Unscheduled unattended boot

Phil Dobbin
Hi, all.

I upgraded my youngest son's HP desktop machine to Quantal & now, for
some unknown reason, it boots up at 06:30 every morning (I found out the
time of the boot after hearing its start-up password prompt when walking
past his bedroom door).

It happens every morning & I had been blaming him for it (I've got the
whole home LAN monitored by Nagios & all machines except mine are
powered off by via cron at 22:00 each night so I see its upstate from
Nagios every morning) but one this particular morning when I heard it
boot, he was fast asleep.

There's nothing installed like gwakeonlan or similar & I'm at a loss to
explain it. Both my wife & other two children are using Precise & they
do not have this particular problem.

Has anybody else experienced this?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

  Phil...

--
currently (ab)using
CentOS 5.8 & 6.3, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora Beefy, OS X Snow

0xF9137B0F.asc (2K) Download Attachment

Re: Unscheduled unattended boot

Matthew Sturdy

No dia 24 de Nov de 2012 10:29, "Phil Dobbin" <[hidden email]> escreveu:
For some unknown reason, it boots up at 06:30 every morning

hi,
I saw someone else with a similar problem recently, and there was a restart scheduled in the bios... Have you checked there?

Cheers

On 11/24/2012 12:34 PM, Matthew Sturdy wrote:

> No dia 24 de Nov de 2012 10:29, "Phil Dobbin" <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> escreveu:
> For some unknown reason, it boots up at 06:30 every morning
>
> hi,
> I saw someone else with a similar problem recently, and there was a
> restart scheduled in the bios... Have you checked there?

I must admit I hadn't thought to look there as I upgraded his machine
from Precise to Quantal & haven't been in the BIOS of the machine since
I first bought it some months ago.

It's a long shot (I can't see an OS upgrade altering the BIOS) but it's
worth a look. Thanks.

Cheers,

  Phil..

--
currently (ab)using
CentOS 5.8 & 6.3, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora Beefy, OS X Snow
Leopard & Ubuntu Precise & Quantal

0xF9137B0F.asc (2K) Download Attachment

Re: Unscheduled unattended boot

NoOp-4
On 11/24/2012 04:28 AM, Phil Dobbin wrote:

> Hi, all.
>
> I upgraded my youngest son's HP desktop machine to Quantal & now, for
> some unknown reason, it boots up at 06:30 every morning (I found out the
> time of the boot after hearing its start-up password prompt when walking
> past his bedroom door).
>
> It happens every morning & I had been blaming him for it (I've got the
> whole home LAN monitored by Nagios & all machines except mine are
> powered off by via cron at 22:00 each night so I see its upstate from
> Nagios every morning) but one this particular morning when I heard it
> boot, he was fast asleep.
>
> There's nothing installed like gwakeonlan or similar & I'm at a loss to
> explain it. Both my wife & other two children are using Precise & they
> do not have this particular problem.

You don't need gwakeonlan for the port to be triggered, or system power
on.

Double check:

$ sudo apt-get intall ethtool
(if you don't already have it installed)
$ sudo ethtoool ethx (x = 0,1,2 etc)

Check:
        Supports Wake-on:
        Wake-on:

$man ethtool:
<http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/precise/man8/ethtool.8.html>
 wol p|u|m|b|a|g|s|d...
              Sets Wake-on-LAN options.  Not all devices  support  this.
  The argument  to  this  option  is a string of characters specifying
              which options to enable.

              p   Wake on PHY activity
              u   Wake on unicast messages
              m   Wake on multicast messages
              b   Wake on broadcast messages
              a   Wake on ARP
              g   Wake on MagicPacket™
              s   Enable SecureOn™ password for MagicPacket™
              d   Disable (wake on  nothing).   This  option
                  clears all previous options.

If 'Wake-on' is set to anything other than 'd':
$ sudo ethtool -s eth(x) d
will turn it off.

If 'Supports Wake-on' shows anything in addition to 'g' and 's' (i.e.,
pumba), then WOL can be triggered without a "MagicPacket™".

You might also want to check acpi wakeup:
/proc/acpi/wakeup
<http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=How-to:Enable_Wake-On-Device_for_Ubuntu>

Anything in the logs?

Re: Unscheduled unattended boot

Colin Law-4
On 24 November 2012 12:28, Phil Dobbin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, all.
>
> I upgraded my youngest son's HP desktop machine to Quantal & now, for
> some unknown reason, it boots up at 06:30 every morning (I found out the
> time of the boot after hearing its start-up password prompt when walking
> past his bedroom door).
>
> It happens every morning & I had been blaming him for it (I've got the
> whole home LAN monitored by Nagios & all machines except mine are
> powered off by via cron at 22:00 each night so I see its upstate from
> Nagios every morning) but one this particular morning when I heard it
> boot, he was fast asleep.

