UbuntuGNOME 14.04

Gilles Gravier-2
So a strange thing happened to me...

During the beta period, I went to what I thought would get me the latest beta of Ubuntu... But where I went was : http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-gnome/releases/trusty/ (which is for Ubuntu GNOME not for normal Ubuntu). Since I didn't realize it was different, I downloaded the beta.

And I loved the look. I figured... hey, they're going for touch screens and all kinds of new things, so the look is changing. I had noticed "Ubuntu GNOME" written on the login screen... but that's about it. :) I figured it was just the new 14.04 look.

Then today I updated an Ubuntu 13.10 machine to 14.04 and found it had the old Ubuntu look in 14.04. So I started trying things out to see why I didn't get the new look. Tried all I could. Spent a few hours this afternoon on it... :)

Then I read... and found out that "Ubuntu GNOME" is a separate (yet official) flavour of Ubuntu : http://ubuntugnome.org/ and that you can download it from cdimage and their site.

If you haven't tried it, it's definitely worth a look! And if you do, you can also update a standard ubuntu to Ubuntu GNOME by installing "ubuntu-gnome-desktop" metapackage, and selecting "gdm" instead of "lightdm"... and then from the new login screen, selecting "GNOME" as your session.

Frankly, I can't go back to the "old" Ubuntu look. :)

(Of course it's all a question of taste!)

Gilles

--
Gilles Gravier - [hidden email]
Using Google Apps web mail

Re: UbuntuGNOME 14.04

Pete Smout-2
On 18/04/14 19:41, Gilles Gravier wrote:

> So a strange thing happened to me...
>
> During the beta period, I went to what I thought would get me the latest
> beta of Ubuntu... But where I went was :
> http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-gnome/releases/trusty/ (which is for
> Ubuntu GNOME not for normal Ubuntu). Since I didn't realize it was
> different, I downloaded the beta.
>
> And I loved the look. I figured... hey, they're going for touch screens
> and all kinds of new things, so the look is changing. I had noticed
> "Ubuntu GNOME" written on the login screen... but that's about it. :) I
> figured it was just the new 14.04 look.
>
> Then today I updated an Ubuntu 13.10 machine to 14.04 and found it had
> the old Ubuntu look in 14.04. So I started trying things out to see why
> I didn't get the new look. Tried all I could. Spent a few hours this
> afternoon on it... :)
>
> Then I read... and found out that "Ubuntu GNOME" is a separate (yet
> official) flavour of Ubuntu : http://ubuntugnome.org/ and that you can
> download it from cdimage and their site.
>
> If you haven't tried it, it's definitely worth a look! And if you do,
> you can also update a standard ubuntu to Ubuntu GNOME by installing
> "ubuntu-gnome-desktop" metapackage, and selecting "gdm" instead of
> "lightdm"... and then from the new login screen, selecting "GNOME" as
> your session.
>
> Frankly, I can't go back to the "old" Ubuntu look. :)
>
> (Of course it's all a question of taste!)
>
> Gilles
>
> --
> Gilles Gravier - [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> Using Google Apps web mail

Hi,
True it's a matter of taste! & also practicality, Gnome 3 suspends when
I close the laptop lid even if a back-up or something is running in the
background, & even when it's plugged in to the TV to watch a film!!!
this is the most annoying thing I have ever encountered and the Gnome
devs do not seem to care! They state on their forum that it's the way
it's going to be and like it or lump it (or words to that effect)!

I always thought Linux was about choice not having things put upon you
and told you cant do anything about it!!

right that's my moan over.....

Pete S

Re: UbuntuGNOME 14.04

Martin Cigorraga

I always thought Linux was about choice not having things put upon you and told you cant do anything about it!!

Absolutely, GNU+Linux _is ALL about choice_: do you know how to fork and chance a feature you want to see implemented in another way? Go and do it. Don't you like it at all? Don't use it, no one is forcing you or pushing a gun on your back. If GNOME devs thinks the way they do things is the right way then there you have, there's nothing more to say about that.

There are PLENTY of options in GNU+Linux to suit almost every taste, not to mention within the big Ubuntu family itself that sports very much all - if not all - of them, it's just to you to have a minimum of will to make some research.

Ubuntu (Unity), Kubuntu (KDE), Xubuntu (Xfce), Lubuntu (LXDE), Ubuntu GNOME - and derivatives: Mint, Bodhi (Enlightenment), Studio... if that isn't choice, what is? To pay for a privative close-source OS where you don't have the chance to know what's really going in there and to still be limited to the way you're supposed to use it?

