Ubuntu for mobile devices via virtual network computing

Ubuntu for mobile devices via virtual network computing

if you don't own an Android, iOS or iPadOS device, just open a web
browser and run an Ubuntu flavour online (perhaps using an adblocker):
https://www.onworks.net/os-distributions/ubuntu-based

Android:
https://www.onworks.net/applications/android-apps/ubuworks-ubuntu-from-android

I tested it for iPadOS.
https://apps.apple.com/app/ubuntuow-connection-vnc/id1433327149#?platform=ipad
There's no way to share folders and files, no audio bridge etc, I at
least couldn't start jackd when running an Ubuntu Studio session, but
the connection with the host works without issues. Sure, no root access,
but fortunately the advertisings are hidden under the virtual keyboard
and other than for XGimp from the same seller, I didn't experienced ads
that lock the screen for a while, when starting the app. I could click
away the ads immediately. The performance is very good, at least with my
iPad and the current Internet connection.

Screenshot of a session:
https://i.imgur.com/gKFnFkh.png
As you can see, it's the oldest still supported LTS, but it's up to
date.

The supported flavours:
https://i.imgur.com/D3YqazT.png

Regards,
Ralf

Re: Ubuntu for mobile devices via virtual network computing

マスターズ・イアン
Thanks for the introduction, Ralf.

So this Onworks site is for testing out various OSes before you decide which one to use.

Are there any other benefits?

Does Onworks provide other paid services?

Thanks

Ian

On 2019-10-15 6:51, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:

> Hi,
>
> if you don't own an Android, iOS or iPadOS device, just open a web
> browser and run an Ubuntu flavour online (perhaps using an adblocker):
> https://www.onworks.net/os-distributions/ubuntu-based
>
> Android:
> https://www.onworks.net/applications/android-apps/ubuworks-ubuntu-from-android
>
> I tested it for iPadOS.
> https://apps.apple.com/app/ubuntuow-connection-vnc/id1433327149#?platform=ipad
> There's no way to share folders and files, no audio bridge etc, I at
> least couldn't start jackd when running an Ubuntu Studio session, but
> the connection with the host works without issues. Sure, no root access,
> but fortunately the advertisings are hidden under the virtual keyboard
> and other than for XGimp from the same seller, I didn't experienced ads
> that lock the screen for a while, when starting the app. I could click
> away the ads immediately. The performance is very good, at least with my
> iPad and the current Internet connection.
>
> Screenshot of a session:
> https://i.imgur.com/gKFnFkh.png
> As you can see, it's the oldest still supported LTS, but it's up to
> date.
>
> The supported flavours:
> https://i.imgur.com/D3YqazT.png
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

Re: Ubuntu for mobile devices via virtual network computing

ubuntu-users mailing list
On Thu, 2019-10-17 at 09:25 +0900, マスターズ・イアン wrote:
> So this Onworks site is for testing out various OSes before you decide which one to use.

Or for even less than testing. Maybe for taking a look at an OS, before
downloading a media to test it. Or if somebody is with a smart phone on
a train journey and wants to learn writing bash scripts or to take a
look at something, to help on a mailing list etc..

> Are there any other benefits?

Perhaps to get an impression, if it's worth the trouble to set up your
own vncserver.

> Does Onworks provide other paid services?

I don't know. AFAIK the services are free as in beer, resp. you pay for
it by getting peppered with ads.

I found something that might be also interesting:
http://tour.ubuntu.com/en/
https://onworksfreehosting.blogspot.com/2019/09/onworks-and-google-drive-integration.html

On Thu, 17 Oct 2019 07:20:39 +0200, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:
>http://tour.ubuntu.com/en/

Oops, just a tour, nothing you could test.

But _perhaps_:

https://distrotest.net/

"A free slot is reserved for you...
Your waiting time: < 1 min
You are on slot #3"

*wait*

"System started since: 2019.10.17 07:36
Remaining runtime: 30 minutes"

Actually it doesn't.

https://linuxcontainers.org/lxd/try-it/

lxc launch ubuntu:18.04 first

Not that interesting :D.

