Use of Bluetooth to test programs.

Owen Thomas
I'm very ignorant of Bluetooth and of WiFi.

I appear to have two Ubuntu laptops that are "Bluetooth enabled", and I am wondering on a very cursory level whether these computers can use Bluetooth in lieu of a WiFi router to test two instances of a program that uses Java sockets to exchange information peer to peer..

I am using WiFi when I test my programs at home, but cannot use WifFi if a router isn't available - when I am demonstrating these programs to others, say.

What are my options?

Thanks,

  Owen.

--
I cut code at an intensity and from a place of my own choosing.
Clique Space(TM). Anima ex machina.

Re: Use of Bluetooth to test programs.

Gilles Gravier-2
Hi!

Le mer. 21 août 2019 à 01:52, Owen Thomas <[hidden email]> a écrit :
I'm very ignorant of Bluetooth and of WiFi.

I appear to have two Ubuntu laptops that are "Bluetooth enabled", and I am wondering on a very cursory level whether these computers can use Bluetooth in lieu of a WiFi router to test two instances of a program that uses Java sockets to exchange information peer to peer..

I am using WiFi when I test my programs at home, but cannot use WifFi if a router isn't available - when I am demonstrating these programs to others, say.

What are my options?

You can turn one of your Ubuntu machines into a WiFi hotspot and use the other as a client device.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/318973/how-do-i-create-a-wifi-hotspot-sharing-wireless-internet-connection-single-adap

Gilles

--
Gilles Gravier - [hidden email]
Using Google Apps web mail

Re: Use of Bluetooth to test programs.

Eliza

on 2019/8/21 14:26, Gilles Gravier wrote:
> You can turn one of your Ubuntu machines into a WiFi hotspot and use the
> other as a client device.

does hotspot require the hardware chipset to support?

regards.

On Wed, 21 Aug 2019 at 16:30, Gilles Gravier <[hidden email]> wrote:
You can turn one of your Ubuntu machines into a WiFi hotspot and use the other as a client device.

You've got me wondering how one might quickly turn the hotspot on and then back off when not otherwise in use. It looks quite involved, and I'm a bit timid of configuration stuff generally. However, thanks for the info Gilles, I may give it a try on my "lesser" laptop in order to avoid calamity.

  Owen.

--
I cut code at an intensity and from a place of my own choosing.
Clique Space(TM). Anima ex machina.

Re: Use of Bluetooth to test programs.

Olivier Nicole-2
Owen Thomas <[hidden email]> writes:

> [1:multipart/alternative Hide]
>

> [1/1:text/plain Show]
>

> [1/2:text/html Hide Save:noname (4kB)]
>
> On Wed, 21 Aug 2019 at 16:30, Gilles Gravier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>  You can turn one of your Ubuntu machines into a WiFi hotspot and use the other as a client
>  device.
>
>  https://askubuntu.com/questions/318973/how-do-i-create-a-wifi-hotspot-sharing-wireless-internet-connection-single-adap
>

>  Gilles
>
> You've got me wondering how one might quickly turn the hotspot on and then back off when not
> otherwise in use. It looks quite involved, and I'm a bit timid of configuration stuff generally.
> However, thanks for the info Gilles, I may give it a try on my "lesser" laptop in order to avoid
> calamity.

In theory, it is possible, many WiFi access points run some flavour of
Linux, so there is no reason why you could not do it.

Olivier

> Owen.
>
> --
> I cut code at an intensity and from a place of my own choosing.
> Clique Space(TM). Anima ex machina.
>
> [2:text/plain Hide]

Re: Use of Bluetooth to test programs.

Colin Law
On Wed, 21 Aug 2019 at 07:30, Gilles Gravier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Le mer. 21 août 2019 à 01:52, Owen Thomas <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>> I'm very ignorant of Bluetooth and of WiFi.
>>
>> I appear to have two Ubuntu laptops that are "Bluetooth enabled", and I am wondering on a very cursory level whether these computers can use Bluetooth in lieu of a WiFi router to test two instances of a program that uses Java sockets to exchange information peer to peer..
>>
>> I am using WiFi when I test my programs at home, but cannot use WifFi if a router isn't available - when I am demonstrating these programs to others, say.
>>
>> What are my options?
>>

> You can turn one of your Ubuntu machines into a WiFi hotspot and use the other as a client device.
>
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/318973/how-do-i-create-a-wifi-hotspot-sharing-wireless-internet-connection-single-adap

Are those instructions up do date?  It is six years old.  I would look
for more recent instructions rather than following those.

