Unix equivalent of windows terminal server options?

Unix equivalent of windows terminal server options?

asad

I want to replace Windows terminal server mostly due to cost reasons license cost for 2100 users goes out of roof.

The end-user is all windows but I want a jump server that is UNIX based , I have some experience with VNC but I don't want options exists in UNIX to run a terminal services for 2100 users. Some of the basic requirement for such a setup be:-

  • use of browser to access web based application
  • Restrict or limit desktop application based upon user authorization.
  • Supporting concurrent users for about 1200 per server.

Please let me know how should I go about.

regards

asad

Re: Unix equivalent of windows terminal server options?

Ralf Mardorf-2
Hi,

sorry, I can't help you, but somebody from this list most likely could
and will do soon.

My reply is off-topic, since I only want to remind that Linux is not
UNIX based. Linux is UNIX-like, but even not full POSIX. Linux is
partly POSIX compliant.

Regards,
Ralf

Re: Unix equivalent of windows terminal server options?

asad
Hi Ralf

I respect your views, infact I want option that can run on Ubuntu and I'm totally fine with it.

regards
asad

On 28 Jan 2017 00:45, "Ralf Mardorf" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

sorry, I can't help you, but somebody from this list most likely could
and will do soon.

My reply is off-topic, since I only want to remind that Linux is not
UNIX based. Linux is UNIX-like, but even not full POSIX. Linux is
partly POSIX compliant.

Regards,
Ralf

Re: Unix equivalent of windows terminal server options?

Robert Heller
What you are looking for is a remote desktop.  Do a web search for "remote
desktop".

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933

Re: Unix equivalent of windows terminal server options?

asad
Hi Heller

Thxs yes  need remote desktop e.g RDP like protocol for Unix server.

regards
asad

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Custom Software Services

Re: Unix equivalent of windows terminal server options?

Karl Auer
On Fri, 2017-01-27 at 23:41 +0500, asad wrote:

> I want to replace *Windows terminal server* mostly due to cost
> reasons license cost for 2100 users goes out of roof.
>
> The end-user is all windows but I want a jump server that is UNIX
> based [...] to run a terminal services for 2100 users.
> Some of the basic requirement for such a setup be:-
>
>    - use of browser to access web based application
>    - Restrict or limit desktop application based upon user
> authorization.
>    - Supporting concurrent users for about 1200 per server.

Remote access to a Linux system is no problem at all - ssh, and run
whatever programs you like including X programs. The X server is on the
client. In my experience X really likes a fast network, and it not very
good on slow ones, especially for graphics-intensive things, which
these days is almost everything. For Windows users, this is not useful,
because Windows is not an X server, and you probably don't want to have
to install one on every Windows system (though there are free ones).

That leaves RDP or VNC.

Linux supports both RDP and VNC, but doesn't (out of the box) support
multiple users. As far as I know there is no way to use VNC with
multiple simultaneous users. There is a system called XRDP which does
support multiple RDP users, and is easy to install, though with some
restrictions on the window managers you can use. If you log in via
XRDP, you will get your own Linux desktop, with access to Linux
programs and features, and you will be using a Linux window manager,
not Windows.

One big question is authentication. If you are expecting to
authenticate against AD, Linux does support that via Samba. The AD
features are not comprehensive but for straight AD authentication it
should work fine. For non-AD username/password access it will work fine
too; you can even add MFA to the mix if you wish.

The biggest question is what applications your 2100 users will be
running on this server. A primary function of Windows TS is to provide
multiple users, simultaneously, with their own remote desktop, on which
they can run whatever *Windows* applications are available on the
server. Linux cannot provide that for Windows applications in any
general sense.

Linux CAN provide that in a few cases. Those cases are: Where the
program to be run has a Linux version (for example, Firefox); where
there is a good alternative Linux program (for example, LibreOffice
instead of MSOffice); where the Windows program to be run can be run
successfully under WINE.