Trying to learn C++

Stephen

I'm trying to learn Cpp programing on Linux Mint 18.3 which is based on
Ubuntu 16.04.

Every time I try to compile a source file that has #include <iostream> I
get a message saying that it can't find iostream. I tried using
iostream.h and it had the same effect.

I tried "using namespace std;". I got a lot of lines saying that such
and such was not a member of std::???

With <iostream.h> or <iostream> or with it in quotes I get the same thing.

stephen@DeskTop ~ $ g++ ~/projects/hello.cpp
/home/stephen/projects/hello.cpp:2:22: fatal error: "iostream": No such
file or directory
compilation terminated.
stephen@DeskTop ~ $

I would really like to learn c++ programing, but I have to fix this so I
can use the book C++ in 21 days.

Thanks in advance

Stephen.

Re: Trying to learn C++

Colin Law
On Thu, 17 Oct 2019 at 21:44, Stephen <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'm trying to learn Cpp programing on Linux Mint 18.3 which is based on
Ubuntu 16.04.

Every time I try to compile a source file that has #include <iostream> I
get a message saying that it can't find iostream. I tried using
iostream.h and it had the same effect.

Does it fail in the same way if you compile a file that includes just one line containing
#include <iostream>

Colin

Re: Trying to learn C++

Volker Wysk
Hi!

Am Donnerstag, den 17.10.2019, 16:41 -0400 schrieb Stephen:
> I'm trying to learn Cpp programing on Linux Mint 18.3 which is based
> on
> Ubuntu 16.04.

That's a wise decision.  :-)

> Every time I try to compile a source file that has #include
> <iostream> I
> get a message saying that it can't find iostream. I tried using
> iostream.h and it had the same effect.
>
> I tried "using namespace std;". I got a lot of lines saying that
> such
> and such was not a member of std::???
>
> With <iostream.h> or <iostream> or with it in quotes I get the same
> thing.
>

> stephen@DeskTop ~ $ g++ ~/projects/hello.cpp
> /home/stephen/projects/hello.cpp:2:22: fatal error: "iostream": No
> such
> file or directory
> compilation terminated.

This looks like the C++ environment isn't installed right. Have you
installed the standard C++ library? This would be the package
"libstdc++-8-dev". When you don't have this, try an earlier version,
such as "libstdc++-7-dev" or "libstdc++-6-dev".

> stephen@DeskTop ~ $
>
> I would really like to learn c++ programing, but I have to fix this
> so I
> can use the book C++ in 21 days.

Good luck!

Volker

Re: Trying to learn C++

Ian Bruntlett
Hi ,

On Thu, 17 Oct 2019 at 21:44, Stephen <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'm trying to learn Cpp programing on Linux Mint 18.3 which is based on
Ubuntu 16.04.

Every time I try to compile a source file that has #include <iostream> I
get a message saying that it can't find iostream. I tried using
iostream.h and it had the same effect.

You'll need the Standard C++ libraries installed. On my computer, the package installed is libstdc++-7-dev
That is specific to g++ version 7. You can find out your g++'s version with this command:-
g++ --version

For future problems, try the ACCU. The ACCU (formerly the Association of C and C++ Users) has a very useful e-mail mailing list called accu-general and the people on that list are friendly and know more about C++ than me.

HTH,

Ian

Re: Trying to learn C++

Ian Bruntlett

On Thu, 17 Oct 2019 at 22:11, Ian Bruntlett <[hidden email]> wrote:
For future problems, try the ACCU. The ACCU (formerly the Association of C and C++ Users) has a very useful e-mail mailing list called accu-general and the people on that list are friendly and know more about C++ than me.

