Upgrade Trail

Bill Vance
Howdy;

I'm using 10.04 at the moment.  Which of the newer distro's
is the long term support one?

Using apt-get/synaptic/et al, is there a direct path there,
or do I have to go through each intervening one to get to
the wanted distro?

Thanks in advance.

Bill

Re: Upgrade Trail

Leslie Anne Chatterton

The next long term support version is 12.04, coming out in a few weeks. I'm pretty sure you can't upgrade directly from 10.04. If you have a separate home directory you can do a clean install without losing any data, but you will need to reinstall all applications.

Sent from my XOOM Android Tablet

On Apr 15, 2012 3:06 AM, "Bill Vance" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Howdy;

I'm using 10.04 at the moment.  Which of the newer distro's
is the long term support one?

Using apt-get/synaptic/et al, is there a direct path there,
or do I have to go through each intervening one to get to
the wanted distro?

Thanks in advance.

Bill

Re: Upgrade Trail

O. Sinclair
On 15/04/12 09:26, Leslie Anne Chatterton wrote:

> The next long term support version is 12.04, coming out in a few weeks.
> I'm pretty sure you can't upgrade directly from 10.04. If you have a
> separate home directory you can do a clean install without losing any
> data, but you will need to reinstall all applications.
>
> Sent from my XOOM Android Tablet
>
> On Apr 15, 2012 3:06 AM, "Bill Vance" <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Howdy;
>
>     I'm using 10.04 at the moment.  Which of the newer distro's
>     is the long term support one?
>
>     Using apt-get/synaptic/et al, is there a direct path there,
>     or do I have to go through each intervening one to get to
>     the wanted distro?

As noted, next LTS is 12.04 end of April. Upgrade methods will be
published at the time, I am sure.

However, at least in my experience, something always goes belly up
during upgrade whether it is due to bad internet or the complexity of
the whole procedure or whatever.

I would backup all my data and make a clean sweep install instead. If
you have a separate /home partition you are then ready to go, if not you
have to restore your data. And then of course reinstall your favorite
software.

Re: Upgrade Trail

Nils Kassube-2
Bill Vance wrote:
> I'm using 10.04 at the moment.  Which of the newer distro's
> is the long term support one?

12.04 - it will be available at the end of this month.

> Using apt-get/synaptic/et al, is there a direct path there,

Yes. Here are the upgrade instructions (for the current beta version, I
suppose it will be updated after release):
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PreciseUpgrades/Kubuntu/10.04LTS>

> or do I have to go through each intervening one to get to
> the wanted distro?

No. LTS -> LTS upgrades are direct upgrades. But as always, something
can go wrong depending on your installed packages. Therefore make
backups of your important data before you upgrade.

Nils

Re: Upgrade Trail

Eric Jackson-5
On 04/15/2012 04:02 AM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Bill Vance wrote:
>> I'm using 10.04 at the moment.  Which of the newer distro's
>> is the long term support one?
> 12.04 - it will be available at the end of this month.
>
>> Using apt-get/synaptic/et al, is there a direct path there,
> Yes. Here are the upgrade instructions (for the current beta version, I
> suppose it will be updated after release):
> <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PreciseUpgrades/Kubuntu/10.04LTS>

I tried following those instructions yesterday and they didn't work for
me. It did upgrade to 10.10  but not to 12.4 LTS.

>> or do I have to go through each intervening one to get to
>> the wanted distro?
> No. LTS ->  LTS upgrades are direct upgrades. But as always, something
> can go wrong depending on your installed packages. Therefore make
> backups of your important data before you upgrade.
>

> Nils

Re: Upgrade Trail

David Fletcher-5
On Sun, 2012-04-15 at 00:21 -0700, Bill Vance wrote:

> Using apt-get/synaptic/et al, is there a direct path there,
> or do I have to go through each intervening one to get to
> the wanted distro?

For some years my strategy has been:-

Hard drives are cheap so there's no harm in having a spare one on the
shelf.

So, take a backup of everything that's needed, swap to the spare drive,
do a complete wipe and fresh install, restore the backed up data to the
new installation.

The drive containing the old OS version then goes onto the shelf as the
spare. It still holds everything from before the upgrade so if you find
you missed something important, it's not a disaster.

If you install a hard drive caddy system the drive swap operation
becomes trivial, although the fans in these can be ultra cheap rubbish
so be prepared to replace them with better ones.