I rather prefer to donate the same amount of money I would spend on such OSs to the F/LOSS projects I care.

-Martin

Re: UbuntuGNOME 14.04

Pete Smout-2
On 19/04/14 02:39, Martin Cigorraga wrote:

>     I always thought Linux was about choice not having things put upon
>     you and told you cant do anything about it!!
>

> Absolutely, GNU+Linux _is ALL about choice_: do you know how to fork and
> chance a feature you want to see implemented in another way? Go and do
> it. Don't you like it at all? Don't use it, no one is forcing you or
> pushing a gun on your back. If GNOME devs thinks the way they do things
> is the right way then there you have, there's nothing more to say about
> that.
>
> There are PLENTY of options in GNU+Linux to suit almost every taste, not
> to mention within the big Ubuntu family itself that sports very much all
> - if not all - of them, it's just to you to have a minimum of will to
> make some research.
>
> Ubuntu (Unity), Kubuntu (KDE), Xubuntu (Xfce), Lubuntu (LXDE), Ubuntu
> GNOME - and derivatives: Mint, Bodhi (Enlightenment), Studio... if that
> isn't choice, what is? To pay for a privative close-source OS where you
> don't have the chance to know what's really going in there and to still
> be limited to the way you're supposed to use it?
>
> I rather prefer to donate the same amount of money I would spend on such
> OSs to the F/LOSS projects I care.
>
> -Martin

Hi,

I quite agree, and have donated to Ubuntu, in the past & will again in
the future! And of course I don't use Gnome (I initially installed it
with Sabayon on my test box, just to see... the people at Sabayon were
wonderful, in that they explained where the config file was and how to
change it, but trying to make it "stick" passed upgrades was in the end
beyond us!). The upshot of that experiment is that I will not choose
Gnome 3!

Having said that I'm pleased that you find it good and goes to prove the
old saying "different strokes for different folks"!

It was more a rant at the lack of "customer" reconfigurability that the
Gnome devs seem (from my point of view) forcing upon their "customer
base" than a criticism of your choice! If it works for you then use it,
for me Unity is a whole lot better than Gnome 3, although much as I
liked it at the time, I could not go back to Gnome 2 style
menus-in-menus again. The world moves on and so must I.

Happy Ubuntu Gnome-ing  and I hope you enjoy using it and it does
everything you require it to do!

Pete S

Re: UbuntuGNOME 14.04

Tom H-4
On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 7:47 PM, Peter Smout <[hidden email]> wrote:

> True it's a matter of taste! & also practicality, Gnome 3 suspends when I
> close the laptop lid even if a back-up or something is running in the
> background, & even when it's plugged in to the TV to watch a film!!! this is
> the most annoying thing I have ever encountered and the Gnome devs do not
> seem to care! They state on their forum that it's the way it's going to be
> and like it or lump it (or words to that effect)!
>
> I always thought Linux was about choice not having things put upon you and
> told you cant do anything about it!!

The Gnome developers don't want to provide a gui option to change the
lid-closing behavior but you can modify that behavior to a certain
extent via dconf-editor.(or dconf or gsettings once you know what the
correct keys are).

Search for "power" in dconf-editor.

Re: UbuntuGNOME 14.04

Pete Smout-2
On 19/04/14 11:15, Tom H wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 7:47 PM, Peter Smout <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> True it's a matter of taste! & also practicality, Gnome 3 suspends when I
>> close the laptop lid even if a back-up or something is running in the
>> background, & even when it's plugged in to the TV to watch a film!!! this is
>> the most annoying thing I have ever encountered and the Gnome devs do not
>> seem to care! They state on their forum that it's the way it's going to be
>> and like it or lump it (or words to that effect)!
>>
>> I always thought Linux was about choice not having things put upon you and
>> told you cant do anything about it!!
>
> The Gnome developers don't want to provide a gui option to change the
> lid-closing behavior but you can modify that behavior to a certain
> extent via dconf-editor.(or dconf or gsettings once you know what the
> correct keys are).
>
> Search for "power" in dconf-editor.

As I stated in my previous message, it wont stick, to have to keep doing
it got me down! (maybe that's a Sabayon thing, but I doubt it!)

The forums are full of people moaning about this and other things that
the devs have been seen to remove from people! (I guess you can't please
all of the people all of the time!)

It no-longer concerns me as I have off'd Sabayon & Gnome 3 from My life
and will stick with Ubuntu & Crunchbang for the time being!!

