Urgent help needed: GRUB doesn't show up on a 19" TFT

Urgent help needed: GRUB doesn't show up on a 19" TFT

Gábor Iglói
Hello!

I'm setting up my collegue's computer with Breezy right now. He has an
Acer 1912 19" TFT which is able to display 800x600, 1024x768,
1280x1024 modes only. Problem is that Ubuntu GRUB provides me a text
mode bootup menu (which is in fact a 640x480 screen) and this TFT is
not capable of displaying that low resolution instead it says "MODE
NOT SUPPORTED". Thus it is impossible to select the required OS from
the menu (it's a dual boot system).

Can you help me? Previously this monitor was able to display a
grapical GRUB boot screen of another distro. I think if I could set
800x600 text mode or a graphical GRUB screen there would be picture on
the monitor during the bootup selection.

Thank you all,
Gábor

PS: I had to use an other monitor even to set up Breezy. I didn't
think of that limitation of that otherwise good TFT would sabotage the
boot selection process.

Re: Urgent help needed: GRUB doesn't show up on a 19" TFT

hometoast
could you post your grub.conf?
your monitor should not have any problem displaying 640x480 text.
without seeing your grub.conf first (or menu.lst) I expect that you are seeing this video mode problem AFTER grub has started booting into ubuntu.  If this is the case, then you only really need to change your kernel parameters.  Post your grub configuration and we'll see what the problem is.

i find also that if grub wont display properly this key sequence works well:
c testvbe 0x11a <ENTER> <ENTER>
i've never had a problem with that video mode in grub.

On 11/7/05, Gábor Iglói <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thank you for your quick answer. Let me stress out the core of the problem:

The 19" TFT is a cheap 1913 (not 1912) ACER which is because it was
40$ cheaper than 1912 is not capable of displaying anything in 640x480
- so text mode even. It is capable of displaying 800x600, 1024x768,
1280x1024 only. Anything that is in 640x480 - text screens like Breezy
installation, even the beginning of Windows XP setup, virtual
terminals 1-6 cannot be displayed, the monitor says MODE NOT
SUPPORTED. I can see the BIOS screen fortunately because it is a
non-standard 720 x something. I had to install OSes with the help of a
separate monitor.

Problem is that I can't see the GRUB menu at all - only MODE NOT SUPPORTED.

Breezy can boot but I can't see the booting process (which is in
640x480 too). I can circumvent this by removing kernel parameter
splash and replace it with vga=789. BUT I cannot see the GRUB
dual-boot screen at all. Poor TFT.

I have also downloaded a splash for GRUB from gnome-look.org
(ubuntu_grub_splash.xpm.gz) and I set up GRUB to use it but since it
is 640x480 too I cannot see that either (only on the other CRT monitor
- the previous monitor).

I know however that GRUB can be displayed on this TFT too because the
previous Linux distro's GRUB could bee seen on it (but only the
graphical one, text mode also didn't worked there) - I think it was in
800x600, maybe 720 x something like BIOS.

I do not know how to set up GRUB boot screen not to use 640x480.

Here is my original menu.lst:

# menu.lst - See: grub(8), info grub, update-grub(8)
#            grub-install(8), grub-floppy(8),
#            grub-md5-crypt, /usr/share/doc/grub
#            and /usr/share/doc/grub-doc/.

## default num
# Set the default entry to the entry number NUM. Numbering starts from 0, and
# the entry number 0 is the default if the command is not used.
#
# You can specify 'saved' instead of a number. In this case, the default entry
# is the entry saved with the command 'savedefault'.
default         saved

## timeout sec
# Set a timeout, in SEC seconds, before automatically booting the default entry
# (normally the first entry defined).
timeout         5

## hiddenmenu
# Hides the menu by default (press ESC to see the menu)
#hiddenmenu

# Pretty colours
color cyan/blue white/blue

## password ['--md5'] passwd
# If used in the first section of a menu file, disable all interactive editing
# control (menu entry editor and command-line)  and entries protected by the
# command 'lock'
# e.g. password topsecret
#      password --md5 $1$gLhU0/$aW78kHK1QfV3P2b2znUoe/
# password topsecret

#
# examples
#
# title         Windows 95/98/NT/2000
# root          (hd0,0)
# makeactive
# chainloader   +1
#
# title         Linux
# root          (hd0,1)
# kernel        /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 ro
#

