Upgrade from 16.04.x to 18.04.3 broke system - was Upgrade paths from UbuntuMATE 16.04.x and 18.04.x to 19.10

Upgrade from 16.04.x to 18.04.3 broke system - was Upgrade paths from UbuntuMATE 16.04.x and 18.04.x to 19.10

Bret Busby-2
It occurred to me that I should repost the message below, with a
subject that better indicates what has happened.

Re: Upgrade from 16.04.x to 18.04.3 broke system - was Upgrade paths from UbuntuMATE 16.04.x and 18.04.x to 19.10

Little Girl
Hey there,

Bret Busby wrote:

>Rebooted.
>
>Broken.
>
>Upon rebooting, I get the GRUB menu, either wait for it to timeout
>and boot by default into Ubuntu, or hit <Return> with the default
>highlighting being for Ubuntu, and I get, first, the terminal level
>login displayed, then the screen goes black, then I get, in the
>middle of the screen, the UbuntuMATE logo, with the five dots below
>it, with them taking turns to change from white to green and back
>again, below the logo.
>
>Then, after a minute or two of that, the screen goes black, and
>stays black.

This may or may not help, but it worked for us once upon a time when
we had the dreaded black screen on boot:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/162075/my-computer-boots-to-a-black-screen-what-options-do-i-have-to-fix-it/162076#162076

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

On 14/10/2019, Little Girl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey there,
>
> Bret Busby wrote:
>
>>Rebooted.
>>
>>Broken.
>>
>>Upon rebooting, I get the GRUB menu, either wait for it to timeout
>>and boot by default into Ubuntu, or hit <Return> with the default
>>highlighting being for Ubuntu, and I get, first, the terminal level
>>login displayed, then the screen goes black, then I get, in the
>>middle of the screen, the UbuntuMATE logo, with the five dots below
>>it, with them taking turns to change from white to green and back
>>again, below the logo.
>>
>>Then, after a minute or two of that, the screen goes black, and
>>stays black.
>
> This may or may not help, but it worked for us once upon a time when
> we had the dreaded black screen on boot:
>
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/162075/my-computer-boots-to-a-black-screen-what-options-do-i-have-to-fix-it/162076#162076
>
> --
> Little Girl
>
> There is no spoon.

But, ..."Just a spoonful of sugar..."

The suggested remedy at the URL;

"
If your graphics card is Nvidia, follow these steps:

In the GRUB menu at startup, press e; then,
Use the arrow keys to replace quiet splash with no splash or nomodeset.
Then press the Ctrl+x key combination to boot.
"

worked - thank you for that.

I replaced "quiet splash" with "nomodeset".

Now, ....

as mentioned, the affected computer, is the one where a previous
problem caused me to lose the GUI for my primary user account, leading
me to set up a secondary user account for which the GUI worked.

Now, after the upgrade from 16.04.x to 18.04.3, the secondary user
account GUI appears to work okay, but (I had hoped that the upgrade
would fix the panel problem causing the GUI problem in my primary user
account, but, it did not), now, when I use the switch user facility,
when I try to log in as the primary user, I log in, and, am returned
to the primary user login screen.

Can this be fixed, and, if so, how?

Bret Busby wrote:
>Little Girl wrote:

>> There is no spoon.

>But, ..."Just a spoonful of sugar..."

If only...

>The suggested remedy at the URL;
>
>"
>If your graphics card is Nvidia, follow these steps:
>
>In the GRUB menu at startup, press e; then,
>Use the arrow keys to replace quiet splash with no splash or
>nomodeset. Then press the Ctrl+x key combination to boot.
>"
>
>worked - thank you for that.
>
>I replaced "quiet splash" with "nomodeset".

I'm glad it worked.

>Now, ....
>
>as mentioned, the affected computer, is the one where a previous
>problem caused me to lose the GUI for my primary user account,
>leading me to set up a secondary user account for which the GUI
>worked.
>
>Now, after the upgrade from 16.04.x to 18.04.3, the secondary user
>account GUI appears to work okay, but (I had hoped that the upgrade
>would fix the panel problem causing the GUI problem in my primary
>user account, but, it did not), now, when I use the switch user
>facility, when I try to log in as the primary user, I log in, and,
>am returned to the primary user login screen.
>
>Can this be fixed, and, if so, how?