And whilst I'm here can I say a BIG thanks to the *buntu devs for
continuing to provide an excellent operating system that (for me at
least) keeps getting better!

Pete S

Re: UbuntuGNOME 14.04

Tom H-4
On Sat, Apr 19, 2014 at 6:24 AM, Peter Smout <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 19/04/14 11:15, Tom H wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 7:47 PM, Peter Smout <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> True it's a matter of taste! & also practicality, Gnome 3 suspends when I
>>> close the laptop lid even if a back-up or something is running in the
>>> background, & even when it's plugged in to the TV to watch a film!!! this
>>> is
>>> the most annoying thing I have ever encountered and the Gnome devs do not
>>> seem to care! They state on their forum that it's the way it's going to
>>> be
>>> and like it or lump it (or words to that effect)!
>>>
>>> I always thought Linux was about choice not having things put upon you
>>> and
>>> told you cant do anything about it!!
>>
>> The Gnome developers don't want to provide a gui option to change the
>> lid-closing behavior but you can modify that behavior to a certain
>> extent via dconf-editor.(or dconf or gsettings once you know what the
>> correct keys are).
>>
>> Search for "power" in dconf-editor.
>>
> As I stated in my previous message, it wont stick, to have to keep doing it
> got me down! (maybe that's a Sabayon thing, but I doubt it!)
>
> The forums are full of people moaning about this and other things that the
> devs have been seen to remove from people! (I guess you can't please all of
> the people all of the time!)
>
> It no-longer concerns me as I have off'd Sabayon & Gnome 3 from My life and
> will stick with Ubuntu & Crunchbang for the time being!!

I only have two speculative answers.

1) The dconf settings to prevent sleep-on-close were moved when you upgraded.

2) (Based on partial knowledge) The functionality's been ceded to
systemd, and more specifically to systemd-inhibit, in later versions
of Gnome.

Re: UbuntuGNOME 14.04

Martin Cigorraga
On Sat, Apr 19, 2014 at 7:10 AM, Peter Smout <[hidden email]> wrote:

Happy Ubuntu Gnome-ing  and I hope you enjoy using it and it does everything you require it to do!

Pete S

Actually I use GNOME apps because I'm stuck with them on Ubuntu, not because I like them ;-D
I quit using GNOME when at Ubuntu 7.10 as *to me* KDE is absolutely unbeatable!

Cheers
--
-Martin

Re: UbuntuGNOME 14.04

Gary J. Kirkpatrick

On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 8:41 PM, Gilles Gravier <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

So if I want to run the gnome interface in Ubuntu 14, is this the procedure?  I do not want to install standard applications etc just the desktop environment

  1. sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3
  2. Update and install with this command: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install gnome-shell ubuntu-gnome-desktop

From http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/linux-and-open-source/how-to-install-gnome-38-on-ubuntu/

Thanks

garyk

Re: UbuntuGNOME 14.04

Colin Law
On 20 April 2014 10:48, Gary Kirkpatrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So if I want to run the gnome interface in Ubuntu 14, is this the procedure?
> I do not want to install standard applications etc just the desktop
> environment
>
> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3
> Update and install with this command: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get
> install gnome-shell ubuntu-gnome-desktop

You should not need the ppa as gnome is available with 14.04 (though I
have not tried it).

Colin

Re: UbuntuGNOME 14.04

Gilles Gravier-2
Gary,

Just type : sudo apt-get install ubuntu-gnome-desktop
Then set your login manager as gdm : sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm
Then from login screen make sure you select GNOME as your session

Then again, I wrote most of this in my original post... :)

Gilles

On Sun, Apr 20, 2014 at 11:48 AM, Gary Kirkpatrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

From http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/linux-and-open-source/how-to-install-gnome-38-on-ubuntu/

Thanks

garyk

On Sun, Apr 20, 2014 at 12:19 PM, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 20 April 2014 10:48, Gary Kirkpatrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So if I want to run the gnome interface in Ubuntu 14, is this the procedure?
> I do not want to install standard applications etc just the desktop
> environment
>
> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3
> Update and install with this command: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get
> install gnome-shell ubuntu-gnome-desktop

You should not need the ppa as gnome is available with 14.04 (though I
have not tried it).

Colin

--

Ah!  Called Gnome Shell in Software Center.  Has some fans.  I have used it under 12.04 and I prefer Unity but am glad users can choose.

