Update for UbuntuMATE 16.04.6 broke the GUI

Update for UbuntuMATE 16.04.6 broke the GUI

Bret Busby-2
Hello.

A few hours ago, I performed a system update on one of my UbuntuMATE
16.04.6 systems, and it has broken the system.

The panel in the GUI is broken, and the taskbar has been eliminated,
by the update, rendering the GUI unusable.

Is it possible to reverse the system update?

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

Re: Update for UbuntuMATE 16.04.6 broke the GUI

Colin Law
On Tue, 20 Aug 2019 at 22:27, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> A few hours ago, I performed a system update on one of my UbuntuMATE
> 16.04.6 systems, and it has broken the system.
>
> The panel in the GUI is broken, and the taskbar has been eliminated,
> by the update, rendering the GUI unusable.
>
> Is it possible to reverse the system update?

What do you mean by 'system update'?

What does this show
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Colin

On 21/08/2019, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Aug 2019 at 22:27, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello.
>>
>> A few hours ago, I performed a system update on one of my UbuntuMATE
>> 16.04.6 systems, and it has broken the system.
>>
>> The panel in the GUI is broken, and the taskbar has been eliminated,
>> by the update, rendering the GUI unusable.
>>
>> Is it possible to reverse the system update?
>
> What do you mean by 'system update'?

Running that "Software Updater" thing, and "Install now" for updates

> What does this show
> sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

I will have to boot up the system.

Now, the taskbar in UbuntuMATE 18.04, has also been destroyed.

Because of the increasingly malicious behaviour of the version of
Midori, that is for 18.04, I removed the launcher icon from the panel,
and, doing that, broke the panel, and, after rebooting, several times,
to get the panel back, open applications no longer show in the
taskbar.

The GUI is decomposing, in 16.04 and 18.04.

So, in a few hours or so, I will try to reboot the broken 16.04 system.

It appears safest, to avoid software updates

On Wed, 21 Aug 2019 at 12:35, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The GUI is decomposing, in 16.04 and 18.04.

If you boot from live image of 18.04 does it work correctly?

Colin

On 21/08/2019, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 21/08/2019, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Tue, 20 Aug 2019 at 22:27, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> A few hours ago, I performed a system update on one of my UbuntuMATE
>>> 16.04.6 systems, and it has broken the system.
>>>
>>> The panel in the GUI is broken, and the taskbar has been eliminated,
>>> by the update, rendering the GUI unusable.
>>>
>>> Is it possible to reverse the system update?
>>
>> What do you mean by 'system update'?
>>

> Running that "Software Updater" thing, and "Install now" for updates
>
>> What does this show
>> sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
>>

> I will have to boot up the system.
>
> Now, the taskbar in UbuntuMATE 18.04, has also been destroyed.
>
> Because of the increasingly malicious behaviour of the version of
> Midori, that is for 18.04, I removed the launcher icon from the panel,
> and, doing that, broke the panel, and, after rebooting, several times,
> to get the panel back, open applications no longer show in the
> taskbar.
>
> The GUI is decomposing, in 16.04 and 18.04.
>
> So, in a few hours or so, I will try to reboot the broken 16.04 system.
>
> It appears safest, to avoid software updates

In booting up the 16.04.6 system that no longer has panels, and
switching to a console, upon logging in as me user, the system
displays (in the response to the login)

"
0 packages can be updated.
0 updates are security updates.
"

sudo apt-get update
returns
"
Hit:1 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial InRelease
Get:2 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates InRelease [109kB]
Hit:3 http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu InRelease
Get:4 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-backports InRelease [107kB]
Get:5 http://au.archiveubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/main amd64
Packages [1009kB]
Get:6 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security InRelease [109kB]
Get:7 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/main i386
Packages [849kB]
Fetched 2,184 kB in 3s (693kB/s)
Reading package lists... Done
"

then, after typing in all of the response above, and preparing to run
the second command, I just realised that it is a double ampersand, and
so, the
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
should have been run as a single line, joint command.

Thence,
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
subsequently returned

"
Hit:1 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial InRelease
Hit:2 http://au.archive.ubutu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates InRelease
Hit:3 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-backports InRelease
Hit:4 http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu xenial InRelease
Hit:5 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security InRelease
Reading package lists... Done
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information...Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 0 to not upgrade.
"

On Sat, 24 Aug 2019 at 21:28, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 21/08/2019, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

Try logging in as a different user, that will tell you whether it is
your profile that has been messed up or whether it is something system
related.  If you have not got a second user configured then make one,
it is very easy.

