Unable to login after upgrade

Gregory Gamble
Dear list,

I wonder if you have advice on what to check out.

On my "work" computer, I recently did the upgrade from 18.04 to 20.04
and now have the curious situation of not being able to login at the desktop,
but I'm able to remote login from home.

So far the IT guy has not been able to locate the problem.
Have you some ideas on where to look and what info. I should provide
... might the GRUB file have been over written?
     If so, will a sudo command fix it?

Regards,
Greg Gamble

Re: Unable to login after upgrade

Bret Busby-2
On 30/10/2020, Gregory Gamble <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I wonder if you have advice on what to check out.
>
> On my "work" computer, I recently did the upgrade from 18.04 to 20.04
> and now have the curious situation of not being able to login at the
> desktop,
> but I'm able to remote login from home.
>
> So far the IT guy has not been able to locate the problem.
> Have you some ideas on where to look and what info. I should provide
> ... might the GRUB file have been over written?
>      If so, will a sudo command fix it?
>
> Regards,
> Greg Gamble

If you are able to log in remotely, and, would be able to do it, I
recommend upgrading from 20.04 to 20.10.

I found 20.04 to be buggy, and, 20.10 to be the bug fix for 20.04
(apart from the thunderbird being broken).

20.04 seemed to be a beta version, even in 20.04.1.

20.10 is what 20.04.1 should have been (apart from the thunderbird issue).

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

Re: Unable to login after upgrade

Volker Wysk
Am Freitag, den 30.10.2020, 09:10 +0000 schrieb Gregory Gamble:

> Dear list,
>
> I wonder if you have advice on what to check out.
>
> On my "work" computer, I recently did the upgrade from 18.04 to 20.04
> and now have the curious situation of not being able to login at the desktop,
> but I'm able to remote login from home.
>
> So far the IT guy has not been able to locate the problem.
> Have you some ideas on where to look and what info. I should provide
> ... might the GRUB file have been over written?
>      If so, will a sudo command fix it?
What exactly happens, when you try to login at your desktop?

Bye
Volker

Re: Unable to login after upgrade

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Freitag, den 30.10.2020, 09:20 +0000 schrieb Bret Busby:

> On 30/10/2020, Gregory Gamble <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Dear list,
> >
> > I wonder if you have advice on what to check out.
> >
> > On my "work" computer, I recently did the upgrade from 18.04 to
> > 20.04
> > and now have the curious situation of not being able to login at
> > the
> > desktop,
> > but I'm able to remote login from home.
> >
> > So far the IT guy has not been able to locate the problem.
> > Have you some ideas on where to look and what info. I should
> > provide
> > ... might the GRUB file have been over written?
> >      If so, will a sudo command fix it?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Greg Gamble
> >

> If you are able to log in remotely, and, would be able to do it, I
> recommend upgrading from 20.04 to 20.10.

if you recommend such a thing to LTS users you should really point out
that non LTS releases have only 9 months of support and force you to
stay on non-LTS releases and to do a release upgrade a lot more often

the relevant fixes will be backported to the LTS (in 20.04.2) if
someone properly reported them as bugs (did you report your issues ?)

ciao
        oli

Re: Unable to login after upgrade

Colin Law
On Fri, 30 Oct 2020 at 09:21, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you are able to log in remotely, and, would be able to do it, I
> recommend upgrading from 20.04 to 20.10.
>
> I found 20.04 to be buggy, and, 20.10 to be the bug fix for 20.04
> (apart from the thunderbird being broken).

I would not recommend upgrading to 20.10, I have found 20.04 to be
solid.  If you upgrade to 20.10 then you are committed to upgrading
every six months till the next LTS (22.04) arrives.  So unless you are
happy with that then stick with 20.04.

As Volker has suggested, tell us how you are trying to login and what happens.

If you make a new user are you able to login as that user?