Thanks

garyk

Re: UbuntuGNOME 14.04

Colin Law
On 20 April 2014 11:51, Gary Kirkpatrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 20, 2014 at 12:19 PM, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 20 April 2014 10:48, Gary Kirkpatrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > So if I want to run the gnome interface in Ubuntu 14, is this the
>> > procedure?
>> > I do not want to install standard applications etc just the desktop
>> > environment
>> >
>> > sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3
>> > Update and install with this command: sudo apt-get update && sudo
>> > apt-get
>> > install gnome-shell ubuntu-gnome-desktop
>>
>> You should not need the ppa as gnome is available with 14.04 (though I
>> have not tried it).
>>
>> Colin
>>
>> --
>

> Ah!  Called Gnome Shell in Software Center.  Has some fans.  I have used it
> under 12.04 and I prefer Unity but am glad users can choose.

In that case why were you asking how to install it?

Colin

Re: UbuntuGNOME 14.04

Gary J. Kirkpatrick

On Sun, Apr 20, 2014 at 12:57 PM, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 20 April 2014 11:51, Gary Kirkpatrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 20, 2014 at 12:19 PM, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 20 April 2014 10:48, Gary Kirkpatrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > So if I want to run the gnome interface in Ubuntu 14, is this the
>> > procedure?
>> > I do not want to install standard applications etc just the desktop
>> > environment
>> >
>> > sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3
>> > Update and install with this command: sudo apt-get update && sudo
>> > apt-get
>> > install gnome-shell ubuntu-gnome-desktop
>>
>> You should not need the ppa as gnome is available with 14.04 (though I
>> have not tried it).
>>
>> Colin
>>
>> --
>

> Ah!  Called Gnome Shell in Software Center.  Has some fans.  I have used it
> under 12.04 and I prefer Unity but am glad users can choose.

In that case why were you asking how to install it?

Colin

--

Because it did not look quite right-  in Software Center is was tagged as what I call a background program.  It is marked with that icon of a little basket of goodies.  I installed it figuring that would do it once you mentioned I would not need the repository.  however that did not work.  i had to install it using what I was asking about --   sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install gnome-shell ubuntu-gnome-desktop after you install the repository.  sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3

Anyway I installed it from terminal and it seems to be working just fine.  It will take some tweaking to make it do what I want.

thanks!!

garyk

Re: UbuntuGNOME 14.04

Dave Woyciesjes
On 04/19/2014 06:24 AM, Peter Smout wrote:

> On 19/04/14 11:15, Tom H wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 7:47 PM, Peter Smout <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> True it's a matter of taste! & also practicality, Gnome 3 suspends
>>> when I
>>> close the laptop lid even if a back-up or something is running in the
>>> background, & even when it's plugged in to the TV to watch a film!!!
>>> this is
>>> the most annoying thing I have ever encountered and the Gnome devs do
>>> not
>>> seem to care! They state on their forum that it's the way it's going
>>> to be
>>> and like it or lump it (or words to that effect)!
>>>
>>> I always thought Linux was about choice not having things put upon
>>> you and
>>> told you cant do anything about it!!
>>
>> The Gnome developers don't want to provide a gui option to change the
>> lid-closing behavior but you can modify that behavior to a certain
>> extent via dconf-editor.(or dconf or gsettings once you know what the
>> correct keys are).
>>
>> Search for "power" in dconf-editor.
>>
> As I stated in my previous message, it wont stick, to have to keep doing
> it got me down! (maybe that's a Sabayon thing, but I doubt it!)
>
> The forums are full of people moaning about this and other things that
> the devs have been seen to remove from people! (I guess you can't please
> all of the people all of the time!)
>
> It no-longer concerns me as I have off'd Sabayon & Gnome 3 from My life
> and will stick with Ubuntu & Crunchbang for the time being!!
>
> And whilst I'm here can I say a BIG thanks to the *buntu devs for
> continuing to provide an excellent operating system that (for me at
> least) keeps getting better!
>
> Pete S

        To be honest, every laptop user I know wants the laptop to suspend when
they close the lid. They're not using it at that time, so they don't care.

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
Registered Linux user number 464583

- from some guy on the internet.

Re: UbuntuGNOME 14.04

Gilles Gravier-2
Actually, I don't like the laptop going into suspend when I close the lid. :)

So on Ubuntu GNOME, on my Clevo / Why W258 with Ubuntu GNOME 14.04 LTS, I go to power settings, and select "When the lid is closed" and chose "Do nothing" both for "On battery power" and "When plugged in".

