Un-Install Question for Firefox

Wade Smart
01212006 1237 GMT-6

If I uninstall Firefox, will the .mozilla folder remain with the plugins
and booksmarks and whatnot?
Wade

Re: Un-Install Question for Firefox

David Hart-3
On Sat, Jan 21, 2006 at 12:38:15PM -0600, Wade Smart wrote:

> If I uninstall Firefox, will the .mozilla folder remain with the plugins
> and booksmarks and whatnot?

Make a copy and find out?  (I've not come across software that will
remove files from your home folder.)

--
David Hart <[hidden email]>

Re: Un-Install Question for Firefox

Jonathan A. Watson
On Sat, 2006-01-21 at 12:38 -0600, Wade Smart wrote:
01212006 1237 GMT-6

If I uninstall Firefox, will the .mozilla folder remain with the plugins
and booksmarks and whatnot?
Wade

It depends if you installed the Mozilla Application suite... What is the problem with Firefox?

--
Jonathan A. Watson <[hidden email]>

Re: Un-Install Question for Firefox

Wade Smart
01212006 1436 GMT-6

I installed an extension on Monday and when I restarted the bottom 4th of my screen was separated into another screen with some text like this:

<key id="key_openHelp"

There was a lot more text but after restarting Firefox some of it went away. I asked for help on multiple groups but no one responded with any response so I figure the best thing to do is uninstall, save my .mozilla file and reinstall.

Wade

On Sat, Jan 21, 2006 at 02:41:09PM -0600, Wade Smart wrote:

> I installed an extension on Monday and when I restarted the bottom 4th
> of my screen was separated into another screen with some text like this:
[snip]

What happens when you uninstall the extension?

--
David Hart <[hidden email]>

Re: Un-Install Question for Firefox

Wade Smart
01212006 1552 GMT-6

I uninstalled the extension as soon as I saw the problem. The bottom are was originally almost 1/2 of the page but was reduced to about 1/4th when removed the extension.

A picture would speak much more to this but we cant post those here so Ill try to draw it out:

The original browser
|----------------|
|                |
|                |
|                |
|__________|

After the extension:
|----------------|
|                |
|__________|
|                |
|                |
|__________|

After removing the extension:
|----------------|
|                |
|                |
|                |
|__________|
|                |
|__________|

Wade

On Sat, Jan 21, 2006 at 03:59:47PM -0600, Wade Smart wrote:
> 01212006 1552 GMT-6
>
> I uninstalled the extension as soon as I saw the problem. The bottom are
> was originally almost 1/2 of the page but was reduced to about 1/4th
> when removed the extension.
>
> A picture would speak much more to this but we cant post those here so
> Ill try to draw it out:

Strange ...

Instead of uninstalling firefox try moving the ~/.mozilla folder
somewhere safe (with firefox shutdown) and then see what happens when
you restart firefox.

I think the problem is not likely to be with the firefox binaries etc
(assuming you installed the extension as a user and not root).

--
David Hart <[hidden email]>

On Sat, 2006-01-21 at 14:41 -0600, Wade Smart wrote:
Jonathan A. Watson wrote:
On Sat, 2006-01-21 at 12:38 -0600, Wade Smart wrote:

If I uninstall Firefox, will the .mozilla folder remain with the plugins
and booksmarks and whatnot?
Wade

It depends if you installed the Mozilla Application suite... What is the problem with Firefox?
I installed an extension on Monday and when I restarted the bottom 4th of my screen was separated into another screen with some text like this:

<key id="key_openHelp"

There was a lot more text but after restarting Firefox some of it went away. I asked for help on multiple groups but no one responded with any response so I figure the best thing to do is uninstall, save my .mozilla file and reinstall.

Wade

I see. I had that happen on SuSE once, so I had to reinstall. But, just in case it is best to back it up. I believe it will go away if you do not have any other programs using the directory though...

--
Jonathan A. Watson <[hidden email]>

Re: Un-Install Question for Firefox

Wade Smart
01212006 1620 GMT-6

Oh my gosh! How easy was that.
I feel a little stupid thinking I had to reinstall the app.

This is why I love Linux - so freakin simple. Sometimes, too simple for my mind.

Thanks

Wade

On Sat, 2006-01-21 at 16:22 -0600, Wade Smart wrote:
01212006 1620 GMT-6

Oh my gosh! How easy was that.
I feel a little stupid thinking I had to reinstall the app.

This is why I love Linux - so freakin simple. Sometimes, too simple for my mind.

Thanks

Wade

So everything is in tip top shape? I ddin't think that would fix it... Glad it's working for you!

--
Jonathan A. Watson <[hidden email]>

Re: Un-Install Question for Firefox

Wade Smart
01212006 1832 GMT-6

I backed up my bookmarks but the extensions I just reinstalled and everything was fine.

One thing I noticed when all this happened was that some of my extensions changed from English to German. I didnt know what they ment.

But everything is great now.

Wade