Updating ContributeToUbuntu

Esme Xuan Lim-2
Hello all,

I went ahead to make several updates to
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ContributeToUbuntu as I found much of the advice
useful - though needing some updates to keep up with where conversations
about development and community is.

I noticed that notifications were sent to the following: davidc3,
trippytea, sergio-puas, diogofigueira, fourdollars, benson-arendse,
awadh-al-ghaamdi, zoelagare, juniors1980

I am writing hopefully to notify everyone if that's necessary. It's my
first time contributing and I had a surprise when that came up. I hope
I've not skipped a process of review out of ignorance - I'd appreciate
the feedback if I have.

Otherwise, I hope everyone appreciates the value of my edits. I hope
this helps the next confused little developer:)

Esme

Re: Updating ContributeToUbuntu

Gunnar Hjalmarsson
On 2020-08-12 18:09, Esme Xuan Lim wrote:
> I noticed that notifications were sent to the following: davidc3,
> trippytea, sergio-puas, diogofigueira, fourdollars, benson-arendse,
> awadh-al-ghaamdi, zoelagare, juniors1980
>
> I am writing hopefully to notify everyone if that's necessary. It's
> my first time contributing and I had a surprise when that came up. I
> hope I've not skipped a process of review out of ignorance - I'd
> appreciate the feedback if I have.

AFAIK there is no formal review procedure in place for editing wiki
pages. Personally I apply a simple rule: If I know the topic of the page
well enough, I just edit it if there is a need. Otherwise I keep my
hands off (or at least ask someone first).

This reply in another thread is related:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-doc/2020-July/020742.html

Talking about contributing tips, this discourse page exists:

https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/contribute/26

> Otherwise, I hope everyone appreciates the value of my edits. I hope
> this helps the next confused little developer:)

LGTM. Thanks!

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj

Re: Updating ContributeToUbuntu

Little Girl
Hey there,

Esme Xuan Lim wrote:

>I noticed that notifications were sent to the following: davidc3,
>trippytea, sergio-puas, diogofigueira, fourdollars, benson-arendse,
>awadh-al-ghaamdi, zoelagare, juniors1980
>
>I am writing hopefully to notify everyone if that's necessary. It's
>my first time contributing and I had a surprise when that came up. I
>hope I've not skipped a process of review out of ignorance - I'd
>appreciate the feedback if I have.

That's a list of the people who are subscribed to the page you
changed. Anyone can subscribe to any page. What it does is make it so
subscribers will be automatically notified when a change is made to a
page.

You might want to subscribe to pages you've changed so you can keep
tabs on what others do with them in the future. Then you can join in
again if you feel a page would benefit from further edits from you.

Here's some more information on subscribing to wiki pages:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HelpOnSubscribing

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

Re: Updating ContributeToUbuntu

Esme Xuan Lim-2
Hello all,

Thank you Gunnar and Little Girl for the pointers and resources. They've
been greatly helpful as I'm learning about the tools :)

On 13/08/2020 00:32, Nio Wiklund wrote:

> Hi Esme,
>
> Thanks for spending time to improve the Ubuntu Wiki page :-)
>
> When you are at it, I would suggest that you add links to the other
> community teams, that are not mentioned. I think the reason is that
> they did not exist, when the list was created.
>
> You can find the current flavours at
>
> https://releases.ubuntu.com/

Hi Nio,

I'll have a look at these resources for incorporating various community
teams, thanks:) I guess I've turned this pet peeve of mine about how
undermaintained the documentation is that I'll probably be working on it
as I learn more about the community. I have adding the flavors and
communities to the list as well. Might actually talk about the community
in another page though. I suspect the contribute guide intimidates
newcomers from its sheer length

Esme Xuan Lim wrote:

>Thank you Gunnar and Little Girl for the pointers and resources.
>They've been greatly helpful as I'm learning about the tools :)

It sounds like you're off to a terrific start and your contributions
are and will be greatly appreciated.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.