Colin

On 30/10/2020, Oliver Grawert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hi,
> Am Freitag, den 30.10.2020, 09:20 +0000 schrieb Bret Busby:
>> On 30/10/2020, Gregory Gamble <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Dear list,
>> >
>> > I wonder if you have advice on what to check out.
>> >
>> > On my "work" computer, I recently did the upgrade from 18.04 to
>> > 20.04
>> > and now have the curious situation of not being able to login at
>> > the
>> > desktop,
>> > but I'm able to remote login from home.
>> >
>> > So far the IT guy has not been able to locate the problem.
>> > Have you some ideas on where to look and what info. I should
>> > provide
>> > ... might the GRUB file have been over written?
>> >      If so, will a sudo command fix it?
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > Greg Gamble
>> >

>> If you are able to log in remotely, and, would be able to do it, I
>> recommend upgrading from 20.04 to 20.10.
>>
> if you recommend such a thing to LTS users you should really point out
> that non LTS releases have only 9 months of support and force you to
> stay on non-LTS releases and to do a release upgrade a lot more often
>
> the relevant fixes will be backported to the LTS (in 20.04.2) if
> someone properly reported them as bugs (did you report your issues ?)
>
> ciao
> oli

All the 20.04 system errors, with marco, blueman, the nvidia detector,
etc, were reported using the faulty (no updates detected, even though
the systems were regularly updated as updates were notified) automated
system error reporter.

The 20.04 system errors made it seem so buggy that it appeared not
ready to have been released, with 20.10 being the apparent stable
version of 20.04 (apart from the thunderbird issue).

The thunderbird issue on 20.10 has also been reported to the ubuntu
thunderbird package maintainers.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

Am Freitag, den 30.10.2020, 12:07 +0000 schrieb Bret Busby:

> All the 20.04 system errors, with marco, blueman, the nvidia
> detector,
> etc, were reported

do you have any bug numbers, i'd happily point the desktop team to them
... especially given the fact that i run 20.04 on a lot of machines
(including nvidia based ones) and can not see any of these bugs over
here ... (though i dont use things like the conflicting blueman (which
most likely requires to remove/disable (parts of) the integrated system
bluetooth management tools))

> The 20.04 system errors made it seem so buggy that it appeared not
> ready to have been released, with 20.10 being the apparent stable
> version of 20.04 (apart from the thunderbird issue).

did you cosider that it might be caused by a mis-configuration on your
side ? there are lierally tens of millions of ubuntu users and i'd
assume there would be *lots* of bug reports if it was as unstable as
you seem to have experienced it ...

> The thunderbird issue on 20.10 has also been reported to the ubuntu
> thunderbird package maintainers.

this seems to be a bug in the language packs for thundebird, not in
thunderbird itself and seems to be in the process of being fixed (a
workaround is also posted on the bug report already (re-install your
respective thunderbird language pack)) ...

note though that the desktop team is likely focusing on the thunderbird
snap in the future (it was officially moved to "canonical maintained"
last week)

ciao
        oli

Re: Unable to login after upgrade

Chris Green
On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 09:10:42AM +0000, Gregory Gamble wrote:

>    Dear list,
>
>    I wonder if you have advice on what to check out.
>
>    On my "work" computer, I recently did the upgrade from 18.04 to 20.04
>
>    and now have the curious situation of not being able to login at the
>    desktop,
>
>    but I'm able to remote login from home.
>
>    So far the IT guy has not been able to locate the problem.
>
>    Have you some ideas on where to look and what info. I should provide
>
>    ... might the GRUB file have been over written?
>
>         If so, will a sudo command fix it?

If you really can log in from home then the computer is running, grub
must have worked.

When you say you can't log in at the desktop what do you mean, no
login screen, incorrect password, or what?

Incorrect password is often down to a wrongly mapped keyboard.  Try
entering a user name and see if all the characters used in your
password appear correctly.

--
Chris Green

Re: Unable to login after upgrade

Bret Busby-2
On 30/10/2020, Oliver Grawert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hi,
> Am Freitag, den 30.10.2020, 12:07 +0000 schrieb Bret Busby:
>>
>> All the 20.04 system errors, with marco, blueman, the nvidia
>> detector,
>> etc, were reported
>
> do you have any bug numbers, i'd happily point the desktop team to them
> ... especially given the fact that i run 20.04 on a lot of machines
> (including nvidia based ones) and can not see any of these bugs over
> here ... (though i dont use things like the conflicting blueman (which
> most likely requires to remove/disable (parts of) the integrated system
> bluetooth management tools))
>
>> The 20.04 system errors made it seem so buggy that it appeared not
>> ready to have been released, with 20.10 being the apparent stable
>> version of 20.04 (apart from the thunderbird issue).
>
> did you cosider that it might be caused by a mis-configuration on your
> side ? there are lierally tens of millions of ubuntu users and i'd
> assume there would be *lots* of bug reports if it was as unstable as
> you seem to have experienced it ...
>