Colin

On 25/08/2019, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Aug 2019 at 21:28, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Try logging in as a different user, that will tell you whether it is
> your profile that has been messed up or whether it is something system
> related.  If you have not got a second user configured then make one,
> it is very easy.

No, it is not easy.

I have only one user set up, on each of my systems, from installation; me.

On both of the two broken systems; 16.04.6 and 18.04.3,
sudo adduser
returns

"
adduser: Only one or two names allowed.
"

then, it returns to the prompt.

Both (and, all of my Ubuntu) systems are UbuntuMATE.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

Re: Update for UbuntuMATE 16.04.6 broke the GUI

Mark Frank

On Sun, Aug 25, 2019 at 10:05 AM Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 25/08/2019, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Try logging in as a different user, that will tell you whether it is
> your profile that has been messed up or whether it is something system
> related.  If you have not got a second user configured then make one,
> it is very easy.

No, it is not easy.

I have only one user set up, on each of my systems, from installation; me.

On both of the two broken systems; 16.04.6 and 18.04.3,
sudo adduser
returns

"
adduser: Only one or two names allowed.
"

Try:

 sudo adduser seconduser

Mark

Re: Update for UbuntuMATE 16.04.6 broke the GUI

Paul Smith-2
On Sun, 2019-08-25 at 22:03 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> On both of the two broken systems; 16.04.6 and 18.04.3,
> sudo adduser
> returns
>
> "
> adduser: Only one or two names allowed.
> "
>
> then, it returns to the prompt.

adduser, like virtual all POSIX CLI commands, is not interactive: it's
not going to ask you questions.  Instead you have to provide all the
information it needs on the command line.

You can use "man adduser", or Google, to figure out what arguments to
give to the "adduser" command.

However, simpler by far is to use the graphical system configuration
tool to add users.

On Ubuntu, you can bring up Settings, go to the Details tab, and select
Users.  You need to Unlock (button at the top) to get admin privileges
before you can add new users.

> Both (and, all of my Ubuntu) systems are UbuntuMATE.

For administration questions on UbuntuMATE you should be asking on
forums or mailing lists specifically for UbuntuMATE.  The entire reason
for the existence of UbuntuMATE is to provide a different desktop
environment than vanilla Ubuntu, so while most of the applications you
run will work the same, almost all the desktop administration tools
will work differently... and we can't help you with that here.

On Sun, 25 Aug 2019 22:03:38 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:

>I have only one user set up, on each of my systems, from installation;
>me.
>
>On both of the two broken systems; 16.04.6 and 18.04.3,
>sudo adduser
>returns
>
>"
>adduser: Only one or two names allowed.
>"
>
>then, it returns to the prompt.
>
>Both (and, all of my Ubuntu) systems are UbuntuMATE.

'adduser' seems to be interactive on FreeBSD, but seemingly just was
interactive, but obviously isn't anymore on Ubuntu.

Usually on Linux 'sudo useradd -m testusername' creates a user and adds
defaults, IOW home, login shell etc., this might not work on Ubuntu.

You should run 'sudo adduser testusername', this at least should create
a home, but might not add the user to a set of default groups.

The command 'groups' as well as 'id' informs you about the groups that
were or were not automatically added.

On 25/08/2019, Mark Frank <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 25, 2019 at 10:05 AM Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 25/08/2019, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Try logging in as a different user, that will tell you whether it is
>> > your profile that has been messed up or whether it is something system
>> > related.  If you have not got a second user configured then make one,
>> > it is very easy.
>>

>> No, it is not easy.
>>
>> I have only one user set up, on each of my systems, from installation;
>> me.
>>
>> On both of the two broken systems; 16.04.6 and 18.04.3,
>> sudo adduser
>> returns
>>
>> "
>> adduser: Only one or two names allowed.
>> "
>>

> Try:
>
>  sudo adduser seconduser
>
> Mark

Thank you - it was a syntax problem; I got the syntax wrong - I
thought it would prompt for a username for the user to be added. I did
not understand the man entry for adduser.