This page is pretty old, but one of the people who used it posted not
all that long ago, so maybe it will be of some use:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/628974/ubuntu-14-04-returns-to-login-screen-after-login

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

On 15/10/2019, Little Girl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey there,
>
> Bret Busby wrote:
>>Little Girl wrote:
>
>>> There is no spoon.
>
>>But, ..."Just a spoonful of sugar..."
>
> If only...
>
>>The suggested remedy at the URL;
>>
>>"
>>If your graphics card is Nvidia, follow these steps:
>>
>>In the GRUB menu at startup, press e; then,
>>Use the arrow keys to replace quiet splash with no splash or
>>nomodeset. Then press the Ctrl+x key combination to boot.
>>"
>>
>>worked - thank you for that.
>>
>>I replaced "quiet splash" with "nomodeset".
>
> I'm glad it worked.
>
>>Now, ....
>>
>>as mentioned, the affected computer, is the one where a previous
>>problem caused me to lose the GUI for my primary user account,
>>leading me to set up a secondary user account for which the GUI
>>worked.
>>
>>Now, after the upgrade from 16.04.x to 18.04.3, the secondary user
>>account GUI appears to work okay, but (I had hoped that the upgrade
>>would fix the panel problem causing the GUI problem in my primary
>>user account, but, it did not), now, when I use the switch user
>>facility, when I try to log in as the primary user, I log in, and,
>>am returned to the primary user login screen.
>>
>>Can this be fixed, and, if so, how?
>
> This page is pretty old, but one of the people who used it posted not
> all that long ago, so maybe it will be of some use:
>
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/628974/ubuntu-14-04-returns-to-login-screen-after-login

I tried the

"
Press Ctrl + Alt + F1 and log in there and run:

sudo chown -R $USER:$USER $HOME
Then press Ctrl + Alt + F7 and try to log in.
"

and got continuously scrolling screens of "Operation not permitted",
relating to system files, so aborted it with <CTRL><C> then rebooted,
and now, it displays the GRUB menu, I select Ubuntu, then it briefly
displays a console login prompt, then the screen goes black, then it
goes into an endless loop of black screen _> flash -> black screen.

And, I can not apply <CTRL><ALT><F1> to get to a console terminal.

So now, the system appears to be completely broken and unusable in Linux.

Bret Busby wrote:
>Little Girl wrote:

>> This page is pretty old, but one of the people who used it posted
>> not all that long ago, so maybe it will be of some use:
>>
>> https://askubuntu.com/questions/628974/ubuntu-14-04-returns-to-login-screen-after-login
>
>I tried the
>
>"
>Press Ctrl + Alt + F1 and log in there and run:
>
>sudo chown -R $USER:$USER $HOME
>Then press Ctrl + Alt + F7 and try to log in.
>"
>
>and got continuously scrolling screens of "Operation not permitted",
>relating to system files, so aborted it with <CTRL><C> then rebooted,
>and now, it displays the GRUB menu, I select Ubuntu, then it briefly
>displays a console login prompt, then the screen goes black, then it
>goes into an endless loop of black screen _> flash -> black screen.
>
>And, I can not apply <CTRL><ALT><F1> to get to a console terminal.
>
>So now, the system appears to be completely broken and unusable in
>Linux.

I'm sorry to hear that. Can you make a different selection from the
GRUB menu? Below are a few links that may or may not help:

Is this of any use?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG4deLa_vK8

This may or may not be of some use:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/628974/ubuntu-14-04-returns-to-login-screen-after-login

This one is for Linux Mint, but may have some useful portions:

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=261704

Here's another that may be of some use:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/937712/ubuntu-randomly-started-blinking-the-screen-on-boot

And another that's more recent that may be of some use:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1031928/screen-flickering-on-boot-after-upgrade-to-18-04-and-slow-boot?noredirect=1

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

Re: Upgrade from 16.04.x to 18.04.3 broke system - was Upgrade paths from UbuntuMATE 16.04.x and 18.04.x to 19.10

