Upgrade to 18.04 from 16.04

O. Sinclair
Dear all
was this not supposed to be possible in late July?

kind regards, Sinclair

Re: Upgrade to 18.04 from 16.04

Eric Jackson-5
It worked for me a couple of days ago.

On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 7:00 PM, O. Sinclair <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear all
was this not supposed to be possible in late July?

kind regards, Sinclair

Re: Upgrade to 18.04 from 16.04

Luca Olivetti
El 16/8/18 a les 02:13, Eric Jackson ha escrit:
> I'm not sure why you didn't get a notification but I got one. My
> computer is also 64 bit.

I have a couple of computers (64 bits) where I *never* get a new release
notification[*], I always have to manually execute a do-release-upgrade.
I have set discover to notify me of normal releases.

Regards

[*] I don't remember the kubuntu version I started with, IIRC I was
notified of the first release upgrade but never again after that one.

Bye
--
Luca

Re: Upgrade to 18.04 from 16.04

Eric Jackson-5
This is for Ubuntu but it may work for Kubuntu also. The next to last line might be different but if it doesn't tell you an upgrade is ready you won't have done anything to your system.

Upgrading from Ubuntu 16.04 LTS or 17.10

To upgrade on a desktop system:

  • Open the "Software & Updates" Setting in System Settings.

  • Select the 3rd Tab called "Updates".
  • Set the "Notify me of a new Ubuntu version" drop down menu to "For any new version" if you are using 16.04 LTS; set it to "For long-term support versions" if you are using 17.10.
  • Press Alt+F2 and type  update-manager -c   into the command box.

  • Update Manager should open up and tell you that Ubuntu 18.04 LTS is now available.
  • If not you can run  /usr/lib/ubuntu-release-upgrader/check-new-release-gtk

  • Click Upgrade and follow the on-screen instructions.

Eric Jackson