>> The thunderbird issue on 20.10 has also been reported to the ubuntu
>> thunderbird package maintainers.
>>
> this seems to be a bug in the language packs for thundebird, not in
> thunderbird itself and seems to be in the process of being fixed (a
> workaround is also posted on the bug report already (re-install your
> respective thunderbird language pack)) ...
>
> note though that the desktop team is likely focusing on the thunderbird
> snap in the future (it was officially moved to "canonical maintained"
> last week)
>
> ciao
> oli

I am no longer running 20.04 on any of my computers.

I am running 20.10 on two computers, and 16.04.x on this, my most
powerful computer.

On booting 20.04, each time it was booted, I would get a series of
Ubuntu system errors (that showed in the taskbar with a splat icon in
the button for selecting them), that opened dialogue boxes with
something like "Ubuntu has experienced a system error", and options
including "Show details", and "Send" and "Do not send". When I
selected the "Show details", it would take a few minutes, and then
display some information, at which stage, I would select "Send".
Sometimes, after doing that, I would get another system error
notification, for apparently, the same error. I was not notified of
any bug report identifier. And, sometimes, I would simply get an error
notification, with text something like "Ubuntu has experienced an
error. Report it? <No><Yes>", with no details other than that, and, no
option for finding what was the error.

When I updated, the errors kept coming, with the error notifications,
other than the one that concealed the details, occurring every time
the systems were booted/rebooted.

When I upgraded to 20.10, the error notifications no longer appeared.

Whilst I always selected the send error report options, I did not
receive any indication of any bug report. The bugs persisted in 20.04,
and were eliminated upon upgrading to 20.10 .

Whilst 20.10 may be officially regarded as an "Interim" rather than an
LTS release, as I have said, so far, apart from the thunderbird issue,
20.10 appears to be more stable than 20.04 .

One of the 20.10 installations is on a desktop computer with an i3
CPU, Intel inboard graphics, and 32GB RAM; the other 20.10
installation is on an Acer Aspire 5750G "laptop" computer, with an i5
CPU with Intel inboard graphics and an nVidia GPU and 16GB RAM.

The 16.04.x installation is on an Acer Asdpire V3-772G "laptop"
computer, with an i7 CPU, Intel inboard graphics and an nVidia GPU and
32GB of RAM, and, I am intending to keep the 16.04 installation active
on this computer (I also have 20.10 installed on it, as I wanted to
check that it would work okay on this computer), for as long as I can,
as it has a web browser that is more advanced that any web browser
since; midori 0.5.11, which allows each window (in private browsing)
to operate completely independently of every other browser window,
resulting in greater stability - when one crashes, it does not affect
the others.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

On Fri, 30 Oct 2020 at 14:06, Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Incorrect password is often down to a wrongly mapped keyboard.  Try
> entering a user name and see if all the characters used in your
> password appear correctly.

In addition the password entry field has a Show button at the right
hand side that allows the password to be seen.

Colin

On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 22:03, Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 09:10:42AM +0000, Gregory Gamble wrote:
> >    Dear list,
> >
> >    I wonder if you have advice on what to check out.
> >
> >    On my "work" computer, I recently did the upgrade from 18.04 to 20.04
> >
> >    and now have the curious situation of not being able to login at the
> >    desktop,
> >
> >    but I'm able to remote login from home.
> >
> >    So far the IT guy has not been able to locate the problem.
> >
> >    Have you some ideas on where to look and what info. I should provide
> >
> >    ... might the GRUB file have been over written?
> >
> >         If so, will a sudo command fix it?
> >
> If you really can log in from home then the computer is running, grub
> must have worked.

Thanks for that. I was clutching at straws at what might be different
logging remotely vs at the terminal.
So a GRUB over-writing is not the problem.