Colin

On Wed, 21 Aug 2019 at 17:26, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, 21 Aug 2019 at 07:30, Gilles Gravier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Le mer. 21 août 2019 à 01:52, Owen Thomas <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>> I'm very ignorant of Bluetooth and of WiFi.
>>
>> I appear to have two Ubuntu laptops that are "Bluetooth enabled", and I am wondering on a very cursory level whether these computers can use Bluetooth in lieu of a WiFi router to test two instances of a program that uses Java sockets to exchange information peer to peer..
>>
>> I am using WiFi when I test my programs at home, but cannot use WifFi if a router isn't available - when I am demonstrating these programs to others, say.
>>
>> What are my options?
>>

> You can turn one of your Ubuntu machines into a WiFi hotspot and use the other as a client device.
>
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/318973/how-do-i-create-a-wifi-hotspot-sharing-wireless-internet-connection-single-adap

Are those instructions up do date?  It is six years old.  I would look
for more recent instructions rather than following those.

Colin

Something else has occurred to me.

Part of my test/demo environment will involve shutting down (closing the lid on) both computers, and then opening them up again to see the programs resume their place in the conversation.

Would shutting down the hotspot computer cause any consternation for the other computer? If I'm using more than two, shutting down the hotspot will obviously cause the other computers to stop talking, so if I'm going to demo with more than two computers, I'd have reserve a fourth for the hotspot.

Is Bluetooth a more appropriate solution or is Bluetooth simply not viable for what I'm trying to do?

Thanks again,

  Owen.
--
I cut code at an intensity and from a place of my own choosing.
Clique Space(TM). Anima ex machina.

Re: Use of Bluetooth to test programs.

Gilles Gravier-2
Hello!

Le mer. 21 août 2019 à 09:47, Owen Thomas <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Something else has occurred to me.

Part of my test/demo environment will involve shutting down (closing the lid on) both computers, and then opening them up again to see the programs resume their place in the conversation.

Would shutting down the hotspot computer cause any consternation for the other computer? If I'm using more than two, shutting down the hotspot will obviously cause the other computers to stop talking, so if I'm going to demo with more than two computers, I'd have reserve a fourth for the hotspot.

Is Bluetooth a more appropriate solution or is Bluetooth simply not viable for what I'm trying to do?

You should configure in the power management options that the device not go to sleep when screen is closed...

--
Gilles Gravier - [hidden email]
Using Google Apps web mail

Re: Use of Bluetooth to test programs.

Gilles Gravier-2
Colin,

Le mer. 21 août 2019 à 09:25, Colin Law <[hidden email]> a écrit :
On Wed, 21 Aug 2019 at 07:30, Gilles Gravier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Le mer. 21 août 2019 à 01:52, Owen Thomas <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>> I'm very ignorant of Bluetooth and of WiFi.
>>
>> I appear to have two Ubuntu laptops that are "Bluetooth enabled", and I am wondering on a very cursory level whether these computers can use Bluetooth in lieu of a WiFi router to test two instances of a program that uses Java sockets to exchange information peer to peer..
>>
>> I am using WiFi when I test my programs at home, but cannot use WifFi if a router isn't available - when I am demonstrating these programs to others, say.
>>
>> What are my options?
>>

> You can turn one of your Ubuntu machines into a WiFi hotspot and use the other as a client device.
>
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/318973/how-do-i-create-a-wifi-hotspot-sharing-wireless-internet-connection-single-adap

Are those instructions up do date?  It is six years old.  I would look
for more recent instructions rather than following those.

You are right. It's even simpler. Almost trivial.

Open the configuration panel.
Go to the WiFi tab.
Top right of that Window, click on the little vertical 3 dot menu.
Select "Turn On Wi-Fi Hotspot..."
Follow the instructions.

--
Gilles Gravier - [hidden email]
Using Google Apps web mail

Re: Use of Bluetooth to test programs.

