* Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS released
* Ubuntu Stats
* UbunConLa 2014, next week! (August 14th-16th)
* [Event]Open Source Conference 2014 Kansai@Kyoto
* ReVerification Ubuntu Greece
* Michael Hall: Web apps vs. Native apps in Ubuntu
* Canonical Design Team: Ubuntu 14.10 wallpapers - we needs 'em!
* Unity8 & Mir update Aug 5, 2014
* The hybrid cloud would prefer you leave your interop inhibitions at the door
* India Opens Up to Ubuntu
* Amazon 'adware' laden Ubuntu passes ICO's data smell test
* In The Blogosphere
* Featured Audio and Video
* Weekly Ubuntu Development Team Meetings
* Upcoming Meetings and Events
* Updates and Security for 10.04, 12.04 and 14.04
* And much more!
== General Community News ==
=== Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS released ===
On behalf of the release team, Stephane Graber announces the
availability of the fifth point release for Ubuntu 12.04. He writes
that in addition to a an updated kernel and X stack for new
installations on x86 architectures, "this point release includes many
updates, and updated installation media has been provided so that
fewer updates will need to be downloaded after installation. These
include security updates and corrections for other high-impact bugs,
with a focus on maintaining stability and compatibility with Ubuntu
=== UbunConLa 2014, next week! (August 14th-16th) ===
Javier Lopez writes a blog post letting us know that UbuConLA in
Columbia is coming up August 14-16th. Javier writes: "With so many
attendees I'm sure the UbuConLA will not only increase the awareness
of Ubuntu and libre software in the region but will be an ideal forum
to exchange experience between local teams and its correlation with
local governments and other institutions."
mizuno-as lets us know about the Open Source Conference 2014
Kansai@Kyoto that was held in the city of Kyoto on August 1-2, and
shares some pictures of the event with us including a photo of the
Ubuntu booth and photos from Hiroshi Chonan's presentation on Trusty
George Christofis, contact for the Ubuntu Greece team, announces that
the team has been reverified by the LoCo Council and writes: "The
Greek community started its activity in 2005, and since 2008 which it
was the first approval from LoCo Council, is continued to be the
verified Ubuntu community in Greece due to the work and the activities
by the members. Many credits to all members of our community for their
=== Michael Hall: Web apps vs. Native apps in Ubuntu ===
Michael hall writes a blog post about the differences in a web
application (HTML5) vs a Native application (QML) running in Ubuntu,
and concludes: "webapps should be treated like native apps, and
increasingly will be on modern computing platforms, because the
distinction between them is either being chipped away or becoming
Alan Pope provides an update on the Core Apps status, Clock reboot,
Reminders using production Evernote for syncing, and a call for more
Benjamin Zeller from the Ubuntu SDK joins us for the first time to
talk about recent improvements to the SDK tools, additions to the UI
Toolkit components, and optimizations under the hood.
Lukasz Zemczak talked about the phone image release process, CI team
dashboard, how being in TRAINCON-0 affects the landing process, and
what changes are coming to support an RTM branch of development.
Olli Ries brought us an update on the Unity 8 development, new APIs
landing for the dash and indicators, and plans for further
=== Ubuntu Podcast from the UK LoCo: S07E19 - The One Where No One's Ready ===
We take a look at what's been happening in the news:
* More companies join the Linux Foundation...
* Groupon launches "Gnome Software" (you can see where this one is going...)
* Mozilla joins That List...
* EtherCalc, a collaborative open source spreadsheet has been launched...
* Password manager Mitro is being open sourced by Twitter...
* XBMC will be renamed to Kodi...
This week, we just about have time for some gaming news from Tony:
* GOG.com have added Linux support for 50+ games in their DRM-free catalog...
We also take a look at what's been happening in the community:
* Ubuntu is to get faster positioning services through Nokia HERE maps...
* Alpha 2 of Utopic Unicorn has been released...
* Support for GTK apps running on Mir has landed in utopic-proposed...
* The ICO and the legality of the Ubuntu shopping lens...
And there are a couple of events:
* Wikimania 2014 - 8th-10th August - London, UK
* Ogg`Camp 2014 - 4th-5th October - Oxford, UK
The Ubuntu community consists of individuals and teams, working on
different aspects of the distribution, giving advice and technical
support, and helping to promote Ubuntu to a wider audience. No
contribution is too small, and anyone can help. It's your chance to
get in on all the community fun associated with developing and
promoting Ubuntu. http://community.ubuntu.com/contribute/