Dave

RE: Upgrade Trail

Steve Cookson
Hi Bill,

I agree with the others here, upgrades are not good.

1) They are amazingly slow - my last attempt was over 24 hours!
2) After this long wait something has gone wrong.

But I can do a rebuild in 2-3 hours including backup and restore of data.
And it's largely unattended.

As someone else suggested, I keep a second disk, actually in the same
cabinet, and I do regular backups to it so that I can anyway restore easily
whatever happens.

I also have an install script (./install.sh). Part of which is shown in my
PS.  The full script is quite long, like 4 pages to print out.

But the whole thing is quite painless.

Regards

Steve.

PS - ./install.sh

#!/bin/bash

#
# Update sources for ubuntu apt repository to main repository.  Some local
respositories don't have everything
# (eg using kpackagekit, set server to 'main'
# Whie you're doing this manually intensive stuff, also configure cpan and
set prepend requirements to yes.
# I have backed up the ubunto apt repsitory to a stored file.  Thes two
lines take a backup and restore from stored version.
# cp /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.backup
# cp
/media/7ec5fbfe-19e4-4d78-9a7a-c38b1f1c61f9/installation/Install_Scripts/sou
rces.list /etc/apt/sources.list
apt-get update

apt-get -y autoremove
apt-get -y upgrade

#Development environment.
apt-get -y install subversion
apt-get -y install cvs
apt-get -y install g++
apt-get -y install gcc
#apt-get -y install python-wxglade
#apt-get -y install padre
apt-get -y install libgconf2-dev
apt-get -y install libgtk2.0-dev

#Perl environment
#apt-get -y install libwx-perl-processstream-perl
#apt-get -y install libwx-perl-dialog-perl
#apt-get -y install libwx-perl

#Video enviroment
apt-get -y install ffmpeg
apt-get -y install ffmpeg-doc
apt-get -y install alsa-oss
apt-get -y install faac

Re: Upgrade Trail

Nils Kassube-2
eric jackson wrote:
> On 04/15/2012 04:02 AM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Yes. Here are the upgrade instructions (for the current beta
> > version, I suppose it will be updated after release):
> > <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PreciseUpgrades/Kubuntu/10.04LTS>
>
> I tried following those instructions yesterday and they didn't work
> for me. It did upgrade to 10.10  but not to 12.4 LTS.

Strange! Being curious I tried it myself on a copy of my main system
after I received your mail. It worked as described on the referenced
page, i.e. I got 12.04. Did you perhaps omit the "-d" option at the end
of the command? The "-d" is needed as it tells the program to upgrade to
the development version. I think it would upgrade to the next released
version otherwise which would have been 10.10 indeed.

Nils

Re: Upgrade Trail

Nils Kassube-2
Leslie Anne Chatterton wrote:
> The next long term support version is 12.04, coming out in a few
> weeks. I'm pretty sure you can't upgrade directly from 10.04. If you
> have a separate home directory you can do a clean install without
> losing any data, but you will need to reinstall all applications.

You can also do a fresh install if you don't have a separate home
partition. At the partitioning option use the manual partitioning and
use the current root partition. Keep the file system type as it is and
select not to format the partition. Then the installer will overwrite
only the system directories but not /home (and maybe some others which I
don't remember).

Nils

Re: Upgrade Trail

Nils Kassube-2
Steve Cookson wrote:
> I agree with the others here, upgrades are not good.

I prefer upgrades - it saves a lot of time needed to install and
configure all the applications as they were before the upgrade. I don't
remember a really catastrophic upgrade. OTOH, I'm familiar enough with
the system to overcome minor problems.

> 1) They are amazingly slow - my last attempt was over 24 hours!

That depends on your internet connection speed, amount of installed
packages and machine speed. For me it was less than 2 hours + download
time for about 2100 installed packages.

> But I can do a rebuild in 2-3 hours including backup and restore of
> data. And it's largely unattended.

Well, I would need several days to find all the packages I want to have
on the machine and configure everything to my liking, so YMMV.

Nils

Re: Upgrade Trail

Bruce Marshall
On Sunday, April 15, 2012 05:56:52 PM Nils Kassube wrote:
> Well, I would need several days to find all the packages I want to have
> on the machine and configure everything to my liking, so YMMV.

Take a look at:

dpkg --get-selections

and:

dpkg --set-selections

I always do fresh installs and use the above to list the packages I had on the
previous release and then install them with one command on the new release.

The one command needed  is to use  DSELECT  which will need to be installed on
the new release as it doesn't come with the release.

