UbuntuGIS team

Mateusz Loskot
Hi,

I'm looking for Ubuntu GIS team members.
Who set this Wikipage https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGIS up?
This team is also not listed here https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTUTeams
Is this alive?

Cheers
--
Mateusz ?oskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net

Re: UbuntuGIS team

Corey Burger
On 11/5/05, Mateusz Łoskot <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for Ubuntu GIS team members.
> Who set this Wikipage https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGIS up?
> This team is also not listed here https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTUTeams
> Is this alive?
>
> Cheers
> --
> Mateusz Łoskot
I was set up by myself (irc nick: Burgundavia) and Oliver Grawert (irc
nick: ogra). It has stalled due to my not being a MOTU and ogra being
crazy busy with Edubuntu.

What we need to is to figure out what is the most important things
that are not packaged. We need a real GIS person for that, as neither
of us are. Can you help us with that?

Corey

Re: UbuntuGIS team

Mateusz Loskot
Hi Corey,

Corey Burger wrote:

> On 11/5/05, Mateusz ?oskot <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>I'm looking for Ubuntu GIS team members.
>>Who set this Wikipage https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGIS up?
>>This team is also not listed here https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTUTeams
>>Is this alive?
>

> I was set up by myself (irc nick: Burgundavia) and Oliver Grawert (irc
> nick: ogra). It has stalled due to my not being a MOTU and ogra being
> crazy busy with Edubuntu.

I understand. So there isn't set any concrete roadmap for UbuntuGIS up?
Seems like it is in stage of proposal and DebianGIS compliance for now.

> What we need to is to figure out what is the most important things
> that are not packaged. We need a real GIS person for that, as neither
> of us are. Can you help us with that?

First, as I moved from Debian to Ubuntu, I'm strongly interested in such
a project like UbuntuGIS.

Second, I'd not define myself as a real GIS person. I work as a GIS
programmer for small company in Poland. After hours I'm mainly a user
but also contributor for a few Open Source projects i.e. QGIS, small
contribs for GDAL/OGR, Shapelib etc.

Third, I'm very new deb packager. I did first steps (debs) but I need
some guidance, definitely.

So, I'm intersted to get involved in UbuntuGIS but I'm not able to lead
the project. If there is someone who has some idea that's great!

Packages: I won't say here what should be packaged urgently but I'm
ready to participate in discussion about it, no problem, I'll do my
best. I'm also in contact with real GIS persons and Open Source Software
users so I have consulting possibilities if needed.

Cheers

--
Mateusz ?oskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net

Re: UbuntuGIS team

Corey Burger
On 11/5/05, Mateusz Łoskot <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Corey,
>
> Corey Burger wrote:
> > On 11/5/05, Mateusz Łoskot <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >>I'm looking for Ubuntu GIS team members.
> >>Who set this Wikipage https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGIS up?
> >>This team is also not listed here https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTUTeams
> >>Is this alive?
> >

> > I was set up by myself (irc nick: Burgundavia) and Oliver Grawert (irc
> > nick: ogra). It has stalled due to my not being a MOTU and ogra being
> > crazy busy with Edubuntu.
>
> I understand. So there isn't set any concrete roadmap for UbuntuGIS up?
> Seems like it is in stage of proposal and DebianGIS compliance for now.

Not really. We lack a roadmap because we don't know what is useful for
a real GIS user.

> > What we need to is to figure out what is the most important things
> > that are not packaged. We need a real GIS person for that, as neither
> > of us are. Can you help us with that?
>
> First, as I moved from Debian to Ubuntu, I'm strongly interested in such
> a project like UbuntuGIS.
>
> Second, I'd not define myself as a real GIS person. I work as a GIS
> programmer for small company in Poland. After hours I'm mainly a user
> but also contributor for a few Open Source projects i.e. QGIS, small
> contribs for GDAL/OGR, Shapelib etc.
>
> Third, I'm very new deb packager. I did first steps (debs) but I need
> some guidance, definitely.
The Masters of the Universe are more than happy to help you with this.
They can be reached at #ubuntu-motu.

