Ubuntu on the M1 chip

Matthias Klose-6
Santa visited early, brought a Mac Mini, and Parallels provided a first preview
of Parallels Desktop for Mac M1 yesterday.

gcc-10 build and test time is 3:10h with eight cores (38h on LP, although this
is using four cores).  Julian had a small apt build benchmark, which is 11.6 sec
on the M1 (-j 8), 42sec on a Lenovo first-gen X1e (6 cores, -j12), 8.4sec on a
Ryzen 3970x (limited to -j 8).

Installed Ubuntu 20.10 server (couldn't find an arm64 desktop iso, are we only
shipping Pi images?). Some notes:

- You can only configure 8GB RAM for the VM (the machine has 16GB).

- IPv6 doesn't work with a bridged network. Likely a Parallels
  bug. Just disable it.

- You can't run ARM32 binaries. I don't know if that's a
  limitation of Parallels or the M1 chip.

Merry XMas, Matthias

Re: Ubuntu on the M1 chip

Neal McBurnett
Thanks - good to know.

From what I've heard, the M1 has some very nice CPU / GPU unified memory integration, an intriguing mix of four high-performance Firestorm and four energy-efficient Icestorm cores, and claims of the world's best CPU performance per watt

   Apple M1 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_M1

Is there any update on the prospects for native Linux on the M1, after this article from the end of November?

Linus Torvalds doubts Linux will get ported to Apple M1 hardware | Ars Technica
 https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/11/__trashed-6/

Cheers,

Neal McBurnett                 http://neal.mcburnett.org/

On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 09:16:51PM +0100, Matthias Klose wrote:

> Santa visited early, brought a Mac Mini, and Parallels provided a first preview
> of Parallels Desktop for Mac M1 yesterday.
>
> gcc-10 build and test time is 3:10h with eight cores (38h on LP, although this
> is using four cores).  Julian had a small apt build benchmark, which is 11.6 sec
> on the M1 (-j 8), 42sec on a Lenovo first-gen X1e (6 cores, -j12), 8.4sec on a
> Ryzen 3970x (limited to -j 8).
>
> Installed Ubuntu 20.10 server (couldn't find an arm64 desktop iso, are we only
> shipping Pi images?). Some notes:
>
> - You can only configure 8GB RAM for the VM (the machine has 16GB).
>
> - IPv6 doesn't work with a bridged network. Likely a Parallels
>   bug. Just disable it.
>
> - You can't run ARM32 binaries. I don't know if that's a
>   limitation of Parallels or the M1 chip.
>
> Merry XMas, Matthias

Re: Ubuntu on the M1 chip

Mark Shuttleworth-2
On 18/12/2020 20:16, Matthias Klose wrote:
> Installed Ubuntu 20.10 server (couldn't find an arm64 desktop iso, are we only
> shipping Pi images?).

Something tells me that will have to change :)

Mark

Re: Ubuntu on the M1 chip

Dmitry Shachnev-2
On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 03:54:04PM -0700, Neal McBurnett wrote:
> Is there any update on the prospects for native Linux on the M1, after
> this article from the end of November?
>
> Linus Torvalds doubts Linux will get ported to Apple M1 hardware | Ars Technica
>  https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/11/__trashed-6/

Here is someone who started crowdfunding for porting Linux to M1 and already
reached the kick-off goal:

https://www.patreon.com/marcan
https://twitter.com/marcan42

--
Dmitry Shachnev

Re: Ubuntu on the M1 chip

Paul Sladen-2
On Sat, 19 Dec 2020, Dmitry Shachnev wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 03:54:04PM -0700, Neal McBurnett wrote:
> > Is there any update on the prospects for native Linux on the M1,
> > Linus Torvalds doubts Linux will get ported to Apple M1 hardware
> Here is someone who started crowdfunding for porting Linux to M1 ...
> https://www.patreon.com/marcan
> https://twitter.com/marcan42

Not just 'anyone'... ;-)

        -Paul

Re: Ubuntu on the M1 chip

Iain Lane-6
On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 09:16:51PM +0100, Matthias Klose wrote:
> Installed Ubuntu 20.10 server (couldn't find an arm64 desktop iso, are
> we only shipping Pi images?)

There are daily builds:

https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/focal/daily-live/pending/
https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/

but not released ones, not yet anyway. They've not been QAed enough so
far. Hopefully they at least boot and install :-).

Iain Lane                                  [ [hidden email] ]
Debian Developer                                   [ [hidden email] ]
Ubuntu Developer                                   [ [hidden email] ]