Re: Upgrade Trail

José Queiroz
Em 15 de abril de 2012 08:32, eric jackson <[hidden email]> escreveu:

> On 04/15/2012 04:02 AM, Nils Kassube wrote:
>>
>> Bill Vance wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm using 10.04 at the moment.  Which of the newer distro's
>>> is the long term support one?
>>
>> 12.04 - it will be available at the end of this month.
>>
>>> Using apt-get/synaptic/et al, is there a direct path there,
>>
>> Yes. Here are the upgrade instructions (for the current beta version, I
>> suppose it will be updated after release):
>> <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PreciseUpgrades/Kubuntu/10.04LTS>
>

> I tried following those instructions yesterday and they didn't work for me.
> It did upgrade to 10.10  but not to 12.4 LTS.

It's because 12.04LTS is *not out yet*. If you had waited for it to
get out, by the end of april, you would do the right update.

Re: Upgrade Trail

Nils Kassube-2
Bruce Marshall wrote:

> On Sunday, April 15, 2012 05:56:52 PM Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Well, I would need several days to find all the packages I want to
> > have on the machine and configure everything to my liking, so
> > YMMV.
>
> Take a look at:
>
> dpkg --get-selections
>
> and:
>
> dpkg --set-selections

Good point. Does it work with packages which are missing or have
different names on the new release?

Nils

Re: Upgrade Trail

Bruce Marshall
On Sunday, April 15, 2012 06:36:33 PM Nils Kassube wrote:

> Bruce Marshall wrote:
> > On Sunday, April 15, 2012 05:56:52 PM Nils Kassube wrote:
> > > Well, I would need several days to find all the packages I want to
> > > have on the machine and configure everything to my liking, so
> > > YMMV.
> >
> > Take a look at:
> >
> > dpkg --get-selections
> >
> > and:
> >
> > dpkg --set-selections
>
> Good point. Does it work with packages which are missing or have
> different names on the new release?

Probably not but I've never had any big problems.....  but look over the
install list from dselect carefully,  I have seen it uninstall kde-desktop and
a lot of other kde stuff but never went in to find out why.

Re: Upgrade Trail

Eric Jackson-5
On 04/15/2012 11:39 AM, Nils Kassube wrote:

> eric jackson wrote:
>> On 04/15/2012 04:02 AM, Nils Kassube wrote:
>>> Yes. Here are the upgrade instructions (for the current beta
>>> version, I suppose it will be updated after release):
>>> <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PreciseUpgrades/Kubuntu/10.04LTS>
>> I tried following those instructions yesterday and they didn't work
>> for me. It did upgrade to 10.10  but not to 12.4 LTS.
> Strange! Being curious I tried it myself on a copy of my main system
> after I received your mail. It worked as described on the referenced
> page, i.e. I got 12.04. Did you perhaps omit the "-d" option at the end
> of the command? The "-d" is needed as it tells the program to upgrade to
> the development version. I think it would upgrade to the next released
> version otherwise which would have been 10.10 indeed.

The best I can say is that I think I included the -d.

Eric

> Nils

Re: Upgrade Trail

Eric Jackson-5
On 04/15/2012 12:30 PM, José Queiroz wrote:

> Em 15 de abril de 2012 08:32, eric jackson<[hidden email]>  escreveu:
>>> 12.04 - it will be available at the end of this month.

>>> Yes. Here are the upgrade instructions (for the current beta version, I
>>> suppose it will be updated after release):
>>> <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PreciseUpgrades/Kubuntu/10.04LTS>
>>
>> I tried following those instructions yesterday and they didn't work for me.
>> It did upgrade to 10.10  but not to 12.4 LTS.
>>
> It's because 12.04LTS is *not out yet*. If you had waited for it to
> get out, by the end of april, you would do the right update.

No, that's not the reason. Somebody else said that it worked for them.
It gave them the beta version which is available.

Eric

Re: Upgrade Trail

Steve Riley-6
On 2012-04-15 10:39:59 Steve Cookson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I also have an install script (./install.sh). Part of which is shown in my
> PS.  The full script is quite long, like 4 pages to print out.

Hey, would you mind sharing your script, maybe put it on Pastebin and then
provide the URL?

I'm always interested in how people tinker with their machines.

I've documented my manual steps in a post on the Kubuntu Forum,
http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?56552. I do need to make an update
to this, as I've switched Phonon's backend from GStreamer to VLC.

...Steve