Ubuntu server holding back on me

Kevin O'Gorman
I've just started using Ubuntu Server on a couple of extra machines.  I'm a bit puzzled about the situation I see there with respect to updates.

When I log in remotely, I see

Welcome to Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS (GNU/Linux 4.4.0-62-generic x86_64)

 * Documentation:  https://help.ubuntu.com
 * Management:     https://landscape.canonical.com
 * Support:        https://ubuntu.com/advantage

7 packages can be updated.
7 updates are security updates.

Last login: Thu Sep 21 11:31:12 2017

But when I try to get the indicated updates, I see:
root@gog:~# apt-get update
Hit:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial InRelease
Hit:2 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates InRelease
Hit:3 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security InRelease
Hit:4 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-backports InRelease
Reading package lists... Done
root@gog:~# apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
  linux-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.

And indeed the kernel is at 4.4.0-62, while my non-server installs are at 4.4.0-96.  Is the holdback related to the "InRelease" status?

Is there any reason I should not get an upgraded kernel, and if so, how do I do that.

--
Kevin O'Gorman
#define QUESTION ((bb) || (!bb))   /* Shakespeare */

Re: Ubuntu server holding back on me

Colin Law
On 21 September 2017 at 21:02, Kevin O'Gorman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> But when I try to get the indicated updates, I see:
> root@gog:~# apt-get update
> Hit:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial InRelease
> Hit:2 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates InRelease
> Hit:3 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security InRelease
> Hit:4 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-backports InRelease
> Reading package lists... Done
> root@gog:~# apt-get upgrade
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Calculating upgrade... Done
> The following packages have been kept back:
>   linux-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
>
> And indeed the kernel is at 4.4.0-62, while my non-server installs are at 4.4.0-96.  Is the holdback related to the "InRelease" status?
>
> Is there any reason I should not get an upgraded kernel, and if so, how do I do that.

You should use
apt-get dist-upgrade
or in fact the utility that supersedes aptget
apt full-upgrade

which not only upgrades existing packages but installs any new ones required.

Colin

Re: Ubuntu server holding back on me

Kevin O'Gorman
As I understand it, dist-upgrade takes me to the latest release.  I don't want that.  I stay at LTS releases on purpose.  All I want really are security updates until the next LTS rolls out.

On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 1:14 PM, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 21 September 2017 at 21:02, Kevin O'Gorman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> But when I try to get the indicated updates, I see:
> root@gog:~# apt-get update
> Hit:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial InRelease
> Hit:2 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates InRelease
> Hit:3 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security InRelease
> Hit:4 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-backports InRelease
> Reading package lists... Done
> root@gog:~# apt-get upgrade
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Calculating upgrade... Done
> The following packages have been kept back:
>   linux-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
>
> And indeed the kernel is at 4.4.0-62, while my non-server installs are at 4.4.0-96.  Is the holdback related to the "InRelease" status?
>
> Is there any reason I should not get an upgraded kernel, and if so, how do I do that.

You should use
apt-get dist-upgrade
or in fact the utility that supersedes aptget
apt full-upgrade

which not only upgrades existing packages but installs any new ones required.

Colin

Kevin O'Gorman
#define QUESTION ((bb) || (!bb))   /* Shakespeare */

Re: Ubuntu server holding back on me

Kevin O'Gorman
I really just want to know why the disconnect between what login says and what APT says.

On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 1:29 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <[hidden email]> wrote:
As I understand it, dist-upgrade takes me to the latest release.  I don't want that.  I stay at LTS releases on purpose.  All I want really are security updates until the next LTS rolls out.

On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 1:14 PM, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 21 September 2017 at 21:02, Kevin O'Gorman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> But when I try to get the indicated updates, I see:
> root@gog:~# apt-get update
> Hit:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial InRelease
> Hit:2 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates InRelease
> Hit:3 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security InRelease
> Hit:4 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-backports InRelease
> Reading package lists... Done
> root@gog:~# apt-get upgrade
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Calculating upgrade... Done
> The following packages have been kept back:
>   linux-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
>
> And indeed the kernel is at 4.4.0-62, while my non-server installs are at 4.4.0-96.  Is the holdback related to the "InRelease" status?
>
> Is there any reason I should not get an upgraded kernel, and if so, how do I do that.