> When you say you can't log in at the desktop what do you mean, no
> login screen, incorrect password, or what?

On the desktop it shows my name as a user.
Essentially, it has accepted previouslu my ID (a 8-didit no.)
... and shows my name: Greory Gamble
Clicking on that it prompts for my password
... if I put in the wrong password, I get the usual diagnostic: wrong password
... if I put in the right password, it just cycles back,
    to the password prompt.
... For good measure, the innovation with 20.04 is that you can select
    a screen keyboard. So I did that, and 'keyed' in the password,
    by pointing and clicking with the mouse, with the same result.

So I assume from that, that my correct password has been recognised,
but for whatever reason it can't get past the login screen.

> Incorrect password is often down to a wrongly mapped keyboard.  Try
> entering a user name and see if all the characters used in your
> password appear correctly.

Yes, I have had a keyboard in the past that had a key that didn't work.
But I think the above shows that a wrongly mapped keyboard is not the problem.

When I remote login, I do:

ssh <ID No>@<IP address>

... if that helps.

I don't really get what is so different about desktop login vs a remote login.
If there's a problem, it's usually the other way round, because the
network is too strict.

I may try a 20.10 upgrade
...is it easy to reverse to 20.04.02 if one does that?
Everything else seems to work fine, when I remote login.

What other things can I do after logging in remotely,
that might give you helpful info. for the desktop login?
I'll next be able to try a desktop login in a little more than 6 hours,
if there is a change that I can initiate from a remote login.

Am Freitag, den 30.10.2020, 18:30 +0000 schrieb Gregory Gamble:

> On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 22:03, Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 09:10:42AM +0000, Gregory Gamble wrote:
> > >    Dear list,
> > >
> > >    I wonder if you have advice on what to check out.
> > >
> > >    On my "work" computer, I recently did the upgrade from 18.04 to 20.04
> > >
> > >    and now have the curious situation of not being able to login at the
> > >    desktop,
> > >
> > >    but I'm able to remote login from home.
> > >
> > >    So far the IT guy has not been able to locate the problem.
> > >
> > >    Have you some ideas on where to look and what info. I should provide
> > >
> > >    ... might the GRUB file have been over written?
> > >
> > >         If so, will a sudo command fix it?
> > >
> > If you really can log in from home then the computer is running, grub
> > must have worked.
>
> Thanks for that. I was clutching at straws at what might be different
> logging remotely vs at the terminal.
> So a GRUB over-writing is not the problem.
>
> > When you say you can't log in at the desktop what do you mean, no
> > login screen, incorrect password, or what?
>
> On the desktop it shows my name as a user.
> Essentially, it has accepted previouslu my ID (a 8-didit no.)
> ... and shows my name: Greory Gamble
> Clicking on that it prompts for my password
> ... if I put in the wrong password, I get the usual diagnostic: wrong password
> ... if I put in the right password, it just cycles back,
>     to the password prompt.
> ... For good measure, the innovation with 20.04 is that you can select
>     a screen keyboard. So I did that, and 'keyed' in the password,
>     by pointing and clicking with the mouse, with the same result.
>
> So I assume from that, that my correct password has been recognised,
> but for whatever reason it can't get past the login screen.
>
> > Incorrect password is often down to a wrongly mapped keyboard.  Try
> > entering a user name and see if all the characters used in your
> > password appear correctly.
>
> Yes, I have had a keyboard in the past that had a key that didn't work.
> But I think the above shows that a wrongly mapped keyboard is not the problem.
>
> When I remote login, I do:
>
> ssh <ID No>@<IP address>
>
> ... if that helps.
>
> I don't really get what is so different about desktop login vs a remote login.
> If there's a problem, it's usually the other way round, because the
> network is too strict.
>
> I may try a 20.10 upgrade
> ...is it easy to reverse to 20.04.02 if one does that?
> Everything else seems to work fine, when I remote login.
>
> What other things can I do after logging in remotely,
> that might give you helpful info. for the desktop login?
> I'll next be able to try a desktop login in a little more than 6 hours,
> if there is a change that I can initiate from a remote login.
Login remotely, as root. Then try to log in locally, in your desktop. Then
take a look at the logfiles.

ls -l --sort=time /var/log 2>/dev/null| head -n 20

This lists the 20 most recently changed things in /var/log. The more recent
ones could reveal clues of that's gone wrong.

