Ubuntu Serverguide - pending point release for 18.04 will be in English only.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Ubuntu Serverguide - pending point release for 18.04 will be in English only.

Doug Smythies
Hi All,

In a few days help.ubuntu.com will be updated with
a point release of the 18.04 Serverguide.

Only the US-English version will be published.

Why?

It is likely that for the 20.04 LTS release, the Serverguide
source code will be changed to git based version control and
some sort of markup language, moving away from docbook and the
current workflow. Currently, translations are not part of the new
project.

For the Serverguide, all of our feedback has been that other
languages are not needed. The objective here is to avoid a
big issue when these changes occur for 20.04 by forcing feedback
now, if someone really cares and notices.

... Doug

References (some not all):
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-translators/2018-October/007514.html
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-translators/2018-October/007515.html
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-translators/2018-October/007518.html
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-translators/2017-December/007428.html



--
ubuntu-translators mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-translators
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ubuntu Serverguide - pending point release for 18.04 will be in English only.

Peter Matulis-5
On Sat, Jun 15, 2019 at 12:33 PM Doug Smythies <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It is likely that for the 20.04 LTS release, the Serverguide
> source code will be changed to git based version control and
> some sort of markup language, moving away from docbook and the
> current workflow.

Hi Doug. As you know, I've tried hard to propose this (markdown + git)
in the past, so this is good news as far as I'm concerned. I'm just
wondering why this change is acceptable now while it was not before?
Is it due to dumping translations? As I recall, that was a lingering
question.

Peter

--
ubuntu-translators mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-translators
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ubuntu Serverguide - pending point release for 18.04 will be in English only.

frank.heimes
In reply to this post by Doug Smythies
Hi Doug,
glad to hear about the move to git - already any more details on the 'markup' language?
And do you think if the other guides will follow this approach as well - like especially installation guide ?

BR, Frank


On Sat, Jun 15, 2019 at 6:33 PM Doug Smythies <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,

In a few days help.ubuntu.com will be updated with
a point release of the 18.04 Serverguide.

Only the US-English version will be published.

Why?

It is likely that for the 20.04 LTS release, the Serverguide
source code will be changed to git based version control and
some sort of markup language, moving away from docbook and the
current workflow. Currently, translations are not part of the new
project.

For the Serverguide, all of our feedback has been that other
languages are not needed. The objective here is to avoid a
big issue when these changes occur for 20.04 by forcing feedback
now, if someone really cares and notices.

... Doug

References (some not all):
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-translators/2018-October/007514.html
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-translators/2018-October/007515.html
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-translators/2018-October/007518.html
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-translators/2017-December/007428.html



--
ubuntu-doc mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-doc

--
ubuntu-translators mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-translators
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Ubuntu Serverguide - pending point release for 18.04 will be in English only.

Doug Smythies
In reply to this post by Peter Matulis-5
On 2019.06.17 09:18 Peter Matulis wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 15, 2019 at 12:33 PM Doug Smythies <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> It is likely that for the 20.04 LTS release, the Serverguide
>> source code will be changed to git based version control and
>> some sort of markup language, moving away from docbook and the
>> current workflow.
>
> Hi Doug. As you know, I've tried hard to propose this (markdown + git)
> in the past, so this is good news as far as I'm concerned. I'm just
> wondering why this change is acceptable now while it was not before?
> Is it due to dumping translations? As I recall, that was a lingering
> question.

It was never ever unacceptable, it just always fizzled out before.
There was always push back and questions that needed to be answered,
including from me.

The current situation is untenable. The Serverguide is
desperate for subject matter expert input.

However, yes, in the past we always had concerns about how the
translations side of it would be incorporated into the workflow.

Our current and best information is that publishing the Serverguide
in other languages is not needed.
This step is merely to force the translations issue by removing them
now. (i.e. while the decision is still easily reversible.)

Beyond that, I am not actually involved in the project.
It is my understanding that the Canonical Docs team and
the server team will implement it.
My roll will be to continue to maintain and publish the existing DocBook
version of the serverguide, until such time as it has been replaced.
I have no clue how the new publication on help.ubuntu.com workflow
will go.

... Doug



--
ubuntu-translators mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-translators
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Ubuntu Serverguide - pending point release for 18.04 will be in English only.

Doug Smythies
In reply to this post by frank.heimes
On 2019.06.17 12:30 Frank Heimes wrote:

> Hi Doug,

Hi,

> glad to hear about the move to git
> - already any more details on the 'markup' language?

Last I knew (September), there were two contenders,
as proposed by the Canonical Docs team. Excerpt
from Josh Powers (Reference, my archives: 2018.09.28 10:38) below:

>1) Migrate the docs to use Markdown as was originally outlined in the
> proposal last year [1]
>
> 2) Update the docs to use Discourse similar to how snapcraft [2] has.
> The snapcraft project has a Discourse forum with a 'doc' subforum [3]
> where each page is listed to allow for edits, questions, and
> contributions to be made. Once the base content is updated the website
> [4] is updated as well.
>
> [1]
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-server/2017-February/007459.html
> [2] https://github.com/canonical-websites/discourse-docs.snapcraft.io
> [3] https://forum.snapcraft.io/c/doc
> [4] https://docs.snapcraft.io/

> And do you think if the other guides will follow this
> approach as well - like especially installation guide ?

I have no idea. In terms of the installation guide, all
that I do is per LTS cycle simple edits, compile and
publish on help.ubuntu.com. Sometimes the published
version of the installation guide might slightly differ from the
packaged version, because my request for a merge proposal just
sits there, so I go ahead anyhow and publish what I have.
(not the case at the moment.)

... Doug



--
ubuntu-translators mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-translators
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ubuntu Serverguide - pending point release for 18.04 will be in English only.

Joshua Powers
Hi,

On 6/17/19 4:14 PM, Doug Smythies wrote:
> On 2019.06.17 12:30 Frank Heimes wrote:
>> glad to hear about the move to git
>> - already any more details on the 'markup' language?
>
> Last I knew (September), there were two contenders,
> as proposed by the Canonical Docs team. Excerpt
> from Josh Powers (Reference, my archives: 2018.09.28 10:38) below:

As Doug has mentioned the server guide is in dire need of updates. The
Canonical server team agreed that we would devote some time to work to
transitioning the existing serer guide to a system that easier for
contributions.

I was hoping to show off the new guide once we actually had some content
in place and encourage contributions, fixes, and new topics in
preparation for the next LTS.

Thanks,
Josh

--
ubuntu-translators mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-translators