PS. You can get info on how to join accu-general amongst other ACCU mailinng lists here:-

Re: Trying to learn C++

Paul Smith-2
On Thu, 2019-10-17 at 16:41 -0400, Stephen wrote:
> With <iostream.h> or <iostream> or with it in quotes I get the same
> thing.
>
> stephen@DeskTop ~ $ g++ ~/projects/hello.cpp
> /home/stephen/projects/hello.cpp:2:22: fatal error: "iostream": No
> such file or directory
> compilation terminated.
> stephen@DeskTop ~ $

I'm not familiar with Mint since I use Ubuntu, but it would surprise me
if Mint was different in this area than Ubuntu.

The C++ STL headers are prerequisites of the standard compiler package,
so it's also surprising to me that you wouldn't have them since you
have a C++ compiler, unless you installed it via some low-level package
rather than the standard compiler package.

All you should have to do to get a full C++ compiler environment based
on GCC is to run this:

  $ sudo apt install g++

and that should depend on (and thus import) all the other packages you
need to compile C++ code, including the STL headers like iostream.

That's certainly true on my Ubuntu 18.04 system.

Re: Trying to learn C++

Mike Marchywka
On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 05:33:00PM -0400, Paul Smith wrote:

> On Thu, 2019-10-17 at 16:41 -0400, Stephen wrote:
> > With <iostream.h> or <iostream> or with it in quotes I get the same
> > thing.
> >
> > stephen@DeskTop ~ $ g++ ~/projects/hello.cpp
> > /home/stephen/projects/hello.cpp:2:22: fatal error: "iostream": No
> > such file or directory
> > compilation terminated.
> > stephen@DeskTop ~ $
>
> I'm not familiar with Mint since I use Ubuntu, but it would surprise me
> if Mint was different in this area than Ubuntu.
>
> The C++ STL headers are prerequisites of the standard compiler package,
> so it's also surprising to me that you wouldn't have them since you
> have a C++ compiler, unless you installed it via some low-level package
> rather than the standard compiler package.
>
> All you should have to do to get a full C++ compiler environment based
> on GCC is to run this:
>
>   $ sudo apt install g++
>
> and that should depend on (and thus import) all the other packages you
> need to compile C++ code, including the STL headers like iostream.
>
> That's certainly true on my Ubuntu 18.04 system.

I guess it would not hurt to post the whole program and command line.

Also you may want to try google as it will probably not
be the last problem. I was just through this because I wanted to
write a script for something like "vihdr xxx" that would edit the
file xxx on the cpp system include path ( I think I finally gave up
on that though and just went through my defined path  ) and found stuff like this,

