Use of the ubuntu-eu.org name

yann-3
Hi folks,

  as most of you probably already know, Ubuntu-de and Ubuntu-fr are
sharing some (4) servers in Paris. For that purpose, we're using some
websites for stats, phpmyadmin, wiki, that kind of stuff. At the
beginning we used master.ubuntu-eu.org, admin.ubuntu-eu.org, etc,
because noone was using the -eu.org, and because it was practical to
have these sites on a neutral dns.

  We had some down time recently, due to the failure of one of the major
datacenters in paris; it pointed out our poor communication, and so we
decided to launch a new website, with a blog, a description of the
servers, a brief history, a donations page, [..]. We were planning to
use www.ubuntu-eu.org ; I think it would be normal to ask, before that,
if everyone is ok with that ;)

  By the way, we are moving to a new datacenter next week, which would
allow us to plug in our last server; which would give us enough CPU for
a while. So I hereby invite to join us any locoteam who wants to!

Yann Hamon - Ubuntu-fr

Re: Use of the ubuntu-eu.org name

Lionel Dricot (aka Ploum)
Hello Yann,

Do you think it could, one day, become an Ubuntu european portal ? A
bit like mozilla-europe ?

Lionel Dricot wrote:
> Hello Yann,
>
> Do you think it could, one day, become an Ubuntu european portal ? A
> bit like mozilla-europe ?

We had this idea, mmh, in July 2005:
http://www.ubuntu-fr.org/ubuntu-eu/

The Community Council didn't like the idea of an official Ubuntu-Europe
organisation  affiliated to Canonical. They said canonical was already
based in Europe, and that there was no need for such an organisation at
that time.  Moreover, Canonical now proposes things I wanted Ubuntu-eu
to do: flyers, hosting, Tee shirts, stickers... and i'm really pleased
to see they have heard us ;)

So, I truly respect their decision; ubuntu-eu.org would be used to get
informations concerning the cooperation between the european locoteams,
mainly about hosting, but should in no way replace every locoteam's
portal. And btw, ubuntu-eu would not have any legal existence.

If some day, we have the need of a new organisation affiliated to
Canonical, we may speak about it again ;) But this is not our goal at
this time.

Yann Hamon - Ubuntu-fr