Using USB Memory Stick to upgrade to 18.10

Using USB Memory Stick to upgrade to 18.10

Christer Wickman
Hi Everybody

I would like to ask I have taken home ISO file for KUbuntu 18.10 and put
it on a USB Memory Stick. Can one use that to upgrade to KUbuntu 18.10
from KUbuntu 18.04? And how do one do that? Since everything that I have
read on forums doesn't work. Because when I did as the forum says I get
a messages that there is no upgrade. I have change on both Server from
Sweden  to the World and LTS to Normal Releases. But nothing seems to
upgrade it. I would rather not do a new installtion since that would
make me lose all data I have on my computer. I even tested the answer I
got from everybody. But nothing seems to work. Can it a bug that the
version I have which is KUbuntu 18.04.1 LTS? Hope you can help me with
these questions-

Yours

Christer Wickman

Re: Using USB Memory Stick to upgrade to 18.10

Billie Walsh
On 10/27/2018 08:43 AM, Christer Wickman wrote:

> Hi Everybody
>
> I would like to ask I have taken home ISO file for KUbuntu 18.10 and
> put it on a USB Memory Stick. Can one use that to upgrade to KUbuntu
> 18.10 from KUbuntu 18.04? And how do one do that? Since everything
> that I have read on forums doesn't work. Because when I did as the
> forum says I get a messages that there is no upgrade. I have change on
> both Server from Sweden  to the World and LTS to Normal Releases. But
> nothing seems to upgrade it. I would rather not do a new installtion
> since that would make me lose all data I have on my computer. I even
> tested the answer I got from everybody. But nothing seems to work. Can
> it a bug that the version I have which is KUbuntu 18.04.1 LTS? Hope
> you can help me with these questions-
>
> Yours
>
> Christer Wickman

My first attempt to install 18.04 on my laptop ended with a working
operating system but incapable of installing anything or upgrading.
Nothing I could do rectified the situation. In the end the only solution
was to download the latest and greatest , wipe the hard drive and
reinstall. Now everything works as it should.

Sometimes desperate situations require desperate measures. *<]:o)

Fortunately I didn't have any really important stuff on it and what was
there I could move over to another hard drive [ yes - my laptop has two
hard drives ] to put back in place once the new install was done.

--
"The dog is a gentleman. I hope to go to his heaven, not man's."

Mark Twain

Re: Using USB Memory Stick to upgrade to 18.10

Ars Ivci
İt can be done if you have a separate home partition.

27 Eki 2018 Cmt 17:19 tarihinde Billie Walsh <[hidden email]> şunu yazdı:
On 10/27/2018 08:43 AM, Christer Wickman wrote:
> Hi Everybody
>
> I would like to ask I have taken home ISO file for KUbuntu 18.10 and
> put it on a USB Memory Stick. Can one use that to upgrade to KUbuntu
> 18.10 from KUbuntu 18.04? And how do one do that? Since everything
> that I have read on forums doesn't work. Because when I did as the
> forum says I get a messages that there is no upgrade. I have change on
> both Server from Sweden  to the World and LTS to Normal Releases. But
> nothing seems to upgrade it. I would rather not do a new installtion
> since that would make me lose all data I have on my computer. I even
> tested the answer I got from everybody. But nothing seems to work. Can
> it a bug that the version I have which is KUbuntu 18.04.1 LTS? Hope
> you can help me with these questions-
>
> Yours
>
> Christer Wickman

My first attempt to install 18.04 on my laptop ended with a working
operating system but incapable of installing anything or upgrading.
Nothing I could do rectified the situation. In the end the only solution
was to download the latest and greatest , wipe the hard drive and
reinstall. Now everything works as it should.

Sometimes desperate situations require desperate measures. *<]:o)

Fortunately I didn't have any really important stuff on it and what was
there I could move over to another hard drive [ yes - my laptop has two
hard drives ] to put back in place once the new install was done.

--
"The dog is a gentleman. I hope to go to his heaven, not man's."

Mark Twain

Re: Using USB Memory Stick to upgrade to 18.10

Bruce Marshall
Exactly......

From: Ars Ivci <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: Using USB Memory Stick to upgrade to 18.10
Date: 10/27/18 2:36 PM
To: Kubuntu user technical support <[hidden email]>

İt can be done if you have a separate home partition.

Re: Using USB Memory Stick to upgrade to 18.10

uteck
The 18.10 version is not a LTS long term support version like 18.04. you need to change the update manager to also look for non-LTS update. Or wait till for the next LTS release.

On Saturday, October 27, 2018, Christer Wickman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Everybody

I would like to ask I have taken home ISO file for KUbuntu 18.10 and put it on a USB Memory Stick. Can one use that to upgrade to KUbuntu 18.10 from KUbuntu 18.04? And how do one do that? Since everything that I have read on forums doesn't work. Because when I did as the forum says I get a messages that there is no upgrade. I have change on both Server from Sweden  to the World and LTS to Normal Releases. But nothing seems to upgrade it. I would rather not do a new installtion since that would make me lose all data I have on my computer. I even tested the answer I got from everybody. But nothing seems to work. Can it a bug that the version I have which is KUbuntu 18.04.1 LTS? Hope you can help me with these questions-

Yours

Christer Wickman

no .sig found
Please restart your browser.