Ubuntu laptop

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Ubuntu laptop

andres
El 7 de abril de 2016 19:03:11 GMT+01:00, [hidden email] escribió:

>Send ubuntu-uk mailing list submissions to
> [hidden email]
>
>To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-uk
>or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> [hidden email]
>
>You can reach the person managing the list at
> [hidden email]
>
>When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
>than "Re: Contents of ubuntu-uk digest..."
>
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>Today's Topics:
>
>   1.  Ubuntu laptop (Jim Price)
>   2. Re:  Ubuntu laptop (Tony Pursell)
>   3. Re:  Ubuntu laptop (Jim Price)
>   4. Re:  Ubuntu laptop (Tony Pursell)
>   5. Re:  Ubuntu laptop (Wechsel Wirkung)
>   6. Re:  Ubuntu laptop (James Morrissey)
>
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>De: Jim Price <[hidden email]>
>Para: [hidden email]
>Enviado: Thu Apr 07 16:26:18 GMT+01:00 2016
>Asunto: [ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu laptop
>
>Does anyone know of a supplier of Ubuntu laptops who would accept
>payment by cheque? I'm told eBuyer don't for this one:
>
>http://www.ebuyer.com/705955-hp-455-quad-core-laptop-l8b56es
>
>Any alternatives in a similar price range (£200 after trade-in for this
>
>one) would be appreciated too.
>
>JimP
>
>
>
>
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>De: Tony Pursell <[hidden email]>
>Para: UK Ubuntu Talk <[hidden email]>
>Enviado: Thu Apr 07 17:31:31 GMT+01:00 2016
>Asunto: Re: [ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu laptop
>
>Hi Jim
>
>I wouldn't by that one as one comment say it comes with 12.04 (which is
>out
>of support) and you can't easily update it because of the driver for
>the
>Realtek wifi card.
>
>I would go for any other computer that will run 14.04 or 16.04 out of
>the
>box, whether or not I had to overwrite the Windows on it.  You don't
>save
>much money by going for one with Ubuntu on it.
>
>Tony
>
>On 7 April 2016 at 16:26, Jim Price <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know of a supplier of Ubuntu laptops who would accept
>payment
>> by cheque? I'm told eBuyer don't for this one:
>>
>> http://www.ebuyer.com/705955-hp-455-quad-core-laptop-l8b56es
>>
>> Any alternatives in a similar price range (£200 after trade-in for
>this
>> one) would be appreciated too.
>>
>> JimP
>>
>>
>> --
>> [hidden email]
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-uk
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UKTeam/
>>
>
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>De: Jim Price <[hidden email]>
>Para: [hidden email]
>Enviado: Thu Apr 07 17:39:51 GMT+01:00 2016
>Asunto: Re: [ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu laptop
>
>Hi Tony,
>
>I'm still using 12.04 - I thought it was supported for 5 years, so
>there's another year to go. Also, I would expect a machine which runs
>12.04 would manage 16.04 without too much trouble, and might be cheaper
>
>as it has an older OS on it. There's not much else around at the £200
>mark.
>
>Jim
>
>On 07/04/16 17:31, Tony Pursell wrote:
>> Hi Jim
>>
>> I wouldn't by that one as one comment say it comes with 12.04 (which
>is out
>> of support) and you can't easily update it because of the driver for
>the
>> Realtek wifi card.
>>
>> I would go for any other computer that will run 14.04 or 16.04 out of
>the
>> box, whether or not I had to overwrite the Windows on it.  You don't
>save
>> much money by going for one with Ubuntu on it.
>>
>> Tony
>>
>> On 7 April 2016 at 16:26, Jim Price <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone know of a supplier of Ubuntu laptops who would accept
>payment
>>> by cheque? I'm told eBuyer don't for this one:
>>>
>>> http://www.ebuyer.com/705955-hp-455-quad-core-laptop-l8b56es
>>>
>>> Any alternatives in a similar price range (£200 after trade-in for
>this
>>> one) would be appreciated too.
>>>
>>> JimP
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> [hidden email]
>>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-uk
>>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UKTeam/
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>De: Tony Pursell <[hidden email]>
>Para: UK Ubuntu Talk <[hidden email]>
>Enviado: Thu Apr 07 17:47:06 GMT+01:00 2016