On 25/08/2019, Paul Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, 2019-08-25 at 22:03 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
>> On both of the two broken systems; 16.04.6 and 18.04.3,
>> sudo adduser
>> returns
>>
>> "
>> adduser: Only one or two names allowed.
>> "
>>
>> then, it returns to the prompt.
>
> adduser, like virtual all POSIX CLI commands, is not interactive: it's
> not going to ask you questions.  Instead you have to provide all the
> information it needs on the command line.
>
> You can use "man adduser", or Google, to figure out what arguments to
> give to the "adduser" command.
>
> However, simpler by far is to use the graphical system configuration
> tool to add users.
>
> On Ubuntu, you can bring up Settings, go to the Details tab, and select
> Users.  You need to Unlock (button at the top) to get admin privileges
> before you can add new users.

Ah, given that the primary problem (the subject of the thread), is
that the GUI is broken, and no panel is present or working, the
suggestion is a bit like "If your car does not start, and can not be
moved, start it and drive it to a service station for assistance"

>> Both (and, all of my Ubuntu) systems are UbuntuMATE.
>
> For administration questions on UbuntuMATE you should be asking on
> forums or mailing lists specifically for UbuntuMATE.  The entire reason
> for the existence of UbuntuMATE is to provide a different desktop
> environment than vanilla Ubuntu, so while most of the applications you
> run will work the same, almost all the desktop administration tools
> will work differently... and we can't help you with that here.

1. No mailing list is available for UbuntuMATE.

2. My observations, over the years, show that this mailing list
provides assistance for any of the variants of Ubuntu Linux. Of
course, I accept correction, if I am wrong ("Mone me si erro").

--
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

Re: Update for UbuntuMATE 16.04.6 broke the GUI

Bret Busby-2
On 25/08/2019, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Aug 2019 22:03:38 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
>>I have only one user set up, on each of my systems, from installation;
>>me.
>>
>>On both of the two broken systems; 16.04.6 and 18.04.3,
>>sudo adduser
>>returns
>>
>>"
>>adduser: Only one or two names allowed.
>>"
>>
>>then, it returns to the prompt.
>>
>>Both (and, all of my Ubuntu) systems are UbuntuMATE.
>
> 'adduser' seems to be interactive on FreeBSD, but seemingly just was
> interactive, but obviously isn't anymore on Ubuntu.
>
> Usually on Linux 'sudo useradd -m testusername' creates a user and adds
> defaults, IOW home, login shell etc., this might not work on Ubuntu.
>
> You should run 'sudo adduser testusername', this at least should create
> a home, but might not add the user to a set of default groups.

The syntax
sudo adduser username
as you suggested, and, as was otherwise suggested, was the solution.

My understanding of the command syntax, was wrong - I wrongly thought
that entering
sudo adduser
would prompt me for a username.

So, thank you for your help.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

Re: Update for UbuntuMATE 16.04.6 broke the GUI

Bret Busby-2
On 25/08/2019, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Aug 2019 at 21:28, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Try logging in as a different user, that will tell you whether it is
> your profile that has been messed up or whether it is something system
> related.  If you have not got a second user configured then make one,
> it is very easy.

Okay.

On both the 16.04.6 and the 18.04.3 systems, the test gives the same
result; for the second user, everything seems to be okay - the panels
are where they are expected, and, functional.

How do I access, or, reset, my profile for my primary account?

From memory, before GUI's. on a UNIX System V system, the user's
profile was stored in a . file or a .profile file.

Upon viewing a .profile file, with a text editor, I do not see any
reference to a GUI or GUI settings.

On 26/08/2019, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 25/08/2019, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Try logging in as a different user, that will tell you whether it is
>> your profile that has been messed up or whether it is something system
>> related.  If you have not got a second user configured then make one,
>> it is very easy.
>>

> Okay.
>
> On both the 16.04.6 and the 18.04.3 systems, the test gives the same
> result; for the second user, everything seems to be okay - the panels
> are where they are expected, and, functional.
>
> How do I access, or, reset, my profile for my primary account?
>
> From memory, before GUI's. on a UNIX System V system, the user's
> profile was stored in a . file or a .profile file.
>
> Upon viewing a .profile file, with a text editor, I do not see any
> reference to a GUI or GUI settings.

On my 18.04.3 system, in the seconduser home directory, is a .conf
directory, which contains a file named user .

But, that file, when clicked with the non-dominant mouse button, does
not provide an option for opening the file with a text editor, so, I
assume that it is not to be edited.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

Re: Update for UbuntuMATE 16.04.6 broke the GUI

searching the usual suspects usually is a starting point. You could take
a look by running

  ls -Ald $HOME/{,.cache/,.config/,.local/share/}* | grep mate

Unfortunately clearing the cache by running

  rm -Ir $HOME/.cache/mate/

and renaming the content in .config by running

  mv -i $HOME/.config/mate $HOME/.config/mate.bak

unlikely gains anything, since mate does use dconf.