You should use
apt-get dist-upgrade
or in fact the utility that supersedes aptget
apt full-upgrade

which not only upgrades existing packages but installs any new ones required.

Colin

Kevin O'Gorman
#define QUESTION ((bb) || (!bb))   /* Shakespeare */

Kevin O'Gorman
#define QUESTION ((bb) || (!bb))   /* Shakespeare */

Re: Ubuntu server holding back on me

Paul Smith-2
On Thu, 2017-09-21 at 13:29 -0700, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> As I understand it, dist-upgrade takes me to the latest release.

That's definitely NOT the case.  Only something like "do-release-
upgrade" will upgrade you to a new release.

The difference between "upgrade" and "dist-upgrade" is that the former
will only upgrade packages you already have on your system.  If any
upgrade requires new packages to be installed, that upgrade won't be
performed.  "dist-upgrade" will upgrade all packages on your system
even if that requires extra packages to be installed.

Neither command will ever change the Ubuntu major release you are
running.

On 21 September 2017 at 21:29, Kevin O'Gorman <[hidden email]> wrote:
As I understand it, dist-upgrade takes me to the latest release.  I don't want that.  I stay at LTS releases on purpose.  All I want really are security updates until the next LTS rolls out.

You misunderstand, dist-upgrade does not upgrade the release, that is distribution-upgrade or something similar). apt-get upgrade will install upgrades to existing installed packages when possible but will not install new required packages. This can prevent the upgrade of some existing packages, which is what you are seeing. I can virtually guarantee that dist-upgrade is what you want.

Look at the docs for apt-get to convince yourself.

Colin

Compdoc@hotrodpc.com

On 09/21/2017 02:29 PM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

As I understand it, dist-upgrade takes me to the latest release.  I don't want that.  I stay at LTS releases on purpose.  All I want really are security updates until the next LTS rolls out.

No, I think the command to upgrade releases is some like 'do-release-upgrade'.

If you use 14.04 use these commands:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

with 16.04, use:

sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade

That installs any new kernels, and everything that can be upgraded.

Re: Ubuntu server holding back on me

J Doe-2

> On Sep 21, 2017, at 4:45 PM, compdoc <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> with 16.04, use:
>
> sudo apt update
> sudo apt full-upgrade
>
> That installs any new kernels, and everything that can be upgraded.

Hi,

You can also use Aptitude for security and kernel updates:

sudo apt install aptitude

sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude safe-upgrade

- J

Re: Ubuntu server holding back on me

Colin Watson
On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 01:29:12PM -0700, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> As I understand it, dist-upgrade takes me to the latest release.

Other people have already explained that this is not in fact the case.

To explain the naming a bit more: "dist-upgrade" is called that because
it was a thing that you would particularly need to use when upgrading
between releases of the distribution, even though all it ever
technically meant was "upgrade, but it's OK to install new packages or
to remove currently-installed packages".  Over the years it became clear
that this was misleading naming, which is why the new apt(8) tool
prefers the clearer "full-upgrade" spelling.

In fact, apt(8) makes one further change here when compared to
apt-get(8): "apt upgrade" will install new packages when required, but
won't remove currently-installed packages, while "apt full-upgrade" will
do both.  So simply writing "apt upgrade" would do the job in this case
too.

