Use of the money that we have in the bank

Use of the money that we have in the bank

Aaron Honeycutt-2
Hello all!

With the new council members I'd like to raise the topic about our funds. Since there is not enough to pay a developer full or even part time I think we should use it for items to sell like stickers, flash drives, pens, and others. This can help us get more members who contribute by being able to have the Kubuntu name out there. It will also help us pull in more funds to help maybe get part time funds for a developer.

Under the 'others' subject we can also get some reading material together to get word out about contributing and the project. I'm looking for other people's opinions and ideas as well as votes from the KC later on.

Re: Use of the money that we have in the bank

Alan Pope-4
Hi Aaron,

On Thu, 6 Sep 2018 at 17:42, Aaron Honeycutt <[hidden email]> wrote:
With the new council members I'd like to raise the topic about our funds. Since there is not enough to pay a developer full or even part time I think we should use it for items to sell like stickers, flash drives, pens, and others. This can help us get more members who contribute by being able to have the Kubuntu name out there. It will also help us pull in more funds to help maybe get part time funds for a developer.

Under the 'others' subject we can also get some reading material together to get word out about contributing and the project. I'm looking for other people's opinions and ideas as well as votes from the KC later on.

How about using the funds to pay for travel to appropriate events?

Alan Pope
Community Advocate

Canonical - Ubuntu Engineering and Services
+44 (0) 7973 620 164
[hidden email]
http://ubuntu.com/

Re: [Kubuntu-council] Use of the money that we have in the bank

Rick Timmis-3
Hi

I don't think merchandise is the way forward. It usually doesn't get distributed, and so is effect is lost.

I think finding a way to have merchandise vendors drop ship for us, and we link in a Shopify account to our website would be better. Kubuntu fans can buy the kit they want, and love and wear it proudly. We get the same effect, and generate some revenue.

I'd like to see more coverage, like the article I wrote for Linux Mag, that generates slot of awareness.

I agree with Alan, having funds to get our core Dev and Council teams out to meet, greet and build relationships would be very worth while.

I would like to try the Kubuntu Kafe again. I need a co-host, script writer, and post show video / audio editor  (Fiver ?) but most importantly we need a social media manager, to keep the momentum and co-ordination.

The best way to grow our community is to engage with it

Best wishes
Rick