Ubuntu serverguide 14.04 - point release

Ubuntu serverguide 14.04 - point release

Doug Smythies
Hi,

The Ubuntu serverguide is only released on a per LTS basis.
i.e 12.04, 14.04, and soon 16.04.

We tried to fix many bug reports in the 14.04 serverguide,
and would like to do a point release before we diverge
the 14.04 and trunk (will become 16.04) branches.
We do have some 16.04 specific edits pending, and so it is
time to separate the branches.

The .POT file has been updated and translation work can be done.
We will target the actual point release for the first week
of January, but are flexible if someone wants more time.

It seems only French, Italian, and Russian seem to keep reasonably up
to date.

Please recall, that anytime outside of these specific point release times,
if someone has done has done a lot of serverguide translating and would
like the work to be published in an update to help.ubuntu.com, then just
let me know and I'll do it. In general update publications to
help.ubuntu.com do NOT occur every few weeks or months.

Reference:
https://translations.launchpad.net/serverguide/trunk/+translations

Thanks,

... Doug

RE: Ubuntu serverguide 14.04 - point release

Doug Smythies
On 2015.12.01 10:21 Doug Smythies wrote:

>The Ubuntu serverguide is only released on a per LTS basis.
> i.e 12.04, 14.04, and soon 16.04.
>
> We tried to fix many bug reports in the 14.04 serverguide,
> and would like to do a point release before we diverge
> the 14.04 and trunk (will become 16.04) branches.
> We do have some 16.04 specific edits pending, and so it is
> time to separate the branches.
>
> The .POT file has been updated and translation work can be done.
> We will target the actual point release for the first week
> of January, but are flexible if someone wants more time.

I will do the actual point release in the next day or two.

> It seems only French, Italian, and Russian seem to keep reasonably up
> to date.
>
> Please recall, that anytime outside of these specific point release times,
> if someone has done has done a lot of serverguide translating and would
> like the work to be published in an update to help.ubuntu.com, then just
> let me know and I'll do it. In general update publications to
> help.ubuntu.com do NOT occur every few weeks or months.
>
> Reference:
> https://translations.launchpad.net/serverguide/trunk/+translations
>
> Thanks,
>
> ... Doug

Re: Ubuntu serverguide 14.04 - point release

Javier Sinobas
How can I stop getting these emails?

Thanks,

Javier R. Sinobas

On 2016.01.02 14.22 Javier Sinobas wrote:

> How can I stop getting these emails?

Well, you would follow the link [1] that the
mailer daemon adds when it sends e-mails to the list,
and on that page there is an option, with instructions,
to unsubscribe.

Ubuntu serverguide 16.04 LTS

Doug Smythies

Recall that the Ubuntu serverguide is only released on a per LTS basis.
There were huge changes to Ubuntu server edition between 14.04 LTS and
16.04 LTS. We have begged and pleaded for Subject Matter Expert contributions
to the Ubuntu Serverguide, and while we are getting some help, a lot
of the revisions have been after various 16.04 release deadlines.
We will do some early point releases of the Ubuntu serverguide.

In terms of translations, it seems that only French, Italian,
and Russian seem to keep reasonably up to date anyhow.

Please recall, that anytime someone has done has done a lot of
serverguide translating and would like the work to be published
in an update to help.ubuntu.com, then just let me know and I'll do it.

While in general update publications to help.ubuntu.com do NOT occur
every few weeks or months, there will be some over the next few months
as we attempt to publish these late, but welcome, Serverguide contributions.

Reference:
https://translations.launchpad.net/serverguide/trunk/+translations

Thanks,

... Doug

Re: Ubuntu serverguide 16.04 LTS

Daniel G
Hello,

I have a doubt about the translation of html tags.
Are there any criteria about?

Should the tags be translated (I mean the texts between </translate?>)?
Should the text between tags be translated (I mean <foo>tranlate?</text>)?

thanks!

DG

On 2016.04.29 14:02 daniel wrote:

> I have a doubt about the translation of html tags.
> Are there any criteria about?
>
> Should the tags be translated (I mean the texts between </translate?>)?
> Should the text between tags be translated (I mean <foo>tranlate?</text>)?

I am not an expert on the actual translation process, but ...

No, you would not translate the tags themselves. They are DocBook directives
with information on how to actually compile the document into HTML or PDF.

As for the text in between tags, the answer is a bit more difficult, sometimes
yes and sometimes no, depending on the actual DocBook tag.