https://commandlinefanatic.com/cgi-bin/showarticle.cgi?article=art026

cpp -v < /dev/null
Using built-in specs.
COLLECT_GCC=cpp
Target: x86_64-linux-gnu
Configured with: ../src/configure -v --with-pkgversion='Ubuntu 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.11' --with-bugurl=file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-5/README.Bugs --enable-languages=c,ada,c++,java,go,d,fortran,objc,obj-c++ --prefix=/usr --program-suffix=-5 --enable-shared --enable-linker-build-id --libexecdir=/usr/lib --without-included-gettext --enable-threads=posix --libdir=/usr/lib --enable-nls --with-sysroot=/ --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-libstdcxx-debug --enable-libstdcxx-time=yes --with-default-libstdcxx-abi=new --enable-gnu-unique-object --disable-vtable-verify --enable-libmpx --enable-plugin --with-system-zlib --disable-browser-plugin --enable-java-awt=gtk --enable-gtk-cairo --with-java-home=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-gcj-5-amd64/jre --enable-java-home --with-jvm-root-dir=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-gcj-5-amd64 --with-jvm-jar-dir=/usr/lib/jvm-exports/java-1.5.0-gcj-5-amd64 --with-arch-directory=amd64 --with-ecj-jar=/usr/share/java/eclipse-ecj.jar --enable-objc-gc --enable-multiarch --disable-werror --with-arch-32=i686 --with-abi=m64 --with-multilib-list=m32,m64,mx32 --enable-multilib --with-tune=generic --enable-checking=release --build=x86_64-linux-gnu --host=x86_64-linux-gnu --target=x86_64-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix
gcc version 5.4.0 20160609 (Ubuntu 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.11)
COLLECT_GCC_OPTIONS='-E' '-v' '-mtune=generic' '-march=x86-64'
 /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/5/cc1 -E -quiet -v -imultiarch x86_64-linux-gnu - -mtune=generic -march=x86-64 -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Wformat-security
ignoring nonexistent directory "/usr/local/include/x86_64-linux-gnu"
ignoring nonexistent directory "/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/5/../../../../x86_64-linux-gnu/include"
#include "..." search starts here:
#include <...> search starts here:
 /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/5/include
 /usr/local/include
 /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/5/include-fixed
 /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu
 /usr/include
End of search list.
# 1 "<stdin>"
# 1 "<built-in>"
# 1 "<command-line>"
# 1 "/usr/include/stdc-predef.h" 1 3 4
# 1 "<command-line>" 2
# 1 "<stdin>"
COMPILER_PATH=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/5/:/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/5/:/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/:/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/5/:/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/
LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/5/:/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/5/../../../x86_64-linux-gnu/:/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/5/../../../../lib/:/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/:/lib/../lib/:/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/:/usr/lib/../lib/:/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/5/../../../:/lib/:/usr/lib/
COLLECT_GCC_OPTIONS='-E' '-v' '-mtune=generic' '-march=x86-64'

mike marchywka
306 charles cox
canton GA 30115
USA, Earth
[hidden email]
404-788-1216
ORCID: 0000-0001-9237-455X

Re: Trying to learn C++

Stephen

No it doesn't. I removed the lines in main() and left the brackets, and it compiled successfully.

I added the rest of the hello world program in and it compiled properly. I'm at a loss for why, but I want to thank every one who replied to help me

Stephen.

I have sent a request to the C++ list that was recommended.

Re: Trying to learn C++

Robert Heller
At Thu, 17 Oct 2019 16:41:49 -0400 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm trying to learn Cpp programing on Linux Mint 18.3 which is based on
> Ubuntu 16.04.
>
> Every time I try to compile a source file that has #include <iostream> I
> get a message saying that it can't find iostream. I tried using
> iostream.h and it had the same effect.

You probably need the -dev package installed (probably many -dev packages
installed).  Most (typical) Desktop Linux distros don't install all of those
packages, since most users are only going to be reading E-Mail, surfing the
web, and writing documents (eg use LibreOffice).

For <iostream> you want libstdc++-dev.  You will also need libc-dev.  And
likely others (eventually).

Open a termina and type:

sudo apt-get install libstdc++-dev libc6-dev

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933

Re: Trying to learn C++

Stan-18
On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 04:41:49PM -0400, Stephen wrote:

> I'm trying to learn Cpp programing on Linux Mint 18.3 which is based on
> Ubuntu 16.04.
>
> Every time I try to compile a source file that has #include <iostream> I get
> a message saying that it can't find iostream. I tried using iostream.h and
> it had the same effect.
>
> I tried "using namespace std;". I got a lot of lines saying that such and
> such was not a member of std::???
>
> With <iostream.h> or <iostream> or with it in quotes I get the same thing.
>

> stephen@DeskTop ~ $ g++ ~/projects/hello.cpp
> /home/stephen/projects/hello.cpp:2:22: fatal error: "iostream": No such file
> or directory
> compilation terminated.
> stephen@DeskTop ~ $
>
> I would really like to learn c++ programing, but I have to fix this so I can
> use the book C++ in 21 days.
>
> Thanks in advance

Do you have the develoment packages isntalled/
neither liberty nor safety."
                                                -- Benjamin Franklin