Upgrade to Breezy can no longer network print

Upgrade to Breezy can no longer network print

Charles Yao
Hi all,

I upgraded to Breezy a few weeks back and ever since them my network printer refuse to work. The printer attached to the PC serving as a print server works. However all the other pcs cannot print on it. Some of the pcs simply cannot detect the printer while the rest just says "cups server could not be contacted". I check all the pcs and cupsys is oinstalled in all of them. When i was installing using hoary everything was autodetected. I dont know what happened. It would seem that breezy is inferior to hoary considering all the bugs in ti.

Charles

Re: Upgrade to Breezy can no longer network print

David Hart-3
On Sat, 2005-11-12 at 16:29 +0800, Charles Yao wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I upgraded to Breezy a few weeks back and ever since them my network
> printer refuse to work. The printer attached to the PC serving as a
> print server works. However all the other pcs cannot print on it. Some
> of the pcs simply cannot detect the printer while the rest just says
> "cups server could not be contacted". I check all the pcs and cupsys
> is oinstalled in all of them. When i was installing using hoary
> everything was autodetected. I dont know what happened. It would seem
> that breezy is inferior to hoary considering all the bugs in ti.

I don't think Ubuntu has ever worked out of the box as a network server
as, for security, it only listens to the localhost by default.  Perhaps,
during the upgrade, you let it overwrite the config file?

Try editing /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and look for lines beginning Listen and
<Location /> and change them as necessary to suit your network.

--
David Hart <[hidden email]>

On 11/12/05, David Hart <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, 2005-11-12 at 16:29 +0800, Charles Yao wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I upgraded to Breezy a few weeks back and ever since them my network
> printer refuse to work. The printer attached to the PC serving as a
> print server works. However all the other pcs cannot print on it. Some
> of the pcs simply cannot detect the printer while the rest just says
> "cups server could not be contacted". I check all the pcs and cupsys
> is oinstalled in all of them. When i was installing using hoary
> everything was autodetected. I dont know what happened. It would seem
> that breezy is inferior to hoary considering all the bugs in ti.

I don't think Ubuntu has ever worked out of the box as a network server
as, for security, it only listens to the localhost by default.  Perhaps,
during the upgrade, you let it overwrite the config file?

Try editing /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and look for lines beginning Listen and
<Location /> and change them as necessary to suit your network.

--
David Hart <[hidden email]>

David,

I just checked synaptic and cupsd is not there.  should this be the case?

Charles