Re: Ubuntu server holding back on me

Robert Heller
At Thu, 21 Sep 2017 13:02:10 -0700 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've just started using Ubuntu Server on a couple of extra machines.  I'm a
> bit puzzled about the situation I see there with respect to updates.
>
> When I log in remotely, I see
>
> Welcome to Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS (GNU/Linux 4.4.0-62-generic x86_64)
>
>  * Documentation:  https://help.ubuntu.com
>  * Management:     https://landscape.canonical.com
>  * Support:        https://ubuntu.com/advantage
>
> 7 packages can be updated.
> 7 updates are security updates.
>

> Last login: Thu Sep 21 11:31:12 2017
>
> But when I try to get the indicated updates, I see:
> root@gog:~# apt-get update
> Hit:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial InRelease
> Hit:2 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates InRelease
> Hit:3 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security InRelease
> Hit:4 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-backports InRelease
> Reading package lists... Done
> root@gog:~# apt-get upgrade

Try:

apt-get dist-upgrade

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933

At Thu, 21 Sep 2017 13:29:12 -0700 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As I understand it, dist-upgrade takes me to the latest release.  I don't
> want that.  I stay at LTS releases on purpose.  All I want really are
> security updates until the next LTS rolls out.

You are confused. dist-upgrade keeps you at the current LTS (eg if you are at
14.04, you stay there [it will upgrade from 14.04.n to 14.04.n+1, but that is
still same LTS release]). dist-upgrade adds in new installs. One *never*
upgrades the kernel, one *always* "installs" a new kernel (and then you use
apt-get autoremove to remove older kernels). There is a *different* command to
jump to the next LTS (eg from 14.04 to 16.04, or eventually to 18.04 when it
is out, etc.).

RedHat's 'yum upgrade' is so much less confusing than Debian's apt-get/apt...
Sigh...

> On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 1:14 PM, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On 21 September 2017 at 21:02, Kevin O'Gorman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > But when I try to get the indicated updates, I see:
> > > root@gog:~# apt-get update
> > > Hit:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial InRelease
> > > Hit:2 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates InRelease
> > > Hit:3 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security InRelease
> > > Hit:4 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-backports InRelease
> > > Reading package lists... Done
> > > root@gog:~# apt-get upgrade
> > > Reading package lists... Done
> > > Building dependency tree
> > > Reading state information... Done
> > > Calculating upgrade... Done
> > > The following packages have been kept back:
> > >   linux-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic
> > > 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
> > >
> > > And indeed the kernel is at 4.4.0-62, while my non-server installs are
> > at 4.4.0-96.  Is the holdback related to the "InRelease" status?
> > >
> > > Is there any reason I should not get an upgraded kernel, and if so, how
> > do I do that.
> >
> > You should use
> > apt-get dist-upgrade
> > or in fact the utility that supersedes aptget
> > apt full-upgrade
> >
> > which not only upgrades existing packages but installs any new ones
> > required.
> >
> > Colin
> >
> > --

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933

Re: Ubuntu server holding back on me

Ralf Mardorf-2
On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 13:29:12 -0700, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>As I understand it, dist-upgrade takes me to the latest release.

Hi,

other subscribers already explained that you are mistaken. However, I
wonder how you could (mis)understand that a "dist-upgrade" would
upgrade to the next Ubuntu release, let alone that the term
"full-upgrade" should be clear.

Nowhere the man pages mention an upgrade to the next Ubuntu release.

[root@moonstudio ~]# lsb_release -dc;echo apt;man apt|grep upgrade\ \( -A3|head -7;echo apt-get;man apt-get|grep upgrade -A3|head -20|tail -12
Codename: xenial
apt
       upgrade (apt-get(8))
           upgrade is used to install available upgrades of all packages currently installed on the system from the sources configured via sources.list(5). New packages will be
           installed if required to statisfy dependencies, but existing packages will never be removed. If an upgrade for a package requires the remove of an installed package the
           upgrade for this package isn't performed.
--
       full-upgrade (apt-get(8))
           full-upgrade performs the function of upgrade but will remove currently installed packages if this is needed to upgrade the system as a whole.

       dist-upgrade
           dist-upgrade in addition to performing the function of upgrade, also intelligently handles changing dependencies with new versions of packages; apt-get has a "smart" conflict
           resolution system, and it will attempt to upgrade the most important packages at the expense of less important ones if necessary. The dist-upgrade command may therefore
           remove some packages. The /etc/apt/sources.list file contains a list of locations from which to retrieve desired package files. See also apt_preferences(5) for a mechanism
           for overriding the general settings for individual packages.