Good luck,
Volker

Am Freitag, den 30.10.2020, 19:42 +0100 schrieb Volker Wysk:
> Login remotely, as root. Then try to log in locally, in your desktop. Then
> take a look at the logfiles.
>
> ls -l --sort=time /var/log 2>/dev/null| head -n 20
>
> This lists the 20 most recently changed things in /var/log. The more recent
> ones could reveal clues of that's gone wrong.

In my system I have the directory /var/log/gdm3, which is empty. Perhaps
there is something in it on your system?

And, can you choose a different session in the login screen, when logging in
locally?

I guess your display manager is gdm3. From what you've written, I looks like
it can't start your session after login. There must sure be a place where it
logs errors. Such as /var/log/gdm3.

Bye,
Volker

Am Freitag, den 30.10.2020, 19:54 +0100 schrieb Volker Wysk:

> Am Freitag, den 30.10.2020, 19:42 +0100 schrieb Volker Wysk:
> > Login remotely, as root. Then try to log in locally, in your desktop. Then
> > take a look at the logfiles.
> >
> > ls -l --sort=time /var/log 2>/dev/null| head -n 20
> >
> > This lists the 20 most recently changed things in /var/log. The more recent
> > ones could reveal clues of that's gone wrong.
>
> In my system I have the directory /var/log/gdm3, which is empty. Perhaps
> there is something in it on your system?
>
> And, can you choose a different session in the login screen, when logging in
> locally?
>
> I guess your display manager is gdm3. From what you've written, I looks like
> it can't start your session after login. There must sure be a place where it
> logs errors. Such as /var/log/gdm3.
One more thought. Can you login in a virtual console?

Cheers,
Volker

Re: Unable to login after upgrade

Peter Silva
it could well be authentication, but another possibility is that it could also be your graphical login environment is just broken by a configuration issue...
To test that, one think you could try is to log in remotely, mv ~/.config ~/.config.save ,
then logout.  Then try logging in locally, if it works, you then have to figure out which .config file is the problem.

On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 06:30:26PM +0000, Gregory Gamble wrote:

>    On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 22:03, Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:
>    > On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 09:10:42AM +0000, Gregory Gamble wrote:
>    > >    Dear list,
>    > >
>    > >    I wonder if you have advice on what to check out.
>    > >
>    > >    On my "work" computer, I recently did the upgrade from 18.04 to
>    20.04
>    > >
>    > >    and now have the curious situation of not being able to login at
>    the
>    > >    desktop,
>    > >
>    > >    but I'm able to remote login from home.
>    > >
>    > >    So far the IT guy has not been able to locate the problem.
>    > >
>    > >    Have you some ideas on where to look and what info. I should
>    provide
>    > >
>    > >    ... might the GRUB file have been over written?
>    > >
>    > >         If so, will a sudo command fix it?
>    > >
>    > If you really can log in from home then the computer is running, grub
>    > must have worked.
>    Thanks for that. I was clutching at straws at what might be different
>    logging remotely vs at the terminal.
>    So a GRUB over-writing is not the problem.
>    > When you say you can't log in at the desktop what do you mean, no
>    > login screen, incorrect password, or what?
>    On the desktop it shows my name as a user.
>    Essentially, it has accepted previouslu my ID (a 8-didit no.)
>    ... and shows my name: Greory Gamble
>    Clicking on that it prompts for my password
>    ... if I put in the wrong password, I get the usual diagnostic: wrong
>    password
>    ... if I put in the right password, it just cycles back,
>        to the password prompt.

It sounds as if X (the GUI) is crashing for some reason.

Get a console login (either by using a remote login or by CTRL/ALT/Fn
with n = 1 to 6) and take a look at the file .xsession-errors in your
home directory.  That should give a clue as to what is wrong, hopefully.

