Ubuntu code of conduct update

Laura Czajkowski
Hi just to let people know and so they can share with their teams, the Ubuntu code of conduct has been updated. For more information please see - http://fridge.ubuntu.com/2012/04/16/code-of-conduct-update/

Thanks

Laura

Re: Ubuntu code of conduct update

Neal McBurnett
I looked, but it wasn't clear how to see diffs between this and the last version, because there are so many diffs, nor how to find versions before number 15, or how to figure out the version number of the last one we adopted.

Can someone post a link to a nicely-formatted diff?

Neal McBurnett                 http://neal.mcburnett.org/

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 02:00:06PM +0100, Laura Czajkowski wrote:
> Hi just to let people know and so they can share with their teams, the Ubuntu
> code of conduct has been updated. For more information please see - http://
> fridge.ubuntu.com/2012/04/16/code-of-conduct-update/
>

> Thanks
>

> Laura

Re: Ubuntu code of conduct update

Greg Grossmeier-2
<quote name="Neal McBurnett" date="2012-04-16" time="09:52:51 -0600">
> I looked, but it wasn't clear how to see diffs between this and the
> last version, because there are so many diffs, nor how to find
> versions before number 15, or how to figure out the version number of
> the last one we adopted.

Agreed. I was even willing to step through each diff, until I hit this
one:
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~sabdfl/ubuntu-codeofconduct/v2-draft/revision/17
(click expand all)

It really is important to see exactly how wordings have changed, in my
opinion. Phrasing is as important as the intention, in many cases.

Best,

Greg

--
| Greg Grossmeier            GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
| http://grossmeier.net           A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |

On 16/04/12 16:52, Neal McBurnett wrote:

> I looked, but it wasn't clear how to see diffs between this and the last version, because there are so many diffs, nor how to find versions before number 15, or how to figure out the version number of the last one we adopted.
>
> Can someone post a link to a nicely-formatted diff?
>
> Neal McBurnett                 http://neal.mcburnett.org/
>
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 02:00:06PM +0100, Laura Czajkowski wrote:
>> Hi just to let people know and so they can share with their teams, the Ubuntu
>> code of conduct has been updated. For more information please see - http://
>> fridge.ubuntu.com/2012/04/16/code-of-conduct-update/
>>

>> Thanks
>>

>> Laura

http://paste.ubuntu.com/932765/ or http://paste.ubuntu.com/932767/  this
may be of some help

Laura

Re: Ubuntu code of conduct update

David Planella-4
Al 16/04/12 15:00, En/na Laura Czajkowski ha escrit:
> Hi just to let people know and so they can share with their teams, the
> Ubuntu code of conduct has been updated. For more information please see
> - http://fridge.ubuntu.com/2012/04/16/code-of-conduct-update/

Thanks Laura,

Seeing this new update, last night I went ahead and added
internationalization support to the CoC, LCoC and the merged CoC.

I had tried it a couple of times in the past, but didn't complete it due
to lack of time. This time around I've done it in a way that it's quite
simple and does not affect the text in the original files at all.

You'll find the code and documentation here:

https://code.launchpad.net/~dpm/ubuntu-codeofconduct/v2-draft

If the Community Council is happy with merging it, I'll be happy to help
setting up the translations in Launchpad, which should only be a matter
of minutes.

Cheers,
David.

--
David Planella
Ubuntu Translations Coordinator

Re: Ubuntu code of conduct update

Daniel Holbach-2
Hey David,

thanks a lot for your work on this.

On 17.04.2012 09:36, David Planella wrote:

> Seeing this new update, last night I went ahead and added
> internationalization support to the CoC, LCoC and the merged CoC.
>
> I had tried it a couple of times in the past, but didn't complete it due
> to lack of time. This time around I've done it in a way that it's quite
> simple and does not affect the text in the original files at all.
>
> You'll find the code and documentation here:
>
> https://code.launchpad.net/~dpm/ubuntu-codeofconduct/v2-draft
>
> If the Community Council is happy with merging it, I'll be happy to help
> setting up the translations in Launchpad, which should only be a matter
> of minutes.

It might only be necessary to do this for the merged code of conduct.
Once we agreed on a v2, we can get probably get rid of the old versions,
but I guess this should be no problem.

Thanks again.

Have a great day,
 Daniel

--
Get involved in Ubuntu development! developer.ubuntu.com/packaging
And follow @ubuntudev on identi.ca/twitter.com/facebook.com/gplus.to

Re: Ubuntu code of conduct update

David Planella-4
Al 17/04/12 09:41, En/na Daniel Holbach ha escrit:

> Hey David,
>
> thanks a lot for your work on this.
>
> On 17.04.2012 09:36, David Planella wrote:
>> Seeing this new update, last night I went ahead and added
>> internationalization support to the CoC, LCoC and the merged CoC.
>>
>> I had tried it a couple of times in the past, but didn't complete it due
>> to lack of time. This time around I've done it in a way that it's quite
>> simple and does not affect the text in the original files at all.
>>
>> You'll find the code and documentation here:
>>
>> https://code.launchpad.net/~dpm/ubuntu-codeofconduct/v2-draft
>>
>> If the Community Council is happy with merging it, I'll be happy to help
>> setting up the translations in Launchpad, which should only be a matter
>> of minutes.
>
> It might only be necessary to do this for the merged code of conduct.
> Once we agreed on a v2, we can get probably get rid of the old versions,
> but I guess this should be no problem.

Yeah, this should not be a problem. Right now it's set up to translate
all 3 documents. If in the end there is only one document, the
translations set up will be even simpler.

If you know for certain that there will only be one document at the end
of this process, I can do the changes straight away.

Just let me know and I'll adapt the code.

Cheers,
David.

--
David Planella
Ubuntu Translations Coordinator

Re: Ubuntu code of conduct update

Dmitry Agafonov-4
Hi!

From the early times there were impression, that CoC (like GPL) should
be only available (and signed) as English text, and translations may
exist for informational purposes only.

--
Dmitry Agafonov ~ http://agafonov.pp.ru/

Re: Ubuntu code of conduct update

Simos Xenitellis-4
On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 12:28 PM, Dmitry Agafonov
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> From the early times there were impression, that CoC (like GPL) should
> be only available (and signed) as English text, and translations may
> exist for informational purposes only.

Indeed, for the purposes of digitally signing the document and
becoming an Ubuntero,
it should probably be the original document in English.

LoCos though would love to have the document in their language, so
that they can disseminate within their group and use actively.
I am looking forward to having this set up so that we can start
translating (in Greek).

Simos

[hidden email] wrote:

Indeed, for the purposes of digitally signing the document and
becoming an Ubuntero,
it should probably be the original document in English.

LoCos though would love to have the document in their language, so
that they can disseminate within their group and use actively.
I am looking forward to having this set up so that we can start
translating (in Greek).

Simos

I think it's great to see the Code of Conduct being translated for teams as it makes them feel more part of the community and it's something I've longed to see and happy it's taking place.   So thank you David!

Also to note Ubuntero doesn't exist and hasn't done for some time see why - https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad/+bug/272826

Laura

Re: Ubuntu code of conduct update

Mark Shuttleworth-3
On 17/04/12 01:06, David Planella wrote:
> If you know for certain that there will only be one document at the end
> of this process, I can do the changes straight away.

Yes, there will only be the one merged document at the end of the process.

Thanks David, super cool tool you have there :) !

Mark