#
# Put static boot stanzas before and/or after AUTOMAGIC KERNEL LIST

### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
## lines between the AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST markers will be modified
## by the debian update-grub script except for the default options below

## DO NOT UNCOMMENT THEM, Just edit them to your needs

## ## Start Default Options ##
## default kernel options
## default kernel options for automagic boot options
## If you want special options for specifiv kernels use kopt_x_y_z
## where x.y.z is kernel version. Minor versions can be omitted.
## e.g. kopt=root=/dev/hda1 ro
# kopt=root=/dev/hda2 ro

## default grub root device
## e.g. groot=(hd0,0)
# groot=(hd0,1)

## should update-grub create alternative automagic boot options
## e.g. alternative=true
##      alternative=false
# alternative=false

## should update-grub lock alternative automagic boot options
## e.g. lockalternative=true
##      lockalternative=false
# lockalternative=false

## altoption boot targets option
## multiple altoptions lines are allowed
## e.g. altoptions=(extra menu suffix) extra boot options
##      altoptions=(recovery mode) single
# altoptions=(recovery mode) single

## nonaltoption boot targets option
## This option controls options to pass to only the
## primary kernel menu item.
## You can have ONLY one nonaltoptions line
# nonaltoptions=quiet splash

## controls how many kernels should be put into the menu.lst
## only counts the first occurence of a kernel, not the
## alternative kernel options
## e.g. howmany=all
##      howmany=7
# howmany=1

## should update-grub create memtest86 boot option
## e.g. memtest86=true
##      memtest86=false
# memtest86=false

## ## End Default Options ##

title           Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.12-9-386
root            (hd0,1)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-9-386 root=/dev/hda2 ro quiet splash
initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.12-9-386
savedefault
boot

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

# This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the Debian
# ones.
# title         Other operating systems:
# root

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
# on /dev/hda1
title           Windows XP
root            (hd0,0)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader     +1

Re: Urgent help needed: GRUB doesn't show up on a 19" TFT

Gábor Iglói
vbeset 0x122 (800x600x32) would be fine. Where should I write it in grub.conf?

On 11/7/05, hometoast <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-9-386 root=/dev/hda2 ro quiet splash
> > initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.12-9-386
> > savedefault
> > boot
> >
> > ### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
> >
> > # This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the
> Debian
> > # ones.
> > # title         Other operating systems:
> > # root
> >

> > # This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux
> OS
> > # on /dev/hda1
> > title           Windows XP
> > root            (hd0,0)
> > savedefault
> > makeactive
> > chainloader     +1

Re: Urgent help needed: GRUB doesn't show up on a 19" TFT

typically you would put this after the kernel comand. however it  _should_ work before the menu sections.
After you enter that command can you then see the text on the screen?

> [...]

> > kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-9-386 root=/dev/hda2 ro quiet splash
> > initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.12-9-386
> > savedefault
> > boot
> >
> > ### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
> >
> > # This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the
> Debian
> > # ones.
> > # title         Other operating systems:
> > # root
> >

> > # This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux
> OS
> > # on /dev/hda1
> > title           Windows XP
> > root            (hd0,0)
> > savedefault
> > makeactive
> > chainloader     +1

Re: Urgent help needed: GRUB doesn't show up on a 19" TFT

Unfortunately no.

If I do a c testvbe 0x122 blindly then the text animation becomes
visible on the TFT (this is mode 800x600@32bit)

But if I write the vbeset 0x122 before or after the kernel line or
anywhere in menu.lst I see nothing. Doesn't work.

Re: Urgent help needed: GRUB doesn't show up on a 19" TFT

Gábor Iglói
OK. Issue solved. The default GRUB menu shows up in 720x400. Thank you
hometoast and sorry for me being silly - but only today I had the
opportunity to test it on that 19" TFT. However Ubuntu splash doesn't
show up (640x480) but who cares :) Bye

On 11/7/05, Gábor Iglói <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Unfortunately no.
>
> If I do a c testvbe 0x122 blindly then the text animation becomes
> visible on the TFT (this is mode 800x600@32bit)
>
> But if I write the vbeset 0x122 before or after the kernel line or
> anywhere in menu.lst I see nothing. Doesn't work.

Re: Urgent help needed: GRUB doesn't show up on a 19" TFT

hometoast
Gabor, what fixed it? I (and the rest of us) are probably curious.