--
Chris Green

Re: Unable to login after upgrade

30 October 2020  at 15:28, Peter Silva wrote:
Re: Unable to login after upgrade (at least in part)

You vould try another keyboard, as you can't "see" what is entered?

or maybe the keyboard map is off post upgrade, same effect,

On Fri, 30 Oct 2020 at 18:33, Gregory Gamble <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ... if I put in the right password, it just cycles back,
>     to the password prompt.

To the password prompt or the user selection screen?

> I don't really get what is so different about desktop login vs a remote login.
> If there's a problem, it's usually the other way round, because the
> network is too strict.

I imagine what is happening is that you are logging in but then X (or
something) is crashing and logging you out again. It could be a
graphics drive issue I think.

Log in remotely and watch syslog
tail -f /var/log/syslog

Then try and login locally and see what appears in syslog.

> I may try a 20.10 upgrade
> ...is it easy to reverse to 20.04.02 if one does that?

No, not as far as I know.  In fact I suspect it is not possible.

Colin

On Fri, 30 Oct 2020 at 10:13, Gregory Gamble <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I wonder if you have advice on what to check out.
>
> On my "work" computer, I recently did the upgrade from 18.04 to 20.04
> and now have the curious situation of not being able to login at the desktop,
> but I'm able to remote login from home.
>
> So far the IT guy has not been able to locate the problem.
> Have you some ideas on where to look and what info. I should provide
> ... might the GRUB file have been over written?

No. It is booting fine, from what you describe.

As someone else has said, when you log in, the desktop immediately
crashes, so you just go back to the login prompt.

>      If so, will a sudo command fix it?

It's a bit hard to say until we know what's happening!

I mean, probably, yes, but which one?

First things first. Forget all this mucking about with external keyboards.

Just press Ctrl+Alt+F2 (or F3...F6) at the login screen, and try to
log in on the text console.

If it works, and it probably will, you can do an update from there:

sudo -s
apt update
apt full-upgrade -y
apt autoremove -y
apt clean

This will clear out a lot of leftovers from the system upgrade and
probably free up a couple of gigs of disk space. Your problem could
conceivably be as simple as a full disk.

From here, you can reboot with Ctrl+Alt+Del.

But more importantly, once you can log in on the console, you can look
at log files and work out why the desktop is crashing.

Email: [hidden email] – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: [hidden email]

Re: Re: Unable to login after upgrade

Gregory Gamble
On Sat, 31 Oct 2020 at 18:20, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Oct 2020 at 10:13, Gregory Gamble <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Dear list,
> >
> > I wonder if you have advice on what to check out.
> >
> > On my "work" computer, I recently did the upgrade from 18.04 to 20.04
> > and now have the curious situation of not being able to login at the desktop,
> > but I'm able to remote login from home.
> >
> > So far the IT guy has not been able to locate the problem.
> > Have you some ideas on where to look and what info. I should provide
> > ... might the GRUB file have been over written?
>
> No. It is booting fine, from what you describe.
>
> As someone else has said, when you log in, the desktop immediately
> crashes, so you just go back to the login prompt.
>
> >      If so, will a sudo command fix it?
>
> It's a bit hard to say until we know what's happening!
>
> I mean, probably, yes, but which one?
>
> First things first. Forget all this mucking about with external keyboards.
>
> Just press Ctrl+Alt+F2 (or F3...F6) at the login screen, and try to
> log in on the text console.

Indeed. Thanks. Apologies for the delay in reply.
I had a few minutes to try Chris's suggestion of the text console login
this morning, before being otherwise engaged most of the day,
and yes, I was able to login at the desktop via Ctrl+Alt+F2.

I tried typing X which crashed.
So as diagnosed, the desktop crashing is the problem.

I had looked at Volker's suggestion of looking at the log file for gdm3
prior to this, but like Volker /var/log/gdm3 for me is empty.

> If it works, and it probably will, you can do an update from there:
>
> sudo -s
> apt update
> apt full-upgrade -y
> apt autoremove -y
> apt clean

I didn't do the above from the console, but I just did the above
via a remote login, and instead of:

apt full-upgrade -y

which failed with:

E: Invalid operation full-ugrade

I did:

apt upgrade -f -y

which I presume is the same.

> This will clear out a lot of leftovers from the system upgrade and
> probably free up a couple of gigs of disk space. Your problem could
> conceivably be as simple as a full disk.