Bret Busby-2
On 15/10/2019, Little Girl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey there,
>
> Bret Busby wrote:
>>Little Girl wrote:
>
>>> This page is pretty old, but one of the people who used it posted
>>> not all that long ago, so maybe it will be of some use:
>>>
>>> https://askubuntu.com/questions/628974/ubuntu-14-04-returns-to-login-screen-after-login
>>
>>I tried the
>>
>>"
>>Press Ctrl + Alt + F1 and log in there and run:
>>
>>sudo chown -R $USER:$USER $HOME
>>Then press Ctrl + Alt + F7 and try to log in.
>>"
>>
>>and got continuously scrolling screens of "Operation not permitted",
>>relating to system files, so aborted it with <CTRL><C> then rebooted,
>>and now, it displays the GRUB menu, I select Ubuntu, then it briefly
>>displays a console login prompt, then the screen goes black, then it
>>goes into an endless loop of black screen _> flash -> black screen.
>>
>>And, I can not apply <CTRL><ALT><F1> to get to a console terminal.
>>
>>So now, the system appears to be completely broken and unusable in
>>Linux.
>
> I'm sorry to hear that. Can you make a different selection from the
> GRUB menu? Below are a few links that may or may not help:
>
> Is this of any use?
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG4deLa_vK8
>
> This may or may not be of some use:
>
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/628974/ubuntu-14-04-returns-to-login-screen-after-login
>
> This one is for Linux Mint, but may have some useful portions:
>
> https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=261704
>
> Here's another that may be of some use:
>
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/937712/ubuntu-randomly-started-blinking-the-screen-on-boot
>
> And another that's more recent that may be of some use:
>
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/1031928/screen-flickering-on-boot-after-upgrade-to-18-04-and-slow-boot?noredirect=1
>
> --
> Little Girl
>
> There is no spoon.

I am thinking that

"

>>I tried the
>>
>>"
>>Press Ctrl + Alt + F1 and log in there and run:
>>
>>sudo chown -R $USER:$USER $HOME
>>Then press Ctrl + Alt + F7 and try to log in.
>>"
>>
>>and got continuously scrolling screens of "Operation not permitted",
>>relating to system files, so aborted it with <CTRL><C> then rebooted,
>>and now, it displays the GRUB menu, I select Ubuntu, then it briefly
>>displays a console login prompt, then the screen goes black, then it
>>goes into an endless loop of black screen _> flash -> black screen.

"

has eliminated the /home directory and corrupted the file system.

After various subsequent actions, upon rebooting, I now get a console
login screen, and it does not progress beyond that screen.

When I log in, I get
"
No directory, logging in with HOME=/
-bash: cannot create temp file for here-document: No space left on device
"

So. I think that command has corrupted the filesystem.

I do not know, but I think the only thing left for me to do, now, is
wait until 19.10 is released (as I previously mentioned, the
UbuntuMATE Release Notes for 19.10, state that it has multiple fixes,
and is supposed to be better for nVIDIA stuff (the affected computer
has nVIDIA Optimus, which. I think, has thus far been dealt with by
nouveau) ), and do a "clean install", replacing the current UbuntuMATE
system with a new install of 19.04 .

I should probably have progressively updated the system, to 19.10,
instead of wrecking the system by trying the fixes that I tried.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

Re: Upgrade from 16.04.x to 18.04.3 broke system - was Upgrade paths from UbuntuMATE 16.04.x and 18.04.x to 19.10

Oliver Grawert
hi,

Am Dienstag, den 15.10.2019, 12:08 +0800 schrieb Bret Busby:
> No space left on device

well. this should give you some hint ;)

ciao
        oli

On 15/10/2019, Oliver Grawert <[hidden email]> wrote:
> hi,
>
> Am Dienstag, den 15.10.2019, 12:08 +0800 schrieb Bret Busby:
>> No space left on device
>
> well. this should give you some hint ;)
>
> ciao
> oli

Yes.

I had downloaded a 19.04 iso, and booted into that, and used the
partition manager to double the size of the / partition (which at
present, includes /home).

I will later try again to boot into Ubuntu, to get the data out
applicable to the Ubuntu installation, and, it has an old Debian
installation, and, the /home partition for that, so, I will find what
I can do about extracting all the data from the Linux installations,
then attempt a system rebuild, with repartitioning, and, more
properly, implementing a separate /home partition for Ubuntu.

Bret Busby wrote:

>I am thinking that
>
>"
>>>I tried the
>>>
>>>"
>>>Press Ctrl + Alt + F1 and log in there and run:
>>>
>>>sudo chown -R $USER:$USER $HOME
>>>Then press Ctrl + Alt + F7 and try to log in.
>>>"
>>>
>>>and got continuously scrolling screens of "Operation not
>>>permitted", relating to system files, so aborted it with <CTRL><C>
>>>then rebooted, and now, it displays the GRUB menu, I select
>>>Ubuntu, then it briefly displays a console login prompt, then the
>>>screen goes black, then it goes into an endless loop of black
>>>screen _> flash -> black screen.
>>>
>"
>
>has eliminated the /home directory and corrupted the file system.

That command changed the ownership (chown) of all files in the
current user's ($USER) home directory ($HOME) recursively (-R) to the
current user ($USER) and also changed the group ownership of the
files to the current user(:$USER).

