Updating ContributeToUbuntu

Esme Xuan Lim-2
Hi there,

Thanks for being so friendly to the newbies. I'm Esme and I had been
keeping an eye on the mailing list for awhile now.

When I first thought of contributing I was thrown off quite greatly by the
number of channels where documentation could be found. For example, this
contribute guide that I tried to use to contribute (
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ContributeToUbuntu ), I noticed, isn't part of the
CommunityWiki. However it is the first page that comes up for me if I
googled "Ubuntu contribute" and so I've had a want to amend these wiki, at
the very least to point new users in the right direction. I noticed that
Canonical have since created many new ways to engage with its community and
wiki (Discourse vs UbuntuForums; CommunityWiki vs wiki.Ubuntu vs 'Official
docs'), I'd like to update these contribute docs. At the very least I would
like to update information like this so that the barrier to entry doesn't
involve patiently trying to understand which contains the most relevant
information.

To start this I have these questions: Can I ask what purpose the
wiki.ubuntu serves in the context of documentation for contributing? Is
there also anything Doug or Gunnar would like me to add into the wiki for
contributing? You guys are Cannonical devs and I suspect that you two will
have the clearest idea for what the intent for new contributors to look
through will be.

I appreciate that these questions are vague. Quite honestly I'd be happy to
update another contribute guide if they served the purpose of outlining
contribute workflows better. These sources have been quite overwhelming, I
hope that in the devs (or someone knowledgeable really) answering this, we
could try to solve the tangled sources and to make contributing more about
time focused on solving the problem as opposed to trying to understand what
the workflow/toolchain to contributing really is. :)

Thanks
Esme

RE: Updating ContributeToUbuntu

Doug Smythies
On 2020.07.22 08:01 Esme Xuan Lim wrote:

> When I first thought of contributing I was thrown off quite greatly by the
> number of channels where documentation could be found.

So was I.

> To start this I have these questions: Can I ask what purpose the
> wiki.ubuntu serves in the context of documentation for contributing?

Good question.
I have never understood why there are so many avenues for stuff.
It has never made sense to me.

> Is
> there also anything Doug or Gunnar would like me to add into the wiki for
> contributing? You guys are Cannonical devs and I suspect that you two will
> have the clearest idea for what the intent for new contributors to look
> through will be.

No, both of us are just volunteers.

> These sources have been quite overwhelming

Agree. It was rather daunting when I started.

... Doug

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 11:17 PM Doug Smythies wrote:
> > Is there also anything Doug or Gunnar would like me to add into the
wiki for
> > contributing? You guys are Cannonical devs and I suspect that you two
will
> > have the clearest idea for what the intent for new contributors to look
> > through will be.

No, both of us are just volunteers.

First off, sorry about that, ha ha. My mistake. I guess it speaks volumes
to how overwhelming contributing can be.

I guess realizing we're all overwhelmed with how to start things is a good
place to start. In that case I'm going to try to collate information to try
to update this I guess.

To anyone reading this: (but I guess this is in context of a conversation
with me and Doug)
How did you (or anyone reading this) start contributing in the first place?
Was it to the docs team specifically, or have anyone tried contributing to
the software/code side of things?
How did everyone get to where they were in their volunteer 'roles'? Was it
from talking to people?

Esme

On 2020.07.22 08:22 Esme Xuan Lim wrote:

> To anyone reading this: (but I guess this is in context of a conversation with me and Doug)
> How did you (or anyone reading this) start contributing in the first place?
> Was it to the docs team specifically, or have anyone tried contributing to the software/code side of things?
> How did everyone get to where they were in their volunteer 'roles'? Was it from talking to people?

After switching from Red Hat to Ubuntu linux and as a result of building a 10.10 server that served
as a gateway/router/firewall/file-server using mainly the PDF version of the Ubuntu serverguide for
the work, I had entered a couple of bug reports against Ubuntu server. So I thought, well maybe I
can contribute by solving those bug reports myself. A saga ensued, and next thing I know I am a
doc team administrator (as of 2013.02.21).

As for software/code, I mainly contribute upstream via the kernel power management group (linux-pm).
By far, the majority of my linux volunteer hours are spent there.

... Doug