Upcoming PHP 7.4 transition

Bryce Harrington-8
Hi devs,

For focal the server team will be transitioning PHP to 7.4 over the
coming weeks.

Since version 7.0, upstream PHP has adopted a regular release cadence,
with one release per year. Each release is supported for 2 years, plus a
third year of security critical fixes.[1] Changes from 7.3 to 7.4 are
modest, but the extra year of upstream support is a tangible benefit for
the Ubuntu LTS.

The language binary, php7.4, is already sync'd to universe in focal.
Remaining parts of the stack are in process by Debian, but are expected
to enter experimental/universe soon.  Initial build testing shows the
changes that have been queued in Debian's git package repos have
addressed most build issues, and will simply need synced/merged.

Let me know if there are questions/concerns.  Otherwise we will plan to
initiate the transition within the next week or so.

Bryce

1: https://www.php.net/supported-versions.php

Re: Upcoming PHP 7.4 transition

Julian Andres Klode
On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 05:33:21PM -0800, Bryce Harrington wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> For focal the server team will be transitioning PHP to 7.4 over the
> coming weeks.
>
> Since version 7.0, upstream PHP has adopted a regular release cadence,
> with one release per year. Each release is supported for 2 years, plus a
> third year of security critical fixes.[1] Changes from 7.3 to 7.4 are
> modest, but the extra year of upstream support is a tangible benefit for
> the Ubuntu LTS.
>
> The language binary, php7.4, is already sync'd to universe in focal.
> Remaining parts of the stack are in process by Debian, but are expected
> to enter experimental/universe soon.  Initial build testing shows the
> changes that have been queued in Debian's git package repos have
> addressed most build issues, and will simply need synced/merged.
It's stuck in proposed due to failing autopkgtests of reverse
dependencies, and it also depends on the icu transition. Hopefully
icu is done soon, I guess I'd wait for this first before entangling
another transition into it.

I have added a transition tracker for php7.4.

ubuntu core developer                              i speak de, en

On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 09:52:34AM +0100, Julian Andres Klode wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 05:33:21PM -0800, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> > Hi devs,
> >
> > For focal the server team will be transitioning PHP to 7.4 over the
> > coming weeks.
> >
> > Since version 7.0, upstream PHP has adopted a regular release cadence,
> > with one release per year. Each release is supported for 2 years, plus a
> > third year of security critical fixes.[1] Changes from 7.3 to 7.4 are
> > modest, but the extra year of upstream support is a tangible benefit for
> > the Ubuntu LTS.
> >
> > The language binary, php7.4, is already sync'd to universe in focal.
> > Remaining parts of the stack are in process by Debian, but are expected
> > to enter experimental/universe soon.  Initial build testing shows the
> > changes that have been queued in Debian's git package repos have
> > addressed most build issues, and will simply need synced/merged.
>
> It's stuck in proposed due to failing autopkgtests of reverse
> dependencies, and it also depends on the icu transition. Hopefully
> icu is done soon, I guess I'd wait for this first before entangling
> another transition into it.

Thanks for the head's up, I'll keep an eye on when it migrates.

> I have added a transition tracker for php7.4.

Great, thanks.

Bryce

On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 10:30:31AM -0800, Bryce Harrington wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 09:52:34AM +0100, Julian Andres Klode wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 05:33:21PM -0800, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> > > Hi devs,
> > >
> > > For focal the server team will be transitioning PHP to 7.4 over the
> > > coming weeks.
> > >
> > > Since version 7.0, upstream PHP has adopted a regular release cadence,
> > > with one release per year. Each release is supported for 2 years, plus a
> > > third year of security critical fixes.[1] Changes from 7.3 to 7.4 are
> > > modest, but the extra year of upstream support is a tangible benefit for
> > > the Ubuntu LTS.
> > >
> > > The language binary, php7.4, is already sync'd to universe in focal.
> > > Remaining parts of the stack are in process by Debian, but are expected
> > > to enter experimental/universe soon.  Initial build testing shows the
> > > changes that have been queued in Debian's git package repos have
> > > addressed most build issues, and will simply need synced/merged.
> >
> > It's stuck in proposed due to failing autopkgtests of reverse
> > dependencies, and it also depends on the icu transition. Hopefully
> > icu is done soon, I guess I'd wait for this first before entangling
> > another transition into it.
>
> Thanks for the head's up, I'll keep an eye on when it migrates.
>
> > I have added a transition tracker for php7.4.
>
> Great, thanks.

Btw, if you want to update the linked ticket for that tracker, the lp
bug report I'm using for tracking this is
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/php-defaults/+bug/1855020/

Bryce

Re: Upcoming PHP 7.4 transition

Matthias Klose-6
On 2/14/20 9:52 AM, Julian Andres Klode wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 05:33:21PM -0800, Bryce Harrington wrote:
>> Hi devs,
>>
>> For focal the server team will be transitioning PHP to 7.4 over the
>> coming weeks.
>>
>> Since version 7.0, upstream PHP has adopted a regular release cadence,
>> with one release per year. Each release is supported for 2 years, plus a
>> third year of security critical fixes.[1] Changes from 7.3 to 7.4 are
>> modest, but the extra year of upstream support is a tangible benefit for
>> the Ubuntu LTS.
>>
>> The language binary, php7.4, is already sync'd to universe in focal.
>> Remaining parts of the stack are in process by Debian, but are expected
>> to enter experimental/universe soon.  Initial build testing shows the
>> changes that have been queued in Debian's git package repos have
>> addressed most build issues, and will simply need synced/merged.
>
> It's stuck in proposed due to failing autopkgtests of reverse
> dependencies, and it also depends on the icu transition. Hopefully
> icu is done soon, I guess I'd wait for this first before entangling
> another transition into it.

waiting is the best way to put that transition at risk.  Just do it and be
prepared to fix unrelated issues in the archive.

Matthias