Karl Auer
On Wed, 2019-08-21 at 10:16 +0200, Gilles Gravier wrote:
> You are right. It's even simpler. Almost trivial.
>
> Open the configuration panel.
> Go to the WiFi tab.
> Top right of that Window, click on the little vertical 3 dot menu.
> Select "Turn On Wi-Fi Hotspot..."
> Follow the instructions.

Sorry, exactly what configuration panel is that?

Regards, K.

Karl Auer ([hidden email])
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: 8D08 9CAA 649A AFEF E862 062A 2E97 42D4 A2A0 616D
Old fingerprint: A0CD 28F0 10BE FC21 C57C 67C1 19A6 83A4 9B0B 1D75

Re: Use of Bluetooth to test programs.

Gilles Gravier-2
Karl,

Le mer. 21 août 2019 à 10:35, Karl Auer <[hidden email]> a écrit :
On Wed, 2019-08-21 at 10:16 +0200, Gilles Gravier wrote:
> You are right. It's even simpler. Almost trivial.
>
> Open the configuration panel.
> Go to the WiFi tab.
> Top right of that Window, click on the little vertical 3 dot menu.
> Select "Turn On Wi-Fi Hotspot..."
> Follow the instructions.

Sorry, exactly what configuration panel is that?

In your main Ubuntu screen... Top right corner. Right where you would click to log out. Click there. The menu that appears has at the bottom a list of 3 buttons. The left one is the the settings menu.

You also get there by typing the App (aka Windows, or Apple depending on your keyboard brand) button, and in the general search field, typing "Settings".

On Wed, 2019-08-21 at 10:47 +0200, Gilles Gravier wrote:
> In your main Ubuntu screen... Top right corner. Right where you would
> click to log out. Click there. The menu that appears has at the
> bottom a list of 3 buttons. The left one is the the settings menu.
>
> You also get there by typing the App (aka Windows, or Apple depending
> on your keyboard brand) button, and in the general search field,
> typing "Settings".

OK. Network Settings in 16.04 (no three buttons in the system widget).

The hotspot is WEP only as far as I can see. Might be better in later
versions of Ubuntu. Not useful in 16.04, unless there is some easy way
to configure it (not visible on cursory inspection)...

On Wed, 21 Aug 2019 at 10:08, Karl Auer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 2019-08-21 at 10:47 +0200, Gilles Gravier wrote:
> > In your main Ubuntu screen... Top right corner. Right where you would
> > click to log out. Click there. The menu that appears has at the
> > bottom a list of 3 buttons. The left one is the the settings menu.
> >
> > You also get there by typing the App (aka Windows, or Apple depending
> > on your keyboard brand) button, and in the general search field,
> > typing "Settings".
>
> OK. Network Settings in 16.04 (no three buttons in the system widget).
>
> The hotspot is WEP only as far as I can see. Might be better in later
> versions of Ubuntu. Not useful in 16.04, unless there is some easy way
> to configure it (not visible on cursory inspection)...

It says it is WPA on 19.04

Colin

On Wed, 21 Aug 2019 at 18:15, Gilles Gravier <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello!

Le mer. 21 août 2019 à 09:47, Owen Thomas <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Something else has occurred to me.

Part of my test/demo environment will involve shutting down (closing the lid on) both computers, and then opening them up again to see the programs resume their place in the conversation.

Would shutting down the hotspot computer cause any consternation for the other computer? If I'm using more than two, shutting down the hotspot will obviously cause the other computers to stop talking, so if I'm going to demo with more than two computers, I'd have reserve a fourth for the hotspot.

Is Bluetooth a more appropriate solution or is Bluetooth simply not viable for what I'm trying to do?

You should configure in the power management options that the device not go to sleep when screen is closed...

Naah... the computers are supposed to shut down; the whole point of the environment is to simulate a peer cluster where the participating devices are not always able to sustain constant connection. The instances of the program running on each device are supposed to re-engage in this environment.

I've been running instances of my program on a single computer while I develop the mechanism that mediates re-engagement. This is kind of a graduation for the mechanism that has demonstrated efficacy when instances have been run as multiple processes on a single machine.

--
I cut code at an intensity and from a place of my own choosing.
Clique Space(TM). Anima ex machina.

Re: Use of Bluetooth to test programs.

Owen Thomas
Hmmm.... :-/

I've just discovered that Android provides a whole API for Bluetooth socket connectivity. Perhaps at some point, I can design an extension to my code that uses this socket type. Doing so will help to further separate the abstract function of my program from its implementation over a medium; providing such an abstract implementation of both the server socket and the connection socket may prove at this moment to be a complicated distraction.