See the chown man page for the details:

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/trusty/man1/chown.1.html

>After various subsequent actions, upon rebooting, I now get a console
>login screen, and it does not progress beyond that screen.
>
>When I log in, I get
>"
>No directory, logging in with HOME=/
>-bash: cannot create temp file for here-document: No space left on
>device "
>
>So. I think that command has corrupted the filesystem.

I suspect that when you ran the command above, you were root rather
than you, so you changed ownership of your home to root. This page
might help with that:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47827893/no-directory-logging-in-with-home

Your issue is bigger than ownership, though, as Oliver Grawert
pointed out in this thread. You're out of room. Is this a virtual
machine and/or are you able to give it more space?

>I do not know, but I think the only thing left for me to do, now, is
>wait until 19.10 is released (as I previously mentioned, the
>UbuntuMATE Release Notes for 19.10, state that it has multiple fixes,
>and is supposed to be better for nVIDIA stuff (the affected computer
>has nVIDIA Optimus, which. I think, has thus far been dealt with by
>nouveau) ), and do a "clean install", replacing the current
>UbuntuMATE system with a new install of 19.04 .

I always do clean installations rather than upgrades, so that
sounds like a solid plan to me. You may not have to wait, however, if
the above solution helps and if you take care of your space issue.

>I should probably have progressively updated the system, to 19.10,
>instead of wrecking the system by trying the fixes that I tried.

I feel badly about that since your experiments were from pages I had
mentioned. Hopefully you've made backups so that you can start over.
Trying fixes can definitely be risky and should usually be thoroughly
researched. In the crafting and/or handy worlds, we have a saying
that goes: "Measure twice. Cut once." I think that applies nicely to
experimentation with operating systems, too.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

Re: Upgrade from 16.04.x to 18.04.3 broke system - was Upgrade paths from UbuntuMATE 16.04.x and 18.04.x to 19.10

Bret Busby-2
On 15/10/2019, Little Girl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey there,
>
> Bret Busby wrote:
>
>>I am thinking that
>>
>>"

>>"
>>
>>has eliminated the /home directory and corrupted the file system.
>
> That command changed the ownership (chown) of all files in the
> current user's ($USER) home directory ($HOME) recursively (-R) to the
> current user ($USER) and also changed the group ownership of the
> files to the current user(:$USER).
>
> See the chown man page for the details:
>
> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/trusty/man1/chown.1.html
>
>>After various subsequent actions, upon rebooting, I now get a console
>>login screen, and it does not progress beyond that screen.
>>
>>When I log in, I get
>>"
>>No directory, logging in with HOME=/
>>-bash: cannot create temp file for here-document: No space left on
>>device "
>>
>>So. I think that command has corrupted the filesystem.
>
> I suspect that when you ran the command above, you were root rather
> than you, so you changed ownership of your home to root. This page
> might help with that:
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47827893/no-directory-logging-in-with-home
>
> Your issue is bigger than ownership, though, as Oliver Grawert
> pointed out in this thread. You're out of room. Is this a virtual
> machine and/or are you able to give it more space?
>
>>I do not know, but I think the only thing left for me to do, now, is
>>wait until 19.10 is released (as I previously mentioned, the
>>UbuntuMATE Release Notes for 19.10, state that it has multiple fixes,
>>and is supposed to be better for nVIDIA stuff (the affected computer
>>has nVIDIA Optimus, which. I think, has thus far been dealt with by
>>nouveau) ), and do a "clean install", replacing the current
>>UbuntuMATE system with a new install of 19.04 .
>
> I always do clean installations rather than upgrades, so that
> sounds like a solid plan to me. You may not have to wait, however, if
> the above solution helps and if you take care of your space issue.
>
>>I should probably have progressively updated the system, to 19.10,
>>instead of wrecking the system by trying the fixes that I tried.
>
> I feel badly about that since your experiments were from pages I had
> mentioned. Hopefully you've made backups so that you can start over.
> Trying fixes can definitely be risky and should usually be thoroughly
> researched. In the crafting and/or handy worlds, we have a saying
> that goes: "Measure twice. Cut once." I think that applies nicely to
> experimentation with operating systems, too.

This seems to have worked out a bit like the Chinese parable "The old
man who lost a horse" (well worth reading and understanding).

I copied what data I could access, from the Debian (version 6 - hadn't
looked at it for years) and UbuntuMATE installations, eliminated the
Debian and Ubuntu installations, did a bit of repartitioning, to
expand the / and /swap partitions, and, installed UbuntuMATE 19.04,
with a properly now separate /home partition, and now, it works
better, including that the wifi now works with UbuntuMATE.