Sure, instead of doing a release upgrade by "do-release-upgrade",
https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide/installing-upgrading.html you
could use dist-upgrade, after manually replacing the repositories.

On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 13:30:51 -0700, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>I really just want to know why the disconnect between what login says
>and what APT says.

What are you talking about? What does "login" say?

Regards,
Ralf

On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 13:02:10 -0700, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>The following packages have been kept back:
>  linux-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic

For example take a look at the dependency chain of the package
"linux-image-generic",
https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial-updates/linux-image-generic .

One of the dependencies is the package "linux-image-4.4.0-96-generic".
This means that there is the need to remove a package named
                                       "linux-image-x.y.p-q-generic",
to upgrade the meta package "linux-image-generic".

Actually you could install "linux-image-4.4.0-96-generic" without
removing "linux-image-x.y.p-q-generic", but as already pointed out, you
cannot upgrade "linux-image-generic" without removing
"linux-image-x.y.p-q-generic".

"linux-image-x.y.p-q-generic" is for any other version but
"linux-image-4.4.0-96-generic", e.g.
"linux-image-1.2.3-4-generic"

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 07:03:47 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

>On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 13:02:10 -0700, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>>The following packages have been kept back:
>>  linux-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic
>
>For example take a look at the dependency chain of the package
>"linux-image-generic",
>https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial-updates/linux-image-generic .
>
>One of the dependencies is the package "linux-image-4.4.0-96-generic".
>This means that there is the need to remove a package named
>                                       "linux-image-x.y.p-q-generic",
>to upgrade the meta package "linux-image-generic".
>
>Actually you could install "linux-image-4.4.0-96-generic" without
>removing "linux-image-x.y.p-q-generic", but as already pointed out, you
>cannot upgrade "linux-image-generic" without removing
>"linux-image-x.y.p-q-generic".
>
>"linux-image-x.y.p-q-generic" is for any other version but
>"linux-image-4.4.0-96-generic", e.g.
>"linux-image-1.2.3-4-generic"

Oops, I'm mistake :D. It's too early in the morning :D. Since the
dependency could be installed, also the meta-package could be
installed ;). At the moment I don't have an idea what kept back the
packages.

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 07:22:10 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

>On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 07:03:47 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>>On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 13:02:10 -0700, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>>>The following packages have been kept back:
>>>  linux-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic
>>
>>For example take a look at the dependency chain of the package
>>"linux-image-generic",
>>https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial-updates/linux-image-generic .
>>
>>One of the dependencies is the package "linux-image-4.4.0-96-generic".
>>This means that there is the need to remove a package named
>>                                       "linux-image-x.y.p-q-generic",
>>to upgrade the meta package "linux-image-generic".
>>
>>Actually you could install "linux-image-4.4.0-96-generic" without
>>removing "linux-image-x.y.p-q-generic", but as already pointed out,
>>you cannot upgrade "linux-image-generic" without removing
>>"linux-image-x.y.p-q-generic".
>>
>>"linux-image-x.y.p-q-generic" is for any other version but
>>"linux-image-4.4.0-96-generic", e.g.
>>"linux-image-1.2.3-4-generic"
>
>Oops, I'm mistake :D. It's too early in the morning :D. Since the
>dependency could be installed, also the meta-package could be
>installed ;). At the moment I don't have an idea what kept back the
>packages.

A cup of coffee reset the brain.

A new package needs to be installed.

"linux-image-4.4.0-96-generic"

IOW it is not an upgrade of the package

"linux-image-x.y.p-q-generic"

since it's a new package, with a different name.

Either removing a package or installing a new package requires to run
dist-upgrade/full-upgrade :).