Therefore, because my program currently incorporates regular Java sockets in its core implementation, it would appear far quicker at this moment to use one device as a WiFi hotspot, and connect other devices that run instances of my program off that.

Thank you all for your advice; any further advice is welcome.

  Owen.
--
I cut code at an intensity and from a place of my own choosing.
Clique Space(TM). Anima ex machina.

Re: Use of Bluetooth to test programs.

Gilles Gravier-2
Ah!

Le mer. 21 août 2019 à 11:07, Karl Auer <[hidden email]> a écrit :
On Wed, 2019-08-21 at 10:47 +0200, Gilles Gravier wrote:
> In your main Ubuntu screen... Top right corner. Right where you would
> click to log out. Click there. The menu that appears has at the
> bottom a list of 3 buttons. The left one is the the settings menu.
>
> You also get there by typing the App (aka Windows, or Apple depending
> on your keyboard brand) button, and in the general search field,
> typing "Settings".

OK. Network Settings in 16.04 (no three buttons in the system widget).

The hotspot is WEP only as far as I can see. Might be better in later
versions of Ubuntu. Not useful in 16.04, unless there is some easy way
to configure it (not visible on cursory inspection)...

Owen (OP) didn't mention his version. So I assumed latest Ubuntu. :)

On Thu, 22 Aug 2019 at 16:50, Gilles Gravier <[hidden email]> wrote:
Owen (OP) didn't mention his version. So I assumed latest Ubuntu. :)

I have 16.04 on my "greater" laptop - a Dell Latitude E5570, and have 18.04 on my "lesser" - an Acer Aspire E1-522. The lesser laptop has the newer version because I acquired and installed Ubuntu on the lesser laptop only recently. Although I think the lesser laptop is an older computer, I have had the greater one for longer. So, 1: the greater laptop was my only laptop for a long while, 2: the greater's keyboard appears to be more functional than the lesser's, 3: I still do most of my work on the greater, and 4: I have not yet been bothered to upgrade the greater laptop.

Actually (another story) I'm a little frightened of upgrading; the greater laptop appears to be falling apart a bit, and 18.04 appears to have a UI feature which I don't particularly like.

Anyway to the problem at hand, when I go into the WiFi menu on my lesser laptop, there is no option to turn make the computer a WiFi hotspot, so I guess my lesser laptop does not have the hardware capability.

Dilemmas...

  Owen.

On Thu, 22 Aug 2019 at 17:35, Owen Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
Anyway to the problem at hand, when I go into the WiFi menu on my lesser laptop, there is no option to turn make the computer a WiFi hotspot, so I guess my lesser laptop does not have the hardware capability.

Correction. It works.

--
I cut code at an intensity and from a place of my own choosing.
Clique Space(TM). Anima ex machina.

Re: Use of Bluetooth to test programs.

Little Girl
Hey there,

Owen Thomas wrote:

>Actually (another story) I'm a little frightened of upgrading; the
>greater laptop appears to be falling apart a bit, and 18.04 appears
>to have a UI feature which I don't particularly like.

What's the UI feature that you don't particularly like? Also, have
you tried some or all of the Ubuntu flavors to see if you'd like one
of them better?

https://ubuntu.com/download/flavours

I'm currently using Ubuntu MATE, but plan on putting Kubuntu (back)
onto my machine when I upgrade.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

On Fri, 23 Aug 2019 at 04:51, Little Girl <[hidden email]> wrote:
What's the UI feature that you don't particularly like? Also, have
you tried some or all of the Ubuntu flavors to see if you'd like one
of them better?

Don't get me wrong; I like Ubuntu generally. However, in 18.04, when one alt-tabs through one's open applications, and one has multiple sessions of a single application open, at least as it appears on my lesser Acer computer, one has to bring one's right hand to the keyboard to press the down arrow key if one wants to select through to one of the open sessions.

In 16.04, one has merely to wait for the multiple sessions to be displayed.

Perhaps I'm being a bit precious, and although Ubuntu has been good to me, I'd rather just keep things simple and stick to the standard flavour so I perhaps I'll wear the Ubuntu grin and get on with it.

  Owen.