Of course you could just disconnect the power and save the cost of
leaving it on standby overnight :)

Colin

On 11/24/2012 09:11 PM, Colin Law wrote:

> On 24 November 2012 12:28, Phil Dobbin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi, all.
>>
>> I upgraded my youngest son's HP desktop machine to Quantal & now, for
>> some unknown reason, it boots up at 06:30 every morning (I found out the
>> time of the boot after hearing its start-up password prompt when walking
>> past his bedroom door).
>>
>> It happens every morning & I had been blaming him for it (I've got the
>> whole home LAN monitored by Nagios & all machines except mine are
>> powered off by via cron at 22:00 each night so I see its upstate from
>> Nagios every morning) but one this particular morning when I heard it
>> boot, he was fast asleep.
>
> Of course you could just disconnect the power and save the cost of
> leaving it on standby overnight :)
Easier said than done with a nine year old boy, Colin :-)

I've even resorted to disconnecting the power cable in the past but he
just finds one elsewhere. He's determined to crack his password. Good
luck with that one...

Cheers,

  Phil...

On 11/24/2012 08:43 PM, NoOp wrote:

> On 11/24/2012 04:28 AM, Phil Dobbin wrote:
>> Hi, all.
>>
>> I upgraded my youngest son's HP desktop machine to Quantal & now, for
>> some unknown reason, it boots up at 06:30 every morning (I found out the
>> time of the boot after hearing its start-up password prompt when walking
>> past his bedroom door).
>>
>> It happens every morning & I had been blaming him for it (I've got the
>> whole home LAN monitored by Nagios & all machines except mine are
>> powered off by via cron at 22:00 each night so I see its upstate from
>> Nagios every morning) but one this particular morning when I heard it
>> boot, he was fast asleep.
>>
>> There's nothing installed like gwakeonlan or similar & I'm at a loss to
>> explain it. Both my wife & other two children are using Precise & they
>> do not have this particular problem.
>
> You don't need gwakeonlan for the port to be triggered, or system power
> on.
>
> Double check:
>
> $ sudo apt-get intall ethtool
> (if you don't already have it installed)
> $ sudo ethtoool ethx (x = 0,1,2 etc)
>
> Check:
> Supports Wake-on:
> Wake-on:
>
> $man ethtool:
> <http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/precise/man8/ethtool.8.html>
>  wol p|u|m|b|a|g|s|d...
>               Sets Wake-on-LAN options.  Not all devices  support  this.
>   The argument  to  this  option  is a string of characters specifying
>               which options to enable.
>
>               p   Wake on PHY activity
>               u   Wake on unicast messages
>               m   Wake on multicast messages
>               b   Wake on broadcast messages
>               a   Wake on ARP
>               g   Wake on MagicPacket™
>               s   Enable SecureOn™ password for MagicPacket™
>               d   Disable (wake on  nothing).   This  option
>                   clears all previous options.
>
> If 'Wake-on' is set to anything other than 'd':
> $ sudo ethtool -s eth(x) d
> will turn it off.
>
> If 'Supports Wake-on' shows anything in addition to 'g' and 's' (i.e.,
> pumba), then WOL can be triggered without a "MagicPacket™".
>
> You might also want to check acpi wakeup:
> /proc/acpi/wakeup
> <http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=How-to:Enable_Wake-On-Device_for_Ubuntu>
Come to think about it, I'm pretty sure ethtool is installed (I have
vague memories of looking for it on their machines recently; I know it's
on my copy of Precise) but I'm certain it wasn't activated. I check its
status. Thanks for the run down of the commands.

> Anything in the logs?

Nothing that I could see. As it's the weekend, I've let him have his
computer on 'til midnight, so I'll ssh in & have a peek.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

  Phil...

--
currently (ab)using
CentOS 5.8 & 6.3, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora Beefy, OS X Snow
Leopard & Ubuntu Precise & Quantal

0xF9137B0F.asc (2K) Download Attachment

Re: Unscheduled unattended boot

Phil Dobbin
On 11/24/2012 08:43 PM, NoOp wrote:

> You might also want to check acpi wakeup:
> /proc/acpi/wakeup
> <http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=How-to:Enable_Wake-On-Device_for_Ubuntu>

Checking 'cat /proc/acpi/wakeup' shows me that it's the Netgear Wi-Fi
USB dongle that's causing the problem.

Rather than altering anything now, I'll just pocket the dongle for the
time being when he retires for the night. This may work to my advantage
as I now have a method of setting a boot time for his machine during the
day. Anything that saves me walking up & down the stairs is gratefully
received :-)

> Anything in the logs?

There was actually. I was just looking in the wrong place. Didn't tell
me much but confirmed that the computer was indeed booting up at 06:35.

Once again, thanks for your help.

Cheers,

  Phil...