newsgroups.

>>Many articles are posted via the Forum gateway so you do not
>>see the real name but `'Forum Post'. I like to know the real name of
>>the person I'm talking to ...
>
> But you never do on newsgroups _or_ lists (though, if I had my druthers I'd
> close down that forum gateway).  The poster is named whatever the poster
> wants, and I'm on one newsgroup where trolls routinely use the same names
> as regular posters.

Of course, I'm aware of this. But I think there's no need to further
discuss the real name topic. Besides, my english is not good enough
to satisfactorily put into words what I think about it.

Best,
  Christoph
--
+++ Typografie-Regeln: http://www.zvisionwelt.de/typokurz.pdf (1.4)