Controlling access to specific applications on a user-by-user basis is
possible but fiddly; definitely not as point-an-click as Windows. I
have *never* done it myself, but I imagine you would create one group
for each application, and set the permissions on the executable to "-
rwxr-xr--". Not at all sure how you would do it with WINE applications
- perhaps by controlling access to the directory containing the
executable?

Your basic requirements suggest that a TS-style system may not actually
be needed. All clients have a web browser anyway, why go to a central
system to run one? Or are your clients outside the enterprise? Why do
they need to go to a TS to run desktop applications? It will be faster
if they run them locally and just centralise file access if needed.

Finally - don't be too sure you really need 2100 CALs. Ask around and
talk to Microsoft or your Microsoft reseller.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer ([hidden email])
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: A52E F6B9 708B 51C4 85E6 1634 0571 ADF9 3C1C 6A3A
Old fingerprint: E00D 64ED 9C6A 8605 21E0 0ED0 EE64 2BEE CBCB C38B

At Sat, 28 Jan 2017 01:04:35 +0500 asad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Heller
>
> Thxs yes  need remote desktop e.g RDP like protocol for Unix server.

The standard GUI subsystem for Posix (UNIX / Linux) is called X and it already
uses a networked protocol.  The X library and all of the toolkits layered
above it sends graphics commands and listens for input events (keyboard input,
pointer movement and clicks) through a socket (either a local UNIX socket or a
Tcp/Ip socket).  The actual display / keyboard / mouse is encapsulated by
somethine called an X server, which is just a program that runs on the other
side of the socket from the X library.

It is possible to install an "X Server" application under MS-Windows and set
up this server to "log in" to a Posix (UNIX/Linux) machine (connecting to one
of xdm, gdm, kdm, lightdm, etc.). Then applications can be run on the
UNIX/Linux machine with the local machine as the display/keyboard/mouse for
the UNIX/Linux application. There are various ways to restrict a user as to
what applications they are allowed to use.

> regards
> asad
>
> On 28 Jan 2017 00:59, "Robert Heller" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> What you are looking for is a remote desktop.  Do a web search for "remote
> desktop".
>
> At Fri, 27 Jan 2017 23:41:08 +0500 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for
> general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > I want to replace *Windows terminal server* mostly due to cost reasons
> > license cost for 2100 users goes out of roof.
> >
> > The end-user is all windows but I want a jump server that is UNIX based ,
> > have some experience with VNC but I don't want options exists in UNIX to
> > run a terminal services for 2100 users. Some of the basic requirement for
> > such a setup be:-
> >
> >    - use of browser to access web based application
> >    - Restrict or limit desktop application based upon user authorization.
> >    - Supporting concurrent users for about 1200 per server.
> >
> > Please let me know how should I go about.
> >

> > regards
> >
> > asad

> --
> Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
> Deepwoods Software        -- Custom Software Services
> http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Linux Administration Services
> [hidden email]       -- Webhosting Services

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933

Re: Unix equivalent of windows terminal server options?

Karl Auer
On Fri, 2017-01-27 at 23:41 +0500, asad wrote:
> I want to replace *Windows terminal server*

Take a look at these links too. I haven't evaluated any of these, but
they look interesting, though I don't think any of them offer Windows
application access. Bear in mind that all these solutions can be run up
on a cloud-based server e.g. on AWS.

https://www.nomachine.com/terminal-server

http://www.ltsp.org/

http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/setupltsp.shtml

https://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-set-up-a-terminal-server-in-linux-usi
ng-ubuntu-9.10-and-freenx

https://www.turnkeylinux.org/domain-controller

http://www.zentyal.org/

http://www.zentyal.com/

Regards, K.

