Update Qt 5.9.5 to Qt 5.12 in Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Update Qt 5.9.5 to Qt 5.12 in Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Kevin

A recent article in  Linux Pro Magazine (July 2019 Issue 224) concerned
the installation of 'Barrier'
allowing use of one mouse/keyboard with two or more computers.
Barrier requires Qt 5.12 as a dependency.

My current setup:
Ubuntu 18 .04 LTS  64 bit (Up to date)
AMD Ryzen 5 2400g
Gnome 3.28.2
Ram 16 GiB

Qt must be installed before 'Barrier'.
If  I install Qt 5.12 what happens to the version already installed by
Ubuntu.
Do I leave Qt 5.9.5 on the computer as is - do I remove it - do I remove
it before I install Qt 5.12

I have not been able to find sufficient info online to be of any help.


--
Kevin

Ubuntu 18.04.1
Registered User


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Update Qt 5.9.5 to Qt 5.12 in Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Colin Watson
On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 12:02:49PM -0400, Kevin wrote:
> A recent article in  Linux Pro Magazine (July 2019 Issue 224) concerned the
> installation of 'Barrier'
> allowing use of one mouse/keyboard with two or more computers.
> Barrier requires Qt 5.12 as a dependency.

Trying to upgrade Qt when the Ubuntu release you're running ships an
older one is probably not going to go well and I wouldn't recommend it.
I see that there's a snap of Barrier, though, so perhaps "snap install
barrier" would work for you?  That way it'll bundle its own dependencies
and not interfere with the ones you have on the system.

--
Colin Watson                                       [[hidden email]]

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Update Qt 5.9.5 to Qt 5.12 in Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

ubuntu-users mailing list
In reply to this post by Kevin
On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 12:02:49 -0400, Kevin wrote:
>If  I install Qt 5.12 what happens to the version already installed by
>Ubuntu.

Hi,

just installing Qt 5.12 would break the dependency trees of Qt
related packages from official Ubuntu 18.04 repositories.

You could test if a snap does the job,
https://snapcraft.io/barrier
https://snapcraft.io/barrier-kvm
or you could update your Ubuntu release to at least 18.10,
https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=cosmic&arch=any&searchon=names&keywords=barrier
It is build against Qt 5.11.

Regards,
Ralf


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Update Qt 5.9.5 to Qt 5.12 in Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Kevin
In reply to this post by Kevin
> A recent article in  Linux Pro Magazine (July 2019 Issue 224) concerned the
> installation of 'Barrier'
> allowing use of one mouse/keyboard with two or more computers.
> Barrier requires Qt 5.12 as a dependency.
Thanks to both Colin and Ralf for their responses.

> Trying to upgrade Qt when the Ubuntu release you're running ships an
> older one is probably not going to go well and I wouldn't recommend it.
> I see that there's a snap of Barrier, though, so perhaps "snap install
> barrier" would work for you?  That way it'll bundle its own dependencies
> and not interfere with the ones you have on the system.
Trying to install Qt 5.12 made no difference because because it would
not install.

Installed Barrier with Snap with the following results:

:~$ sudo snap install barrier-kvm
barrier-kvm 2.2 from netmag installed
~$: barrier-kvm
Qt: session management error: None of the authentication protocols
specified are supported.
System tray is unavailable.
libGL error: MESA-Loader: failed to retrieve device information
libGL error: unable to load driver: amdgpu_dri.so
libGL error: driver pointer missing
libGL error: failed to load driver: amdgpu
libGL error: MESA-LOADER: failed to retrieve device information
libGL error: unable to load driver: amdgpu_dri.so
libGL error: driver pointer missing
libGL error: failed to load driver: amdgpu

> just installing Qt 5.12 would break the dependency trees of Qt
> related packages from official Ubuntu 18.04 repositories.
>
> You could test if a snap does the job,
> https://snapcraft.io/barrier
> https://snapcraft.io/barrier-kvm
> or you could update your Ubuntu release to at least 18.10,
> https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=cosmic&arch=any&searchon=names&keywords=barrier
> It is build against Qt 5.11.
Quote from Linux Pro Magazine July 2019 (Issue 224) pages 38-39:

"You'll find an installer for Windows, a DMG package for Mac OS X, and
statically built versions for Linux and FreeBSD.
In practice, however, the Linux package's hard-wired dependency on Qt
5.12 poses a hurdle. Even Ubuntu 18.10 still
relies on Qt 5.11.1, which means you'll need to upgrade to Qt 5.12 to
use Barrier."

Back to square one.
Cannot install Qt 5.12
Barrier won't work without it

As for the libGL errors - probably has to do with the CPU  .
AMD Ryzen 5 2400g - AMD Vega graphics built into the chip.

Again, thanks for the responses.


--
Kevin

Ubuntu 18.04.1
Registered User


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Update Qt 5.9.5 to Qt 5.12 in Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Dienstag, den 19.11.2019, 15:16 -0400 schrieb Kevin:
> > 
>
> :~$ sudo snap install barrier-kvm

there are actually two packages in the store for barrier ... you picked
the one that seems less well maintained (not touched for quite some
time according to "snap info barrier-kvm") ... try

$ sudo snap install barrier

perhaps that one works better ;)

ciao
        oli
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

signature.asc (188 bytes) Download Attachment