I'm not sure that a full disk was the problem, but after the above,
here is what df gives (I 'sanitised' a couple of lines):

root@<machine>:<home-dir># df
Filesystem                         1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
udev                                 3998028         0   3998028   0% /dev
tmpfs                                 805656      3212    802444   1% /run
/dev/sda1                          479668904  20867708 434365588   5% /
tmpfs                                4028268         0   4028268   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs                                   5120         4      5116   1% /run/lock
tmpfs                                4028268         0   4028268   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/loop1                              9344      9344         0 100% /snap/canonical-livepatch/94
/dev/loop3                             56704     56704         0 100% /snap/core18/1932
/dev/loop2                            144128    144128         0 100% /snap/gnome-3-26-1604/98
/dev/loop0                            100096    100096         0 100% /snap/core/10126
/dev/loop5                            165376    165376         0 100% /snap/gnome-3-28-1804/128
/dev/loop7                            100096    100096         0 100% /snap/core/10185
/dev/loop9                              1024      1024         0 100% /snap/gnome-logs/100
/dev/loop8                            261760    261760         0 100% /snap/gnome-3-34-1804/36
/dev/loop10                           166784    166784         0 100% /snap/gnome-3-28-1804/145
/dev/loop13                              384       384         0 100% /snap/gnome-characters/570
/dev/loop11                              384       384         0 100% /snap/gnome-characters/550
/dev/loop12                             2304      2304         0 100% /snap/gnome-system-monitor/148
/dev/loop14                             2304      2304         0 100% /snap/gnome-system-monitor/145
/dev/loop6                             56704     56704         0 100% /snap/core18/1885
/dev/loop16                             2560      2560         0 100% /snap/gnome-calculator/826
/dev/loop18                             2560      2560         0 100% /snap/gnome-calculator/748
/dev/loop17                            56192     56192         0 100% /snap/gtk-common-themes/1502
/dev/loop15                           223232    223232         0 100% /snap/gnome-3-34-1804/60
/dev/loop4                            144128    144128         0 100% /snap/gnome-3-26-1604/100
/dev/loop19                            63616     63616         0 100% /snap/gtk-common-themes/1506
/dev/loop20                             9344      9344         0 100% /snap/canonical-livepatch/95
/dev/loop21                             1024      1024         0 100% /snap/gnome-logs/93
tmpfs                                 805652        24    805628   1% /run/user/121
//<remote-machine>/WWW 264817656 249411244  15406412  95% /mnt/staffhome-www

> From here, you can reboot with Ctrl+Alt+Del.
>
> But more importantly, once you can log in on the console, you can look
> at log files and work out why the desktop is crashing.

I'll do a 'shutdown -r now' in a minute, but for now, I recall the diagnostic this morning from the
X crash suggested the log file .local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log which has the following
(again I 'sanitised' a few lines):