> So, I'm intersted to get involved in UbuntuGIS but I'm not able to lead
> the project. If there is someone who has some idea that's great!
>
> Packages: I won't say here what should be packaged urgently but I'm
> ready to participate in discussion about it, no problem, I'll do my
> best. I'm also in contact with real GIS persons and Open Source Software
> users so I have consulting possibilities if needed.

The best way might be to join #ubuntu-motu on Freenode and we can talk more.

Corey

Re: UbuntuGIS team

Mateusz Loskot
Corey Burger wrote:

> On 11/5/05, Mateusz ?oskot <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>Corey Burger wrote:

>>>I was set up by myself (irc nick: Burgundavia) and Oliver Grawert (irc
>>>nick: ogra). It has stalled due to my not being a MOTU and ogra being
>>>crazy busy with Edubuntu.
>>
>>I understand. So there isn't set any concrete roadmap for UbuntuGIS up?
>>Seems like it is in stage of proposal and DebianGIS compliance for now.
>>

> Not really. We lack a roadmap because we don't know what is useful for
> a real GIS user.

OK, so this is what we can try to do together ;-)

>>Third, I'm very new deb packager. I did first steps (debs) but I need
>>some guidance, definitely.
>
> The Masters of the Universe are more than happy to help you with this.
> They can be reached at #ubuntu-motu.

Sure, I visit #ubuntu-motu frequently.

Cheers
--
Mateusz ?oskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net

Re: UbuntuGIS team

Jon Saints
Over the past month, I have been working with the
debianGIS
(http://pkg-grass.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl)
team to establish a more fluid relationship with the
UbuntuGIS group and to create updated GIS packages for
Ubuntu.  My personal interest in in creating a "sync"
of debianGIS respository for
Breezy.  I like Ubuntu's release cycle. It will offer
many people greater access to uptodate GIS software on
regular basis.

DebianGIS is a very active group of debian
developers/testers and GIS experts who are truly doing
great work to put the best and most up-to-date open
source GIS software into debian. I have found that
porting their work to Ubuntu is very easy.

DebianGIS already has:
1) packaged the most popular GIS apps like mapserver,
grass, gdal etc
2) packaged very complicated packages like grass and
postgis
3) Created a list of opensource packages that need to
be built

UbuntuGIS needs to be very careful not to reinvent or
duplicate the efforts of the DebianGIS team.  The
debianGIS team is very efficient and expirienced. The
most effective way for UbuntuGIS team to package
uptodate GIS software for Ubuntu is to become
contributors of patches and packages to debianGIS.

My vision for UbuntuGIS is this: We develop all GIS
packages for debianGIS unstable repository. Bugs and
patches will be made for debian only.  When we feel
that there are stable enough packages in the debianGIS
repository, it is easy enough to "sync" debianGIS
packages from source to the various Ubuntu Distros.
Willing groups could set up testing repositories and
work to integrate the Ubuntu packages into universe.

I have been able to sync GDAL, mapserver, and postgis
so far.  It was not difficult.

 Thanks
Jon

--- Mateusz ?oskot <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Corey Burger wrote:
> > On 11/5/05, Mateusz ?oskot <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGIS up?
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTUTeams

> and Oliver Grawert (irc
> MOTU and ogra being
> >>
> >>I understand. So there isn't set any concrete
> roadmap for UbuntuGIS up?
> >>Seems like it is in stage of proposal and
> DebianGIS compliance for now.
> >>

> > Not really. We lack a roadmap because we don't
> know what is useful for
> > a real GIS user.
>
> OK, so this is what we can try to do together ;-)
>
> >>Third, I'm very new deb packager. I did first
> steps (debs) but I need
> >>some guidance, definitely.
> >
> > The Masters of the Universe are more than happy to
> help you with this.
> > They can be reached at #ubuntu-motu.
>
> Sure, I visit #ubuntu-motu frequently.
>
> Cheers
> --
> Mateusz ?oskot
> http://mateusz.loskot.net

Re: UbuntuGIS team

Mateusz Loskot
Hi Jon,

Jon Saints wrote:
> Over the past month, I have been working with the
> debianGIS (http://pkg-grass.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl)
 > team to establish a more fluid relationship with the
 > UbuntuGIS group and to create updated GIS packages for
 > Ubuntu.