>Asunto: Re: [ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu laptop
>
>Sorry, you are right, it's good for another year.  But there is still
>the
>issue with the wifi.
>
>On 7 April 2016 at 17:39, Jim Price <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Tony,
>>
>> I'm still using 12.04 - I thought it was supported for 5 years, so
>there's
>> another year to go. Also, I would expect a machine which runs 12.04
>would
>> manage 16.04 without too much trouble, and might be cheaper as it has
>an
>> older OS on it. There's not much else around at the £200 mark.
>>
>> Jim
>>
>>
>> On 07/04/16 17:31, Tony Pursell wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Jim
>>>
>>> I wouldn't by that one as one comment say it comes with 12.04 (which
>is
>>> out
>>> of support) and you can't easily update it because of the driver for
>the
>>> Realtek wifi card.
>>>
>>> I would go for any other computer that will run 14.04 or 16.04 out
>of the
>>> box, whether or not I had to overwrite the Windows on it.  You don't
>save
>>> much money by going for one with Ubuntu on it.
>>>
>>> Tony
>>>
>>> On 7 April 2016 at 16:26, Jim Price <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Does anyone know of a supplier of Ubuntu laptops who would accept
>payment
>>>> by cheque? I'm told eBuyer don't for this one:
>>>>
>>>> http://www.ebuyer.com/705955-hp-455-quad-core-laptop-l8b56es
>>>>
>>>> Any alternatives in a similar price range (£200 after trade-in for
>this
>>>> one) would be appreciated too.
>>>>
>>>> JimP
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> [hidden email]
>>>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-uk
>>>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UKTeam/
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> [hidden email]
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-uk
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UKTeam/
>>
>
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>De: Wechsel Wirkung <[hidden email]>
>Para: UK Ubuntu Talk <[hidden email]>
>Enviado: Thu Apr 07 17:49:54 GMT+01:00 2016
>Asunto: Re: [ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu laptop
>
>Hi Jim,
>
>just buy one laptop without an os maybe. I buyed on notebooksbilliger
>just an
>acer for 500 euro and
>
>installed just ubuntu by myself and i dont use ubuntu so long. its
>much cheaper
>and easy
>
>>
>>     Jim Price <[hidden email]> hat am 7. April 2016 um 18:39
>> geschrieben:
>>
>>
>>     Hi Tony,
>>
>>     I'm still using 12.04 - I thought it was supported for 5 years,
>so
>>     there's another year to go. Also, I would expect a machine which
>runs
>>     12.04 would manage 16.04 without too much trouble, and might be
>cheaper
>>     as it has an older OS on it. There's not much else around at the
>£200
>> mark.
>>
>>     Jim
>>
>>     On 07/04/16 17:31, Tony Pursell wrote:
>>
>>         > >
>> >         Hi Jim
>> >
>> >         I wouldn't by that one as one comment say it comes with
>12.04 (which
>> > is out
>> >         of support) and you can't easily update it because of the
>driver for
>> > the
>> >         Realtek wifi card.
>> >
>> >         I would go for any other computer that will run 14.04 or
>16.04 out
>> > of the
>> >         box, whether or not I had to overwrite the Windows on it.
>You don't
>> > save
>> >         much money by going for one with Ubuntu on it.
>> >
>> >         Tony
>> >
>> >         On 7 April 2016 at 16:26, Jim Price <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>> >
>> >     >
>>     >> Does anyone know of a supplier of Ubuntu laptops who would
>accept
>>     >> payment>> by cheque? I'm told eBuyer don't for this one:
>>     >>
>>     >> http://www.ebuyer.com/705955-hp-455-quad-core-laptop-l8b56es
>>     >>
>>     >> Any alternatives in a similar price range (£200 after trade-in
>for this
>>     >> one) would be appreciated too.
>>     >>
>>     >> JimP
>>     >>
>>     >>
>>     >> --
>>     >> [hidden email]
>>     >> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-uk
>>     >> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UKTeam/
>>     >>
>>
>>         > >
>> >          
>> >
>> >     >
>>
>>
>>     --
>>     [hidden email]
>>     https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-uk
>>     https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UKTeam/
>>