Re: Ubuntu serverguide 16.04 LTS

Gunnar Hjalmarsson
On 2016-04-30 08:44, Doug Smythies wrote:

> On 2016.04.29 14:02 daniel wrote:
>> I have a doubt about the translation of html tags.
>> Are there any criteria about?
>>
>> Should the tags be translated (I mean the texts between </translate?>)?
>> Should the text between tags be translated (I mean <foo>tranlate?</text>)?
>
> I am not an expert on the actual translation process, but ...
>
> No, you would not translate the tags themselves. They are DocBook directives
> with information on how to actually compile the document into HTML or PDF.
>
> As for the text in between tags, the answer is a bit more difficult, sometimes
> yes and sometimes no, depending on the actual DocBook tag.

Some general advice can be found at the top of this page:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/Translation

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj

Ubuntu serverguide 16.04 - point release

Doug Smythies

The Ubuntu serverguide is only released on a per LTS basis.
i.e 12.04, 14.04, and 16.04.

We need to do a point release update publication of the
16.04 Ubuntu serverguide.

The .POT file has been updated and translation work can be done.
We will target the actual point release for a couple of weeks
from now, say December 20th, but are flexible if someone
wants more time.

It seems only French, Italian, and Russian seem to keep reasonably up
to date.

Please recall, that anytime outside of these specific point release times,
if someone has done has done a lot of serverguide translating and would
like the work to be published in an update to help.ubuntu.com, then just
let me know and I'll do it. In general update publications to
help.ubuntu.com do NOT occur every few weeks or months.

Reference:
https://translations.launchpad.net/serverguide/trunk/+translations

Thanks,

... Doug

RE: Ubuntu serverguide 16.04 - point release

Doug Smythies

The Ubuntu Serverguide 16.04 has been updated on https://help.ubuntu.com/

... Doug

RE: Ubuntu serverguide 16.04 - point release

Doug Smythies
Due to good subject matter expert contributions, we want
to do another 16.04 Ubuntu serverguide point release already.

The .POT file has been updated and translation work can be done.
We will target the actual point release for a couple of weeks
from now, say June December 19th, but are flexible if someone
wants more time.

On 2017.06.04 22:51 Doug Smythies wrote:

> Due to good subject matter expert contributions, we want
> to do another 16.04 Ubuntu serverguide point release already.
>
> The .POT file has been updated and translation work can be done.
> We will target the actual point release for a couple of weeks
> from now, say June 19th, but are flexible if someone
> wants more time.

Unless someone wants more time, the 16.04 Ubuntu serverguide
point release will go ahead in the next day or two.

> Reference:
> https://translations.launchpad.net/serverguide
>
> ... Doug
>
>> On 2016.12.22 16:46 Doug Smythies wrote:
>> On 2016.12.06 23:32 Doug Smythies wrote:
>>
>>> The Ubuntu serverguide is only released on a per LTS basis.
>>> i.e 12.04, 14.04, and 16.04.
>>>
>>> We need to do a point release update publication of the
>>> 16.04 Ubuntu serverguide.
>>>
>>> The .POT file has been updated and translation work can be done.
>>> We will target the actual point release for a couple of weeks
>>> from now, say December 20th, but are flexible if someone
>>> wants more time.
>>>
>>> It seems only French, Italian, and Russian seem to keep reasonably up
>>> to date.
>>>
>>> Please recall, that anytime outside of these specific point release times,
>>> if someone has done has done a lot of serverguide translating and would
>>> like the work to be published in an update to help.ubuntu.com, then just
>>> let me know and I'll do it. In general update publications to
>>> help.ubuntu.com do NOT occur every few weeks or months.
>>>
>>> Reference:
>>> https://translations.launchpad.net/serverguide/trunk/+translations
>>
>> The Ubuntu Serverguide 16.04 has been updated on https://help.ubuntu.com/

Ubuntu serverguide 16.04 - point release

Doug Smythies

We have done another point release of the 16.04 Ubuntu Serverguide,
without a translation update delay.

As previously mentioned, it seems only French, Italian, and Russian
seem to keep reasonably up to date with Serverguide translations.

As usual, if any translation team ever wants the Serverguide
re-published on help.ubuntu.com with updated translations, just
let me know, and it will be done.

https://translations.launchpad.net/serverguide/xenial/+translations

... Doug

Re: Ubuntu serverguide 16.04 - point release

Hannie Dumoleyn
Hi Doug,
Speaking for the Dutch translation team, I can say that we will not
translate the Serverguide because we think that users prefer the English
version.
Hannie