Updated suggestions for the 18.04 wallpaper contest policies

Updated suggestions for the 18.04 wallpaper contest policies

Pasi Lallinaho-3
Hello people,

following up on the last thread [1] about the 18.04 LTS community
wallpaper contest, here's a revised and clarified set of policy suggestions.

1) Limiting submissions

The same argumentation still applies:
> While I'd like to see the number of submissions go up, I would like
> them to be from a bigger group of people. Additionally, this means
> we'll make the submitters pick their best work instead of us having to
> vote on it.

I'd propose limiting the submission to a maximum of five (5) per person.
Looking at the two first contests, having this policy would only have an
impact on a few individuals.

2) Own work only (including derivative works)

Here's the original proposal:
> Second, I would like to limit submissions to own work only. While this
> means we are potentially excluding people from the contest, we are
> still making the contest more about the community – not just a
> community curated contest.

I would like to add that the original intent – while it unfortunately
doesn't show in the comment – was to allow *derivative* works. Or in
other words, as long as the original work you are taking has a suitable
license and you modify it enough to clearly stand as its own
(derivative) work, the submission is completely OK.

Looking at the previous contests, this policy would *only* have affected
submissions made by the Xubuntu team members, myself included. I want to
make this contest even more about the community, which is why I'm
suggesting this change. (Or in other words, I wouldn't call a contest
you can win by submitting somebody else's work you found from the
internet a "community" contest.)

Please do comment on these suggestions within a week so we can get on
with the planning (and launching the contest) soon.

Cheers,
Pasi

[1]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/xubuntu-devel/2017-September/011543.html

--
Pasi Lallinaho (knome)                   › https://open.knome.fi/
Xubuntu Website Lead & Council Member    › https://xubuntu.org/

Re: Updated suggestions for the 18.04 wallpaper contest policies

Simon Steinbeiss
Hi Pasi,

I agree with both suggestions, even though (or because) that would have meant my submissions from the last contest would now be inadmissible, because I was not the author.

Especially keeping the chance to hand out rewards to the winners in mind - having to be the author makes the contest fairer.

The limit in numbers will hopefully make every contestant focus on his/her best and give us more time to discuss quality over quantity when working towards the final decision.

Good if we get this going as soon as possible!

Cheers
Simon

Pasi Lallinaho <[hidden email]> schrieb am So., 3. Dez. 2017, 23:43:
Hello people,

following up on the last thread [1] about the 18.04 LTS community
wallpaper contest, here's a revised and clarified set of policy suggestions.

1) Limiting submissions

The same argumentation still applies:
> While I'd like to see the number of submissions go up, I would like
> them to be from a bigger group of people. Additionally, this means
> we'll make the submitters pick their best work instead of us having to
> vote on it.

I'd propose limiting the submission to a maximum of five (5) per person.
Looking at the two first contests, having this policy would only have an
impact on a few individuals.

2) Own work only (including derivative works)

Here's the original proposal:
> Second, I would like to limit submissions to own work only. While this
> means we are potentially excluding people from the contest, we are
> still making the contest more about the community – not just a
> community curated contest.

I would like to add that the original intent – while it unfortunately
doesn't show in the comment – was to allow *derivative* works. Or in
other words, as long as the original work you are taking has a suitable
license and you modify it enough to clearly stand as its own
(derivative) work, the submission is completely OK.

Looking at the previous contests, this policy would *only* have affected
submissions made by the Xubuntu team members, myself included. I want to
make this contest even more about the community, which is why I'm
suggesting this change. (Or in other words, I wouldn't call a contest
you can win by submitting somebody else's work you found from the
internet a "community" contest.)

Please do comment on these suggestions within a week so we can get on
with the planning (and launching the contest) soon.

Cheers,
Pasi

[1]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/xubuntu-devel/2017-September/011543.html

--
Pasi Lallinaho (knome)                   › https://open.knome.fi/
Xubuntu Website Lead & Council Member    › https://xubuntu.org/
Xfce contributor                         › https://xfce.org/
Shimmer Project co-founder               › https://shimmerproject.org/

Re: Updated suggestions for the 18.04 wallpaper contest policies

flocculant
On 03/12/17 22:42, Pasi Lallinaho wrote:

> Looking at the previous contests, this policy would *only* have
> affected submissions made by the Xubuntu team members, myself
> included. I want to make this contest even more about the community,
> which is why I'm suggesting this change. (Or in other words, I
> wouldn't call a contest you can win by submitting somebody else's work
> you found from the internet a "community" contest.)

Still don't agree with this.

But not interested enough to argue the case.
> Please do comment on these suggestions within a week so we can get on
> with the planning (and launching the contest) soon.
>
> Cheers,
> Pasi
>
> [1]
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/xubuntu-devel/2017-September/011543.html

Frankly I just want the contest done and dusted well before UIF, if for
no other reason than to prove we can actually do things before the last
minute.

Cheers,

Kev

Re: Updated suggestions for the 18.04 wallpaper contest policies

Dave Pearson

On This bit,

How about adding "or with the written permission of the original artist"

Dave

[...]

I'm reluctant to add this bit, because then this can revert back to the previous state – eg. you find some work online and ask the creators permission...

But I do see the point – I'd like to enable submissions for work that are made by somebody in the submitters family or friends, but not "anything".

Cheers,
Pasi