However, I lost (gave up on) the data associated with my primary user
account in UbuntuMATE 18.04.

"Such is life".

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know wh (well worth reading and understandingat the answer means."

Bret Busby wrote:

>This seems to have worked out a bit like the Chinese parable "The old
>man who lost a horse" (well worth reading and understanding).

I see.

>I copied what data I could access, from the Debian (version 6 -
>hadn't looked at it for years) and UbuntuMATE installations,
>eliminated the Debian and Ubuntu installations, did a bit of
>repartitioning, to expand the / and /swap partitions, and, installed
>UbuntuMATE 19.04, with a properly now separate /home partition, and
>now, it works better, including that the wifi now works with
>UbuntuMATE.

What do you mean by "eliminated the Debian and Ubuntu installations"
above? Has the data you weren't able to retrieve by other means now
been deleted? Or does everything still exist?

>However, I lost (gave up on) the data associated with my primary user
>account in UbuntuMATE 18.04.
>
>"Such is life".

No, no. It still exists (unless you've eliminated it above). You
changed the ownership of it and just need to change ownership again.
You should be able to follow the last link I sent you to use the
command to change the ownership to yourself instead of root. Here's
hoping you can still do that.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

On 17/10/2019, Little Girl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey there,
>
> Bret Busby wrote:
>
>>This seems to have worked out a bit like the Chinese parable "The old
>>man who lost a horse" (well worth reading and understanding).
>
> I see.
>
>>I copied what data I could access, from the Debian (version 6 -
>>hadn't looked at it for years) and UbuntuMATE installations,
>>eliminated the Debian and Ubuntu installations, did a bit of
>>repartitioning, to expand the / and /swap partitions, and, installed
>>UbuntuMATE 19.04, with a properly now separate /home partition, and
>>now, it works better, including that the wifi now works with
>>UbuntuMATE.
>
> What do you mean by "eliminated the Debian and Ubuntu installations"
> above? Has the data you weren't able to retrieve by other means now
> been deleted? Or does everything still exist?

Deleted the partitions, and repartitioned where they were.

Bret Busby wrote:
>Little Girl wrote:
>> Bret Busby wrote:

>>>I copied what data I could access, from the Debian (version 6 -
>>>hadn't looked at it for years) and UbuntuMATE installations,
>>>eliminated the Debian and Ubuntu installations, did a bit of
>>>repartitioning, to expand the / and /swap partitions, and,
>>>installed UbuntuMATE 19.04, with a properly now separate /home
>>>partition, and now, it works better, including that the wifi now
>>>works with UbuntuMATE.

>> What do you mean by "eliminated the Debian and Ubuntu
>> installations" above? Has the data you weren't able to retrieve by
>> other means now been deleted? Or does everything still exist?

>Deleted the partitions, and repartitioned where they were.

That's a shame. Well, there's no going back. I hope you have better
luck in the future and I'm glad it's currently working better.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

Re: Upgrade from 16.04.x to 18.04.3 broke system - was Upgrade paths from UbuntuMATE 16.04.x and 18.04.x to 19.10

ubuntu-users mailing list
On Thu, 17 Oct 2019 09:54:42 -0400, Little Girl wrote:
>Well, there's no going back.

[satire] There are rumours that recovery is possible, unless the HDD
wasn't 38 times overwritten at full moon and/or in Stonehenge or inside
of the Great Pyramid of Giza, with the chars of the lyrics of the Sailor
Moon song. You only need to use your magnetic force microscope and a
little bit of time to take a look at the magnetic particles that
represent a single bit of the few bits a several hundred GiB HDD
contains. [/satire]

On Thu, 17 Oct 2019 16:25:11 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

>On Thu, 17 Oct 2019 09:54:42 -0400, Little Girl wrote:
>>Well, there's no going back.
>
>[satire] There are rumours that recovery is possible, unless the HDD
>wasn't 38 times overwritten at full moon and/or in Stonehenge or inside
>of the Great Pyramid of Giza, with the chars of the lyrics of the
>Sailor Moon song. You only need to use your magnetic force microscope
>and a little bit of time to take a look at the magnetic particles that
>represent a single bit of the few bits a several hundred GiB HDD
>contains. [/satire]

FWIW after reformatting a HDD data rescue by software is really still
possible, but it only could restore some dirs and files and won't
restore the original structure, to allow just changing the ownership,
so in this case there's really no going back.