With this selected, when I close the lid, the display just gets locked. But that's because I want that. At least the machine stays on. No problem.

Gilles

On 19/04/14 11:15, Tom H wrote:
[...]

Karl Auer
On Sun, 2014-04-20 at 14:51 -0400, Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
> To be honest, every laptop user I know wants the laptop to suspend
> when
> they close the lid. They're not using it at that time, so they don't
> care.

Ah, "the argument from personal incredulity (variant)"

Reasons why you might not want the laptop to suspend on closed lid:

- your laptop doesn't suspend properly

- your laptop doesn't return from suspend properly

- you are using the laptop as a powerhead, with external monitors

- the laptop is being used headless, e.g. as a server or router

- there are kids or cats around and you want to protect the laptop while
it does some longish task

- you don't want someone else stopping things by closing the lid of an
apparently idle laptop

- you want to move the laptop without interrupting what it's doing
(dinner time!)

- the laptop is being used for something that doesn't need a screen -
e.g. listening to Internet radio

I'm sure there are plenty more. All of the above have applied for me at
various times over the years.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer ([hidden email])
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: EC67 61E2 C2F6 EB55 884B E129 072B 0AF0 72AA 9882
Old fingerprint: B862 FB15 FE96 4961 BC62 1A40 6239 1208 9865 5F9A

Re: UbuntuGNOME 14.04

Pete Smout-2
On 20/04/14 22:42, Karl Auer wrote:
> On Sun, 2014-04-20 at 14:51 -0400, Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
>> To be honest, every laptop user I know wants the laptop to suspend
>> when
>> they close the lid. They're not using it at that time, so they don't
>> care.

Would be fine if it "woke up" again afterwards, but the wake up fails 5
times out of 10 so it's just a pain!
Not to mention when it's plugged into an external screen, for watching
movies etc, then it SHOULD be disabled by default, but for some reason
it isn't :(

Hope it works for you though!! Each to their own ;)

Pete S

> Ah, "the argument from personal incredulity (variant)"
>
> Reasons why you might not want the laptop to suspend on closed lid:
>
> - your laptop doesn't suspend properly
>
> - your laptop doesn't return from suspend properly
>
> - you are using the laptop as a powerhead, with external monitors
>
> - the laptop is being used headless, e.g. as a server or router
>
> - there are kids or cats around and you want to protect the laptop while
> it does some longish task
>
> - you don't want someone else stopping things by closing the lid of an
> apparently idle laptop
>
> - you want to move the laptop without interrupting what it's doing
> (dinner time!)
>
> - the laptop is being used for something that doesn't need a screen -
> e.g. listening to Internet radio
>
> I'm sure there are plenty more. All of the above have applied for me at
> various times over the years.
>
> Regards, K.

Re: UbuntuGNOME 14.04

Dave Woyciesjes
On 04/20/2014 05:42 PM, Karl Auer wrote:
> On Sun, 2014-04-20 at 14:51 -0400, Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
>> To be honest, every laptop user I know wants the laptop to suspend
>> when
>> they close the lid. They're not using it at that time, so they don't
>> care.
>
> Ah, "the argument from personal incredulity (variant)"

        Ah, no. The reply from personal experience. I said "every laptop user I
know...". That does not equal every user in the world.

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
Registered Linux user number 464583

- from some guy on the internet.

Re: UbuntuGNOME 14.04

Marius Gedminas-2
On Sat, Apr 19, 2014 at 12:47:28AM +0100, Peter Smout wrote:
> True it's a matter of taste! & also practicality, Gnome 3 suspends
> when I close the laptop lid even if a back-up or something is
> running in the background, & even when it's plugged in to the TV to
> watch a film!!!

Sounds like a bug.  It's not supposed to suspend if you've got an
external monitor plugged in (and it doesn't for me; it does, however,
lock the screen).

> this is the most annoying thing I have ever
> encountered and the Gnome devs do not seem to care! They state on
> their forum that it's the way it's going to be and like it or lump
> it (or words to that effect)!

GNOME Tweak Tool lets you configure this.  It's provided by GNOME devs
for people like you who like to customize everything.

BTW it has a setting "go to sleep even if an external monitor is plugged
in", which defaults to off.  You may want to check if it somehow got
turned on, or if you really found a bug.

> I always thought Linux was about choice

http://islinuxaboutchoice.com

Marius Gedminas
--
I am a computer. I am dumber than any human and smarter than any administrator.