Ubuntu logo "deviations" - political use of the Ubuntu Logo

Ubuntu logo "deviations" - political use of the Ubuntu Logo

yann-3
The Ubuntu logo is becoming more and more misused for political goals,
like in http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=37241 (which
is a 1st April Joke) and in
http://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/img/avatars/9743.jpg , which is avatar of
someone called "urss" (=ussr) on our french forum (which isn't).

I don't really know what to do about this; should we let people do what
they want with the logo? I personnally don't like the association of
Ubuntu with communism, as with any other politic system in fact.
Do other locoteams have the same problem? Is there an official position
of Canonical?

Yann Hamon - Ubuntu-fr

Re: Ubuntu logo "deviations" - political use of the Ubuntu Logo

Christer Edwards
On 4/1/06, yann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The Ubuntu logo is becoming more and more misused for political goals,
> like in http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=37241 (which
> is a 1st April Joke) and in
> http://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/img/avatars/9743.jpg , which is avatar of
> someone called "urss" (=ussr) on our french forum (which isn't).
>
> I don't really know what to do about this; should we let people do what
> they want with the logo? I personnally don't like the association of
> Ubuntu with communism, as with any other politic system in fact.
> Do other locoteams have the same problem? Is there an official position
> of Canonical?
>
> Yann Hamon - Ubuntu-fr
As far as I understand there are trademark policies concerning the use
of the logo.  You can see more details here
http://www.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/TrademarkPolicy.

I agree that combining the logo with political organizations is not a
good idea.  I don't know who should contact those people, but it
shouldn't be something that is done.  They seem to be in violation of
the policy from what I can read.

Christer

--
Christer Edwards
http://ubuntu-utah.org

Re: Ubuntu logo "deviations" - political use of the Ubuntu Logo

Lionel Dricot (aka Ploum)
IMHO, there's no big problem with this. It's not legal but, in this
case, in just a tiny drop in the ocean. Look at the incredible number
of Coca-cola deviations or Microsoft deviations !

It's the proof that the logo is good and more widely recognized ;-)

Lionel Dricot wrote:
> IMHO, there's no big problem with this. It's not legal but, in this
> case, in just a tiny drop in the ocean. Look at the incredible number
> of Coca-cola deviations or Microsoft deviations !
>
> It's the proof that the logo is good and more widely recognized ;-)

It's true that, in a way, deviations also means wide adoption of the
logo. I'd say, political deviations may be a little different; for
example I truly hope never to have someone with that avatar on our
forum: http://isfates.mandragor.org/toto/ufr/logoubuntu.png (french
radicals)... because I won't be able to justify why this is not allowed,
whereas the other one is.

Well, wait & let's see ? :)

Yann

Re: Ubuntu logo "deviations" - political use of the Ubuntu Logo

Lionel Dricot (aka Ploum)
> Well, wait & let's see ? :)

I suggest that. (as I'm also an Ubuntu-fr regular user ;-) ). If it
causes any trouble, simply add a rule : "no policital related avatar"
but, wait for troubles first.

I'm pretty sure that nobody cares so much.

Don't worry, be happy ! :-D