Unwanted music played by some websites

Bill Stanley
Hi,

Is there any way to block (unless wanted) the music played by some
websites?  I find unwanted sounds coming from the speaker very annoying,
particularly when I am listening to some wanted music.  Of course, I do
want to listen to some website sounds.  I am using the Firefox web
browser and Mint 17.1 with the Mate desktop.

Bill Stanley

Re: Unwanted music played by some websites

Normand Marion-2
On Firefox to block some undesired windows I use the addon "noscript". It controles cookies and script execution.

Hope it will help you in some ways.

Le sam. 20 avr. 2019, à 20 h 47, Bill <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Hi,

Is there any way to block (unless wanted) the music played by some
websites?  I find unwanted sounds coming from the speaker very annoying,
particularly when I am listening to some wanted music.  Of course, I do
want to listen to some website sounds.  I am using the Firefox web
browser and Mint 17.1 with the Mate desktop.

Bill Stanley

Normand Marion

On 04/20/2019 10:50 PM, Normand Marion wrote:
On Firefox to block some undesired windows I use the addon "noscript". It controles cookies and script execution.

Hope it will help you in some ways.

Le sam. 20 avr. 2019, à 20 h 47, Bill <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Hi,

Is there any way to block (unless wanted) the music played by some
websites?  I find unwanted sounds coming from the speaker very annoying,
particularly when I am listening to some wanted music.  Of course, I do
want to listen to some website sounds.  I am using the Firefox web
browser and Mint 17.1 with the Mate desktop.

Bill Stanley
WS=> I too use no script but I can't seem to find how to use it to control just the sound.  I looked on the Firefox website and they indicate that if you go to Preferences/privacy & security there is a way to control the sounds under the Permissions section.   The problem is that the sounds line does not exist on my browser.  It seems that the missing line is exactly what I want.

PROBLEM SOLVED (Maybe)

Bill Stanley

On 4/20/19 11:15 PM, Bill wrote:

[...]

WS=> I couldn't find the options in Preferences / privacy& security /permissions was that this option was in a recent version of Firefox.  When I updated Firefox, the option was there.  I just hope that this Firefox option works.  I'll have to wait for a website that attempts to use the speaker to see if this fixes the problem.

Bill Dtanley

Re: Unwanted music played by some websites

Little Girl
Hey there,

Bill wrote:

>WS=> I too use no script but I can't seem to find how to use it to
>control just the sound.  I looked on the Firefox website and they
>indicate that if you go to Preferences/privacy & security there is a
>way to control the sounds under the Permissions section.   The
>problem is that the sounds line does not exist on my browser.  It
>seems that the missing line is exactly what I want.

This should work as long as you have Firefox v66:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/block-autoplay

It's a new Firefox feature that blocks media auto-play.

If you read the instructions, you don't go into Preferences to do
this. You go into the Control Center in Firefox. The way to get to
that is to click the little i in a circle to the left of the URL in
the address bar. Once you're in the Control Center, click the
"Permissions" entry, put a check in the "Block websites from
automatically playing sound" box, and you should be all set.

The link above gives instructions for that and then some, so you'll
want to look it over.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

Re: Unwanted music played by some websites

Little Girl
Hey there,

Bill wrote:

I thought I'd add that I was wrong. You can go into "Preferences" and
then click on "Privacy & Security" and then scroll down to the
"Permissions" section to do the same thing.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

Re: Unwanted music played by some websites

on Ubuntu rebuild firefox with

  ac_add_options --enable-alsa
  ac_add_options --enable-jack

After that get completely rid of pulseaudio. Migrate to jack.

Then send a bug report to the Mozilla folks and make clear that a jack
client never ever should auto-connect.

A workaround could be to use firefox with plain alsa. IOW don't run
jack. Before starting firefox, start another app that grabs the
audio device, then firefox can't access the audio device. If you want
to use Firefox to play sound, close the other apps and restart firefox.

Regards,
Ralf

Re: Unwanted music played by some websites

ubuntu-users mailing list
PS:

In my experiences with an Pad Pro, sound of websites is mute by
default, the user needs to unmute it, also when using firefox, a
browser I neither like to run under Linux, nor under iOS. I don't know
if this apply to all websites or just, if some audio and/or video
player is involved.

IMO default audio by almost all Linux distros, including Ubuntu and even
including Ubuntu Studio, is way behind the times, OTOH some websites
are just obtrusive.

Alternatively to control audio in a professional way by getting rid of
Ubuntu flavour's default audio configurations or by using a browser with
plug-ins to e.g. get rid of advertisings, all of us could stop visiting
obtrusive websites.

Almost all web designers are either unintelligent persons and/or
without scruple. By accident we could visit a bad website, but we don't
need to do it for a second time. If all of us would stop visiting
shitty websites, the web designers would be forced learbning to do a
better job. Playing sound without asking is a no-go. I probably don't
notice it, since I only turn on audio for my computers, to make music
productions. For everyday computer usage, I'm allowing the PC speaker
to send signals by a beep:

  $ lsmod | grep pcspkr
  pcspkr                 16384  0
  $ echo -e '\a'
  $ echo -ne '\007'

The amp is turned of, so there's no sound excepted of the wanted beeps.
IIRC Ubuntu does blacklist pcspkr by default, it's required to comment
the blacklisting out. That's at least what I see if I take a look at my
16.04 install:

  $ grep -B2 pcspkr /mnt/moonstudio/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
  # ugly and loud noise, getting on everyone's nerves; this should be done by a
  # nice pulseaudio bing (Ubuntu: #77010)
  #blacklist pcspkr

It's perfectly silly.