Wenn logged in as the user running

  gsettings list-schemas | grep mate

shows all mate realted schemas.

Running

  gsettings list-schemas | grep mate | grep panel

might lists all panel related schemas.

Make a backup of dconf by running

  cp -ai $HOME/.config/dconf/user $HOME/.config/dconf/user.bak

Probably running

  gsettings reset-recursively org.mate.panel
  gsettings reset-recursively org.mate.panel.menubar

does reset the panel. Perhaps you need to log in and out.

More information is provided by

  man gsettings
  man dconf

Regards,
Ralf

Re: Update for UbuntuMATE 16.04.6 broke the GUI

Little Girl
Hey there,

Bret Busby wrote:

>How do I access, or, reset, my profile for my primary account?

This should do it:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1460874

The final post from JCollierDavis in that thread looks like it covers
everything that would be needed. Also, since you're moving your home
directory and making a fresh copy, you'll be creating a backup as you
do this, so if anything goes wrong, it's reversible.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

Re: Update for UbuntuMATE 16.04.6 broke the GUI

ubuntu-users mailing list
On Sun, 25 Aug 2019 15:15:58 -0400, Little Girl wrote:

>Hey there,
>
>Bret Busby wrote:
>
>>How do I access, or, reset, my profile for my primary account?
>
>This should do it:
>
>https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1460874
>
>The final post from JCollierDavis in that thread looks like it covers
>everything that would be needed. Also, since you're moving your home
>directory and making a fresh copy, you'll be creating a backup as you
>do this, so if anything goes wrong, it's reversible.

If you want to get an old wallpaper from the wall, use a sledgehammer
to tear down the wall, then build up a new wall and you get a wall
without an old wallpaper.

I even wouldn't reset all Mate schemas, however running

  gsettings list-schemas | grep org.mate | xargs -n 1 gsettings reset-recursively

likely resets most Mate related apps.

Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:

>On Sun, 25 Aug 2019 15:15:58 -0400, Little Girl wrote:
>>Bret Busby wrote:
>>
>>>How do I access, or, reset, my profile for my primary account?
>>
>>This should do it:
>>
>>https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1460874
>>
>>The final post from JCollierDavis in that thread looks like it
>>covers everything that would be needed. Also, since you're moving
>>your home directory and making a fresh copy, you'll be creating a
>>backup as you do this, so if anything goes wrong, it's reversible.
>
>If you want to get an old wallpaper from the wall, use a sledgehammer
>to tear down the wall, then build up a new wall and you get a wall
>without an old wallpaper.

Okay. It's not necessarily a bad idea, though, when you don't know
for sure what got corrupt. Using this method, he will keep only his
personal data, which will make sure that what he doesn't want won't
be kept.

>I even wouldn't reset all Mate schemas, however running
>
>  gsettings list-schemas | grep org.mate | xargs -n 1 gsettings
> reset-recursively
>
>likely resets most Mate related apps.

Thank you. Hopefully that will help Bret.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

Re: Update for UbuntuMATE 16.04.6 broke the GUI

Bret Busby-2
On 26/08/2019, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Aug 2019 15:15:58 -0400, Little Girl wrote:
>>Hey there,
>>
>>Bret Busby wrote:
>>
>>>How do I access, or, reset, my profile for my primary account?
>>
>>This should do it:
>>
>>https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1460874
>>
>>The final post from JCollierDavis in that thread looks like it covers
>>everything that would be needed. Also, since you're moving your home
>>directory and making a fresh copy, you'll be creating a backup as you
>>do this, so if anything goes wrong, it's reversible.
>
> If you want to get an old wallpaper from the wall, use a sledgehammer
> to tear down the wall, then build up a new wall and you get a wall
> without an old wallpaper.
>
> I even wouldn't reset all Mate schemas, however running
>
>   gsettings list-schemas | grep org.mate | xargs -n 1 gsettings
> reset-recursively
>
> likely resets most Mate related apps.

Each of that command and

gsettings reset-recursively org.mate.panel

and

gsettings reset-recursively org.mate.panel.menubar

return

dconf-WARNING **: failed to commit changes to dconf: Cannot autolaunch
D-Bus without X11 $DISPLAY