X.Org X Server 1.20.8
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
[  5001.443] Build Operating System: Linux 4.15.0-115-generic x86_64 Ubuntu
[  5001.443] Current Operating System: Linux <machine-name> 5.4.0-52-generic #57-Ubuntu SMP Thu Oct 15 10:57:00 UTC 202
0 x86_64
[  5001.443] Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.4.0-52-generic root=UUID=ad555ae0-6e95-492d-9e07-70b0
304ff6bb ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
[  5001.443] Build Date: 04 September 2020  01:34:27PM
[  5001.443] xorg-server 2:1.20.8-2ubuntu2.4 (For technical support please see http://www.ubuntu.com/support)
[  5001.443] Current version of pixman: 0.38.4
[  5001.443]    Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
[  5001.443] Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
[  5001.444] (==) Log file: "<home-dir>/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sat Oct
[  5001.444] (==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
[  5001.444] (==) No Layout section.  Using the first Screen section.
[  5001.444] (==) No screen section available. Using defaults.
[  5001.444] (**) |-->Screen "Default Screen Section" (0)
[  5001.444] (**) |   |-->Monitor "<default monitor>"
[  5001.444] (==) No monitor specified for screen "Default Screen Section".
        Using a default monitor configuration.
[  5001.444] (==) Automatically adding devices
[  5001.444] (==) Automatically enabling devices
[  5001.444] (==) Automatically adding GPU devices
[  5001.444] (==) Automatically binding GPU devices
[  5001.444] (==) Max clients allowed: 256, resource mask: 0x1fffff
[  5001.444] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic" does not exist.
[  5001.444]    Entry deleted from font path.
[  5001.444] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/" does not exist.
[  5001.444]    Entry deleted from font path.
[  5001.444] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/" does not exist.
[  5001.444]    Entry deleted from font path.
[  5001.444] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi" does not exist.
[  5001.444]    Entry deleted from font path.
[  5001.444] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi" does not exist.
[  5001.444]    Entry deleted from font path.
[  5001.444] (==) FontPath set to:
        /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc,
        /usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1,
        built-ins
[  5001.445] (==) ModulePath set to "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
[  5001.445] (II) The server relies on udev to provide the list of input devices.
        If no devices become available, reconfigure udev or disable AutoAddDevices.
[  5001.445] (II) Loader magic: 0x562b4d3a9020[  5001.445] (II) Module ABI versions:
[  5001.445]    X.Org ANSI C Emulation: 0.4
[  5001.445]    X.Org Video Driver: 24.1
[  5001.445]    X.Org XInput driver : 24.1
[  5001.445]    X.Org Server Extension : 10.0
[  5001.446] (EE) systemd-logind: failed to get session: PID 2489 does not belong to any known session
[  5001.447] (II) xfree86: Adding drm device (/dev/dri/card0)
[  5001.449] (--) PCI:*(0@0:2:0) 8086:0412:103c:18e4 rev 6, Mem @ 0xf7800000/4194304, 0xe0000000/268435456, I/O @
0x0000f000/64, BIOS @ 0x????????/131072
[  5001.449] (II) LoadModule: "glx"
[  5001.449] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
[  5001.450] (II) Module glx: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[  5001.450]    compiled for 1.20.8, module version = 1.0.0
[  5001.450]    ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 10.0
[  5001.450] (==) Matched modesetting as autoconfigured driver 0
[  5001.450] (==) Matched fbdev as autoconfigured driver 1
[  5001.450] (==) Matched vesa as autoconfigured driver 2
[  5001.450] (==) Assigned the driver to the xf86ConfigLayout
[  5001.450] (II) LoadModule: "modesetting"
[  5001.450] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/modesetting_drv.so

[  5001.450] (II) Module modesetting: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[  5001.450]    compiled for 1.20.8, module version = 1.20.8
[  5001.450]    Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[  5001.450]    ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 24.1
[  5001.450] (II) LoadModule: "fbdev"
[  5001.450] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fbdev_drv.so
[  5001.450] (II) Module fbdev: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[  5001.450]    compiled for 1.20.1, module version = 0.5.0
[  5001.450]    Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[  5001.450]    ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 24.0
[  5001.450] (II) LoadModule: "vesa"
[  5001.450] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/vesa_drv.so
[  5001.450] (II) Module vesa: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[  5001.450]    compiled for 1.20.4, module version = 2.4.0
[  5001.450]    Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[  5001.450]    ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 24.0
[  5001.450] (II) modesetting: Driver for Modesetting Kernel Drivers: kms
[  5001.450] (II) FBDEV: driver for framebuffer: fbdev
[  5001.450] (II) VESA: driver for VESA chipsets: vesa
[  5001.450] (EE)
Fatal server error:
[  5001.450] (EE) parse_vt_settings: Cannot open /dev/tty0 (Permission denied)
[  5001.450] (EE)
[  5001.451] (EE)
Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
         at http://wiki.x.org
 for help.
[  5001.451] (EE) Please also check the log file at "<home-dir>/.local/share/xorg/Xor
g.0.log" for additional information.
[  5001.451] (EE)
[  5001.451] (WW) xf86CloseConsole: KDSETMODE failed: Bad file descriptor
[  5001.451] (WW) xf86CloseConsole: VT_GETMODE failed: Bad file descriptor
[  5001.451] (EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.

Is there anything helpful there?

Thanks everyone for your help.
I guess I should have know about the console login idea.
This was such a great hint.

Regards,
Greg Gamble