Karl Auer ([hidden email])
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: A52E F6B9 708B 51C4 85E6 1634 0571 ADF9 3C1C 6A3A
Old fingerprint: E00D 64ED 9C6A 8605 21E0 0ED0 EE64 2BEE CBCB C38B

Re: Unix equivalent of windows terminal server options?

asad
Thanks Karl,

The web-application is ORACLE CRM, and it works on Internet explorer only. The users type is remote VPN. The reason to run terminal services is because it would be running a "security agent" that be recording all user activities and sessions.

For license I have checked I need two type licenses

Window Server 2016 DVC CAL OLP

Window remote Desktop Services DVC CAL 2016

Thanks

On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 2:12 AM, Robert Heller <[hidden email]> wrote:
At Sat, 28 Jan 2017 01:04:35 +0500 asad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Heller
>
> Thxs yes  need remote desktop e.g RDP like protocol for Unix server.

The standard GUI subsystem for Posix (UNIX / Linux) is called X and it already
uses a networked protocol.  The X library and all of the toolkits layered
above it sends graphics commands and listens for input events (keyboard input,
pointer movement and clicks) through a socket (either a local UNIX socket or a
Tcp/Ip socket).  The actual display / keyboard / mouse is encapsulated by
somethine called an X server, which is just a program that runs on the other
side of the socket from the X library.

It is possible to install an "X Server" application under MS-Windows and set
up this server to "log in" to a Posix (UNIX/Linux) machine (connecting to one
of xdm, gdm, kdm, lightdm, etc.). Then applications can be run on the
UNIX/Linux machine with the local machine as the display/keyboard/mouse for
the UNIX/Linux application. There are various ways to restrict a user as to
what applications they are allowed to use.

Thanks,so "X-server" client can run on windows , what about its ability to manage simultaneous session.

> regards
> asad
>
> On 28 Jan 2017 00:59, "Robert Heller" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> What you are looking for is a remote desktop.  Do a web search for "remote
> desktop".
>
> At Fri, 27 Jan 2017 23:41:08 +0500 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for
> general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > I want to replace *Windows terminal server* mostly due to cost reasons
> > license cost for 2100 users goes out of roof.
> >
> > The end-user is all windows but I want a jump server that is UNIX based ,
> > have some experience with VNC but I don't want options exists in UNIX to
> > run a terminal services for 2100 users. Some of the basic requirement for
> > such a setup be:-
> >
> >    - use of browser to access web based application
> >    - Restrict or limit desktop application based upon user authorization.
> >    - Supporting concurrent users for about 1200 per server.
> >
> > Please let me know how should I go about.
> >

> > regards
> >
> > asad

> --
> Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
> Deepwoods Software        -- Custom Software Services
> http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Linux Administration Services
> [hidden email]       -- Webhosting Services

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Custom Software Services
[hidden email]       -- Webhosting Services

Re: Unix equivalent of windows terminal server options?

Peter Silva
apt-get install rdesktop

It is a windows remote desktop client for linux.  works fine. Use it all the time for talking to windows servers.

On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 12:23 AM, asad <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

executable?

Your basic requirements suggest that a TS-style system may not actually
be needed. All clients have a web browser anyway, why go to a central
system to run one? Or are your clients outside the enterprise? Why do
they need to go to a TS to run desktop applications? It will be faster
if they run them locally and just centralise file access if needed.

Finally - don't be too sure you really need 2100 CALs. Ask around and
talk to Microsoft or your Microsoft reseller.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer ([hidden email])
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: A52E F6B9 708B 51C4 85E6 1634 0571 ADF9 3C1C 6A3A
Old fingerprint: E00D 64ED 9C6A 8605 21E0 0ED0 EE64 2BEE CBCB C38B

Re: Unix equivalent of windows terminal server options?

Peter,
I want it the other way around, I want a linux to host remote desktop services not access a windows server?

On 27 January 2017 at 19:41, asad <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The end-user is all windows but I want a jump server that is UNIX based ,

What is a "jump server"?

You said below that the web app only runs in IE. IE doesn't run on
Linux. Therefore this is a non-starter.

I would _not_ recommend trying to run a WINE app on so many clients...