Upgrade to 20.04.1 disaster

MR ZenWiz
I'm not sure if the upgrade completed - it took way too short a time.

When the system came up again,, I observe the following critical problems.

1. The system doesn;'t see my USB WiFi adapter, so I get no internet at all.

2. It also doesn't see about half of my USB devices, and lsusb hangs
with only about 5 or six entries showing.  The one I see is my HP
All-in-One 4654, but not my Brother or any of the flash drives I plug
into the front panel connections.

3. When I try to shut down, it hangs with the message "kvm: exiting
hardware virtualization" - I had no idea I was using kvm at all.

Any suggestions?  I'm working from my laptop, but I absolutely need
the desktop more than anything else.

I'm going to reboot from my 18.04 DVD and see if all the hardware is
still functional, but I can;'t believe that much went south just like
that.

/panic

Mark

Re: Upgrade to 20.04.1 disaster

Colin Law

On Wed, 30 Sep 2020, 20:55 MR ZenWiz, <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm not sure if the upgrade completed - it took way too short a time.

Try
sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade
And see what it says.
What were you upgrading from?

Colin

On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 1:37 PM Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Sep 2020, 20:55 MR ZenWiz, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I'm not sure if the upgrade completed - it took way too short a time.
>
> Try
> sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade
> And see what it says.
> What were you upgrading from?
>
> Colin
I wa supgrading from 18.04.4.

I think the problem was that my USB WiFi adapter gave up the ghost.

I reconnected my ethernet cable and to my delighted surprise, it works
(that stopped working a few months ago).

I wiped out my SSD and reinstalled 20.04.1 fresh - that's what I'm now
running on.

I'm having some issues, but I'll figure them out as I go.  The first
one was that it insisted on booting to "ubuntu", whatever that means,
but it always landed in grub.  I fixed the boot order in the BIOS and
it runs fine now.  More or less.

Thanks.  It was a rela panic for a while there - I depend heavily on
this machine working perfectly almost all the time.  I'm glad it's
back up and running.

On Thu, 1 Oct 2020 at 02:51, MR ZenWiz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I wiped out my SSD and reinstalled 20.04.1 fresh - that's what I'm now
> running on.

Not much point asking for help if you ignore the suggestions and just
re-install.

Colin

On Thu, Oct 1, 2020 at 4:21 AM Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Oct 2020 at 02:51, MR ZenWiz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I wiped out my SSD and reinstalled 20.04.1 fresh - that's what I'm now
> > running on.
> >

> Not much point asking for help if you ignore the suggestions and just
> re-install.

That was not my intent, and I mean no disrespect at all to the list.

I had not received any suggestions by the time I needed to move
forward.  I had a reasonable suspicion that my approach would fix it,
and I hadn't counted on losing my WiFi connection, which has been
working perfectly for the last four months.

I probably would not have proceeded if my ethernet line connection had
not started working (it was dead four months ago when I bought the
Netgear WiFi adapter).

I must add that I contacted Netgear support, and they a) only provide
free non-hardware support for 90 days and b) won't do hardware
replacement without a diagnosis.  That's another story, more for
reddit than here.

I do appreciate the suggestions and will keep them around should this
ever happen again - heaven forbid.

Thanks.

Mark