Ubuntu and featherlinux syslinux failure

Ubuntu and featherlinux syslinux failure

Cybe R. Wizard
I'm trying to put featherlinux on my 1gig USB key.  I've DLed and
unzipped the zip to my key, loaded Ubuntu's syslinux 2.11-0.1ubuntu4
and run
<sudo syslinux /dev/sda1>
which fails with:

sh: mcopy: command not found
syslinux: failed to create ldlinux.sys

Searching with Synaptic reveals no mcopy, I suppose it's supposed to be
included in syslinux?  At this point I'm stumped.  Should I remove
syslinux and install from source?  An other source than Ubuntu's?
Must I first delete all my other files on the USB key, format and
re-install?

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Q: What's the difference between MicroSoft Windows and a virus?
A: Apart from the fact that viruses are supported by their authors,

Re: Ubuntu and featherlinux syslinux failure

Tim Frost
On Fri, 2005-12-16 at 20:42 -0600, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

> I'm trying to put featherlinux on my 1gig USB key.  I've DLed and
> unzipped the zip to my key, loaded Ubuntu's syslinux 2.11-0.1ubuntu4
> and run
> <sudo syslinux /dev/sda1>
> which fails with:
>
> sh: mcopy: command not found
> syslinux: failed to create ldlinux.sys
>
> Searching with Synaptic reveals no mcopy, I suppose it's supposed to be
> included in syslinux?
mcopy is in mtools, which appears in the "Recommends" section for
syslunux:
$ dpkg -S /usr/bin/mcopy
mtools: /usr/bin/mcopy

If syslinux needs mcopy, then it should have mtools as a "depends"
entry,  rather than a "Recommends" entry.
]
>  At this point I'm stumped.  Should I remove
> syslinux and install from source?  An other source than Ubuntu's?
> Must I first delete all my other files on the USB key, format and
> re-install?

Just put your ubuntu CD into the drive, then do
  sudo apt-get install mtools

(Note that mtools may not be included on your CD, and that means that it
will be downloaded from your preferred archive).

Tim

Re: Ubuntu and featherlinux syslinux failure

Cybe R. Wizard
On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 20:27:26 +1300
Tim Frost <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-12-16 at 20:42 -0600, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> > I'm trying to put featherlinux on my 1gig USB key.  I've DLed and
> > unzipped the zip to my key, loaded Ubuntu's syslinux 2.11-0.1ubuntu4
> > and run
> > <sudo syslinux /dev/sda1>
> > which fails with:
> >
> > sh: mcopy: command not found
> > syslinux: failed to create ldlinux.sys
> >
> > Searching with Synaptic reveals no mcopy, I suppose it's supposed
> > to be
> > included in syslinux?
> mcopy is in mtools, which appears in the "Recommends" section for
> syslunux:

Thanks, Tim.  I got mtools and it worked a treat.  Now to find if the
USB key is truly bootable...

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Q: What's the difference between MicroSoft Windows and a virus?
A: Apart from the fact that viruses are supported by their authors,