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 07:32:59 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

>On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 07:22:10 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>>>
>>>For example take a look at the dependency chain of the package
>>>"linux-image-generic",
>>>https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial-updates/linux-image-generic .
>>>
>>>One of the dependencies is the package
>>>"linux-image-4.4.0-96-generic". This means that there is the need to
>>>remove a package named
>>>                                       "linux-image-x.y.p-q-generic",
>>>to upgrade the meta package "linux-image-generic".
>>>
>>>Actually you could install "linux-image-4.4.0-96-generic" without
>>>removing "linux-image-x.y.p-q-generic", but as already pointed out,
>>>you cannot upgrade "linux-image-generic" without removing
>>>"linux-image-x.y.p-q-generic".
>>>
>>>"linux-image-x.y.p-q-generic" is for any other version but
>>>"linux-image-4.4.0-96-generic", e.g.
>>>"linux-image-1.2.3-4-generic"
>>
>>Oops, I'm mistake :D. It's too early in the morning :D. Since the
>>dependency could be installed, also the meta-package could be
>>installed ;). At the moment I don't have an idea what kept back the
>>packages.
>
>A cup of coffee reset the brain.
>
>A new package needs to be installed.
>
>"linux-image-4.4.0-96-generic"
>
>IOW it is not an upgrade of the package
>
>"linux-image-x.y.p-q-generic"
>
>since it's a new package, with a different name.
>
>Either removing a package or installing a new package requires to run
>dist-upgrade/full-upgrade :).

Nonsense! :D upgrade of course installs new packages, too. I need
another cup of coffee.

Re: Ubuntu server holding back on me

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Donnerstag, den 21.09.2017, 13:02 -0700 schrieb Kevin O'Gorman:

> root@gog:~# apt-get upgrade
> The following packages have been kept back:

simply stop using apt-get, "apt upgrade" is what you want in newer
ubuntus ... apt upgrade uses new heuristics for upgades and has merged
the two (upgrade and dist-upgrade) and will do the right thing for you
without held back packages (you will still have to answer the Y/N
question in case you want to stop it) ...

ciao
        oli

Re: Ubuntu server holding back on me

Liam Proven
On 22 September 2017 at 10:43, Oliver Grawert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> simply stop using apt-get, "apt upgrade" is what you want in newer
> ubuntus ...

That should be:

apt full-upgrade

My personal "live dangerously" incantation is:

sudo apt update ; sudo apt full-upgrade -y ; sudo apt autoremove -y ;
sudo apt clean ; sudo apt purge

Ralf will probably pop up and scold me for using ``;'' instead of
``&&'', but my version saves a little bit of typing. The ``-y''
switches tell the commands to just do it and not ask me. The automatic
cleanup afterwards keeps my disk free space higher.

Am Freitag, den 22.09.2017, 11:21 +0200 schrieb Liam Proven:

> On 22 September 2017 at 10:43, Oliver Grawert <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >

> > simply stop using apt-get, "apt upgrade" is what you want in newer
> > ubuntus ...
> That should be:
>
> apt full-upgrade

nope, full-upgrade means "additionally allow removal of packages (even
if they are essential)" while the newly merged "upgrade" command simply
makes sure there are no held back packages during the upgrade process
itself.
you can use full-upgrade if you dont want to have to call "apt
autoremove" to clean up old kernels, the new "upgrade" should actually
be enough for normal daily use though ...

here is the difference between the relevant manpage entries:

old (apt-get):
"New versions of currently installed packages that cannot be upgraded
without changing the install status of another package will be left at
their current version."
(this is typically what causes the "held packages" message)

new (apt):
"New packages will be installed if required to satisfy dependencies,
but existing packages will never be removed."

ciao
        oli

Re: Ubuntu server holding back on me

Peter Silva
I think an additional source of confusion is that upgrading debian, a
normal way to upgrade to a later 'stable' (equiv. to LTS) is to change
repos in /etc/apt, and do 'apt-get dist-upgrade'... while this
operation was always fairly functional and reliable to upgrade Debian
servers, I had little, if any success using it in Ubuntu
(do_release_upgrade works bettter.) It is unexpected and confusing
that Debian and Ubuntu are different in that way, since they are so
close otherwise.