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>De: James Morrissey <[hidden email]>
>Para: Wechsel Wirkung <[hidden email]>, UK Ubuntu Talk
><[hidden email]>
>Enviado: Thu Apr 07 19:02:46 GMT+01:00 2016
>Asunto: Re: [ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu laptop
>
>In the vein of buying a laptop without an OS, The 'going linux' podcast
>from last week featured someone talking about how he had bought a t420
>and
>got the specs up to the point that it beats out a new macbook pro.
>
>http://ia801501.us.archive.org/25/items/glp295/glp295.mp3
>
>It seems you can do it for about $500:
>http://www.pcliquidations.com/p24202-lenovo-thinkpad-t420-4236?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=24202&r160164167166161&gclid=Cj0KEQjwipi4BRD7t6zGl6m75IgBEiQAn7CfF1x3S52kwTA04y3NxyHEcO1sN8yU4JG8TzmO89J_aawaAmhq8P8HAQ
>
>Add a solid state drive, extra HDD in the media slot and some RAM and
>you
>should be close to $500. You could keep the price a little lower if you
>forewent on some of those specs.
>
>Warning: in the podcast he favours Kali and Elementary, and complains
>that
>Unity is a bit too slow.
>
>j
>
>On 7 April 2016 at 12:49, Wechsel Wirkung <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>
>> Hi Jim,
>>
>> just buy one laptop without an os maybe. I buyed on notebooksbilliger
>just
>> an acer for 500 euro and
>>
>> installed just ubuntu by myself and i dont use ubuntu so long. its
>much
>> cheaper and easy
>>
>> Jim Price <[hidden email]> hat am 7. April 2016 um 18:39
>> geschrieben:
>>
>>
>>
>> Hi Tony,
>>
>> I'm still using 12.04 - I thought it was supported for 5 years, so
>> there's another year to go. Also, I would expect a machine which runs
>> 12.04 would manage 16.04 without too much trouble, and might be
>cheaper
>> as it has an older OS on it. There's not much else around at the £200
>mark.
>>
>> Jim
>>
>> On 07/04/16 17:31, Tony Pursell wrote:
>>
>> Hi Jim
>>
>> I wouldn't by that one as one comment say it comes with 12.04 (which
>is out
>> of support) and you can't easily update it because of the driver for
>the
>> Realtek wifi card.
>>
>> I would go for any other computer that will run 14.04 or 16.04 out of
>the
>> box, whether or not I had to overwrite the Windows on it. You don't
>save
>> much money by going for one with Ubuntu on it.
>>
>> Tony
>>
>> On 7 April 2016 at 16:26, Jim Price <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> >> Does anyone know of a supplier of Ubuntu laptops who would accept
>> payment>> by cheque? I'm told eBuyer don't for this one:
>> >>
>> >> http://www.ebuyer.com/705955-hp-455-quad-core-laptop-l8b56es
>> >>
>> >> Any alternatives in a similar price range (£200 after trade-in for
>this
>> >> one) would be appreciated too.
>> >>
>> >> JimP
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> --
>> >> [hidden email]
>> >> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-uk
>> >> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UKTeam/
>> >>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> [hidden email]
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-uk
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UKTeam/
>>
>>
>> --
>> [hidden email]
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-uk
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UKTeam/
>>
>>

https://minifree.org/

They use a free Ubuntu derivative (trisquel) so no problem with drivers. (nor windows tax). As per paying by check I am sure they accept it (looking at their thoughts on paypal).

Do ask, they are a small UK based company and are quick to respond. good luck!


-- --
Andres (he/him/his)
Ham United Group
Richmond Makerlabs

--
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-uk
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UKTeam/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ubuntu laptop

Jim Price-4
On 08/04/16 08:15, amunizp wrote:

> https://minifree.org/
>
> They use a free Ubuntu derivative (trisquel) so no problem with drivers. (nor windows tax). As per paying by check I am sure they accept it (looking at their thoughts on paypal).
>
> Do ask, they are a small UK based company and are quick to respond. good luck!

Thanks for that. I'll look into it.

Jim



--
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-uk
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UKTeam/