Yes, I'm tracking DebianGIS from the beginning.
A few months ago I moved to Ubuntu, just for the same reason as you
mention below ;-) and here I'm new for UbuntuGIS.
So, please, could you give little overview what have you done in Debian
GIS for DebianGIS and UbuntuGIS integration?

> My personal interest in in creating a "sync"
> of debianGIS respository for Breezy

Yes, but there are so many packages and - as I talk to Burgundavia and
ogra in #ubuntu-devel yesterday - we need to decide a roadmap. We
discussed my proposal and I will include it to UbuntuGIS wiki page
tomorrow I think. In general, we need:
- to group pacakges in some logical meta-packages i.e. webmapping stuff
- define priorities between groups - meta-packages
- define priorities for packages insinde defined groups

Just a roadmap. Have you any suggestions?
Where to start, how to proceed in order to do best?

 > I like Ubuntu's release cycle. It will offer
> many people greater access to uptodate GIS software on
> regular basis.

Definitely, agreed :-)

> DebianGIS is a very active group of debian
> developers/testers and GIS experts who are truly doing
> great work to put the best and most up-to-date open
> source GIS software into debian. I have found that
> porting their work to Ubuntu is very easy.

In fact, Debian is Ubuntu's father ;-)
BTW, who is the mother, hehe?

> DebianGIS already has:
> 1) packaged the most popular GIS apps like mapserver,
> grass, gdal etc
> 2) packaged very complicated packages like grass and
> postgis
> 3) Created a list of opensource packages that need to
> be built

Sure, and we need to adapt it to Ubuntu. But we still need an adaptation
roadmap. Next, we need to go further and work on new features for
UbuntuGIS, I think so.

> UbuntuGIS needs to be very careful not to reinvent or
> duplicate the efforts of the DebianGIS team. The
> debianGIS team is very efficient and expirienced. The
> most effective way for UbuntuGIS team to package
> uptodate GIS software for Ubuntu is to become
> contributors of patches and packages to debianGIS.

Certainly, I agree. Note, as I said in one of my posts, I'm not a MOTU
or very experienced deb developer and maintainer, but I agree and I'm
trying still to lower my own the learning curve of packaging ;-)

> My vision for UbuntuGIS is this: We develop all GIS
> packages for debianGIS unstable repository.
 > Bugs and patches will be made for debian only. When we feel
 > that there are stable enough packages in the debianGIS
 > repository, it is easy enough to "sync" debianGIS
 > packages from source to the various Ubuntu Distros.

So, you propose to do it indirectly with help of DebianGIS repos.
 From my point of view there are some advantages but I'm not able to
decide. Generally, agreed but I have one comment, that in some cases
DebianGIS repos could be limiting us i.e. when we would want - 4xW ;-) -
to include latest versions of i.e. PostGIS or GDAL.

> Willing groups could set up testing repositories and
> work to integrate the Ubuntu packages into universe.

You mean MOTUs, right?

Cheers
--
Mateusz ?oskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net

Re: UbuntuGIS team

john levin-2
Corey Burger wrote:

> On 11/5/05, Mateusz Łoskot <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I'm looking for Ubuntu GIS team members.
>>Who set this Wikipage https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGIS up?
>>This team is also not listed here https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTUTeams
>>Is this alive?
>>
>>Cheers
>>--
>>Mateusz Łoskot
>

> I was set up by myself (irc nick: Burgundavia) and Oliver Grawert (irc
> nick: ogra). It has stalled due to my not being a MOTU and ogra being
> crazy busy with Edubuntu.
>
> What we need to is to figure out what is the most important things
> that are not packaged. We need a real GIS person for that, as neither
> of us are. Can you help us with that?
>
> Corey

Just to raise my hand, I'm interested in this, although it's more a
matter of enthusiasm than experience or expertise.

Have contacted the openstreetmap people
to see if anyone is interested in UbuntuGIS, and suggesting things for
the roadmap.

John